Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugar plum fairy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM
    Haircolor emergency
    I just had my mom dye my hair using garnier 100% color in mahogany brown. This dye was made for naturally dark hair colors, which I figured is the right one for me since my hair's naturally black.

My problem is the dye seemed to be concentrated in the crown of my head! Right now, it looks light auburn/very light reddish brown and as it goes about 2 inches down, the color gradually darkens until it is black at the tips. :(

I need help darkening the color at my crown. Any suggestions? I found a lot of ways to lighten dark hair coloring in this forum, but none on darkening light haircolor.

Thanks in advance!
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Mar 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
    Your hair is more porous at the ends meaning that they will absorb more hair colour than the roots which are healthier and have not been exposed the any other elements such as previous colour, heat styling, etc.

There is no way for you to fix this at home... trust me, I did the same thing. You will need to go to a salon where they may be able to repair the colour. I had to grow mine out and then cut off the dark ends. Sorry! :(
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 13, 2006, 10:54 PM
    Sugar plum, I know what happened to your hair. I'm feeling a little tired and exhausted tonight, and I'm currently on the phone with someone, discussing business plans for an event. I will answer all Beauty and Skin Care questions tomorrow night. You may PM me if you have anymore hair questions. ;)
    -

Mar 15, 2006, 01:52 AM
    Hello, Sugar plum, I've read your PM. I'm going to answer your question on the board so that no one else makes the same mistake.

Using an artificial color on black hair will not make it brown, it will only make it slightly red. You would need to pre-lighten the hair to a level that is lighter than the shade you want, then apply the color . Sometimes colors will process much faster at the scalp than at the mid-shaft or ends due to heat, and the rest of the hair will look uneven. So it is always best to go to a professional any time you want to color your hair two shades lighter or darker than your current color. Keep in mind that ash base colors will cancel out unwanted red tones. But do not use another color on your hair, it will make matters worse doing it yourself.

Sweetheart, I think you should go to the salon to have the color corrected. The hairstylist will use an ash base formula to neutralize the red tones and correct the color. When the hairstylist fixes the color, he/she can give you tips on how to maintain the color on your own.
    -

Mar 24, 2006, 01:22 AM
    Your so welcome. If you have anymore hair or skin care questions, please feel free to ask me.
    MONALISSA07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sugar plum fairy
    i just had my mom dye my hair using garnier 100% color in mahogany brown. this dye was made for naturally dark hair colors, which i figured is the right one for me since my hair's naturally black.

my problem is the dye seemed to be concentrated in the crown of my head! right now, it looks light auburn/very light reddish brown and as it goes about 2 inches down, the color gradually darkens until it is black at the tips. :(

i need help darkening the color at my crown. any suggestions? i found a lot of ways to lighten dark hair coloring in this forum, but none on darkening light haircolor.

thanks in advance!
    Hey me too and I can't get rid of it now what? Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emergency loans [ 3 Answers ]

Lost my job, unemployment ran out, discharged bankruptcy, drained savings and 401k, being divorced, going through depression. I need a personal loan of some sort or one from an organization that assists those in this type of situation. Of course looking for job as I write this. Help.

Emergency COntraception, please HELP [ 8 Answers ]

Um, hi... :( I'm new to using contraception pills. I went to the local drug store and asked for emergency contraception pills. I know am supposed to take them within 5 days of sex... its been 2 days as yet. But these are 28 pills in this golden pack, Microgynon ED andthey are Birth control pills...

Camp Emergency [ 1 Answers ]

Well see I made Cheerleading at Brandenburg middle school in garland Texas and we go to camp to on June 16-19 at tcu and I so scard because I don't now what to do and what to bring??

What to do. Emergency! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey.. Its this girls b-day and I fought with this girl because she is big headed and she said that she would date me if she doesn't like the guy anymore.. so she is lineing me up.. so basically I got in a fight with her.. so what shall I do now.. how can I get her. shall I be an asshole.. and its...

View more questions Search