Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badmom66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Wire Size & voltage drop - Campground application

I am building a campground. Need to know how to figure wire size and voltage drop per foot
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 07:00 AM

<moved to it's own thread>
    badmom66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Voltage drop
    Wire size. I am building a n RV park. I need to know how to figure wire size. The first camper will be 200 ft from meter center. There will be 16 campers. The main feed from the meter center will come in at the middle of the row of campers.It will run 260 ft. one way and 300 ft. the other way.All sites will have 50 amp service
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 07:58 AM

I think you need to work out a better system. 200 feet is too long and 300 feet is too long. What you talking about is four 200 A services which is about 4 houses worth.

You really should have this professionally looked at with the possibility of placing load centers (expensive ones) near the point of use with a higher voltage feed. Possibly greater than 460 V.

If your worried about remote activation, you could use a RCCB or a Remote Controlled Circuit Breaker, similar, but not the same as these: http://www.flamecorp.com/ETA_PDF/ETA,4930.pdf

Sub-metering can be handled as well.

Also check out Midwest Electric Products, Inc. for RV pedistals.

It's a real ambitious project and it won't come cheap.

It's beyound DIY.

Wiring to the pedistal from a local panel really isn't a problem, but you need a local panel, preferably centrally located.

You need a much higher supply voltage and a transformer with some sort of switch gear designed for 50A breaker. That's 16*240 V * 50/100 (kVA) service. Or about 192 kVA.
    This is about 800 amps.

It's not going to happen at a low voltage and at that distance.

If three phase is available, that could be considered as well.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:07 AM

<threads merged>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please post the formula for voltage drop? Many thanks.

Voltage drop [ 4 Answers ]

If i have a 3 phase motor running in 440volts and drives the cetrifugal fan, then the voltage drops to 20 percent, what happened to running current does it increas or decrease.

Voltage Drop [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to illuminate a tunnel about 3000' long temporarily with 9- 400 Watt Metal Halide fixtures spaced about 320' apart. I have a 120/240 generator single phase that I will use to back feed a 240/480 volt transformer to deliver 480 volts, single phase to the tunnel lights. At 480 volts I...

Voltage drop [ 1 Answers ]

The Voltage will drop after 150 meter wire ,how to sole the problem . Thanks to all

Voltage Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp breaker;there are a total of 7 receptacles on this circuit with a 15 amp GFI on the first receptacle. The first 5 receptacles in line work fine, the last two receptacles which are approximately 70 feet from the 5th receptacle flip the 15 amp GFI off when plugging in a drill. I...

View more questions Search