Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyfullshift Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Windows XP will not boot - keeps restarting
    Hello all! Thank you VERY much for taking the time to read about my issues I have been having! Thank you in advance for all your help! I built my first computer about 3 months ago and I am running on windows XP. As with building this computer for the first time everything went VERY smooth and I made the biggest mistake! I did not install ANY spyware or virus protection. I kept putting it off, and putting it off. One day I had a little pop up message @ the bottom right corner and it said warning your computer is infected with spyware. I immedietly shut down the computer and went out to buy the software I needed. Unfortunetly now my computer will not boot up.. it doesn't say ANYTHING about any errors or anything it just loads normal, but slower then normal.. then it goes to the blue windows logo screen where it says windows is starting up... and then screen goes black, and restarts again and again. Ive tried doing the f8 tapping deal and tried booting in safe mode, last known config. Absolutely every option poss. And it keeps doing the same thing. I have also tried running the windows xp cd and the cd drive will spin and act like its loading. But it will not change a thing. Does anyone have a clue as to what I should try? Thank you VERY much for the help! You guys amaze me!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Sounds like a corrupted Registry. Since the system is only 3 days old I would reformat and reinstall Windows.

Oct 29, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Thank you for your response! Every time I try to boot the windows cd? It will sound like its loading up? But it will not change anything on the boot. It will just boot to windows, say windows is starting... then restart over and over.

Sounds like a corrupted Registry. Since the system is only 3 days old I would reformat and reinstall Windows.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Oct 29, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Howdy:

Make sure the first boot device in BIOS (setup) is set with the cd drive as first..

Once that is done, rather than doing a complete re-install right away, boot to the Recovery Console (using the XP cd) and run a chkdsk /f command.. See if that helps!

Murray

Oct 30, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Hello Murray! Thank you VERY much for your help! Setting up the bios with cd drive as booting first DID help with getting the XP cd to start up. I did go to the recovery console and this screen popped up:

Microsoft Windows XP(TM) Recovery Console.

The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the recovery console and restart the computer

1: C\Windows

Which windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press ENTER)?

So when its asking me which windows installation I want to log into I tried typing in your chkdsk /f command? But it will ONLY let me type in ONE letter. Then when I type in just the letter "f" it says that its invalid and to try another selection. What should I type in @ this point?

Thank you for the help!

Ty
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 30, 2006, 07:38 AM
    A repair install maybe a better course of action.
    Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing a repair install,
    And Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.

Oct 30, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyfullshift
    Hello Murray! Thank you VERY much for your help! setting up the bios with cd drive as booting first DID help with getting the XP cd to start up. I did go to the recovery console and this screen popped up:

Microsoft Windows XP(TM) Recovery Console.

The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the recovery console and restart the computer

1: C\Windows

Which windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press ENTER)?

so when its asking me which windows installation i want to log into i tried typing in your chkdsk /f command? but it will ONLY let me type in ONE letter. Then when i type in just the letter "f" it says that its invalid and to try another selection. What should i type in @ this point?

Thank you for the help!

Ty
    Type 1 as that is your Windows directory!

Murray

Oct 30, 2006, 07:50 AM
    Hey Murray! Lol I typed 1 for the windows directory, and now its asking for the administrators password? I don't remember setting up any passwords for this system? I should probably know this password huh? Anyway of overriding?

Oct 30, 2006, 08:20 AM
    If I completely re-install windows, and it sets up perfectly, but after completion? It keeps restarting? And STILL will NOT load into safe mode? Does that mean I could have a bad hard drive? It is only 3 months old? Could it possibly go bad that soon? Are there any tests I can do on my hard drive?

Oct 30, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Hey Murray! lol i typed 1 for the windows directory, and now its asking for the administrators password? I dont remember setting up any passwords for this system? I should probably know this password huh? anyway of overriding?
    If you can't remember setting a password up, then leave it blank!

Murray

Oct 30, 2006, 09:02 AM
    If i completly re-install windows, and it sets up perfectly, but after completion? it keeps restarting? and STILL will NOT load into safe mode? does that mean i could have a bad hard drive? It is only 3 months old? could it possibly go bad that soon? are there any tests i can do on my hard drive?
    Did you run the repair or is this a possibility you are exploring?

Murray

Oct 30, 2006, 10:31 AM
    I ran the recovery console, in the chkdsk command. It says volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

195350368 kilobytes total disk space.
    192228040 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    48837592 total allocation units on disk.
    48057010 allocation units available on disk.
    I tried typing in the " /p " to actually check on the volume and it says "the command is not recognized" - then type HELP for a list of supported commands and I have a TON of combinations I can check. After I completed the chkdsk command I hit exit, and it restarted, then restarted again and again, it will also not boot into safe mode. Should I try any of those other commands on the recovery console? Thanks for the help!
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 30, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Once you get it up and running, and hopefully you will, make backup disks for your system, get adequate spyware and adware protection for everything. Good luck to you!

Oct 30, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Yes I did run the repair. The repair did not change anything, still restarting right at the windows is starting screen. Also no safe mode.

Thanks for the spyware -adware protection advice! Lol JUST bought some, can't wait to get this puppy up and running! That's the FIRST thing ill be putting on!

Oct 30, 2006, 11:01 AM
    OK! I did check the volume? And it says the volume appears to contain one of more unrevocerable problems. Then it lists the kilobyes and space all that stuff I listed before. Does this mean anything?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 11:03 AM
    You might have had a physical hard drive crash which means that you should get a new HD.

Oct 30, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Needkarma is probably on the right track here with a bad hard drive..

If the chkdsk /f command did not work, then try the re-install as suggested earlier..

Murray

Oct 30, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Thanks a lot for the help guys! You all are GREAT! The hard drive I purchased has a 5 year warranty so ill just have to get another one! And DEFFINETLY stock up on some serious spyware and virus protection! Thanks again for all of your help everyone!
    God Bless

Ty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows XP login failure/ boot freeze [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the Microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running: "Log...

PC restarting [ 5 Answers ]

I have win xp PC.last weak am facing problem.am using my PC per day 12 hours. In this time 4 time PC autometic resart. I don't know what is a problem. Can you solve this things

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

Restarting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gigabyte k7 Triton GA-7N400 pro2 board and I had to reset the bios. After this I found I could no longer restart. The computer will shut down fine and start from cold boot with no problems but if I press ctrl + alt + del or restart from windows the computer will shutdown and begin to...

View more questions Search