Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garcianegrin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Where to find jobs for excons?
    Hi
    My ex is an excon , he was in federal prison for almost 10 years, he came out in the summer of 2006.
    It has been very difficult for him to find a job.
    He is very smart and a hard worker given the chance.
    Is there a place in New York City where he can go where they help excons find jobs.
    Where they can set up interviews just help so they can get a second chance in life.
    He is trying very hard to say on the right track he does not want to go back to his old life he wants something better for himself.
    Can someone help him out with any information so he can get started, he just came out of the Half Way House.

Thanks in advance for all your help![/B]
    David Rinehart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 02:43 PM
    I have the same trouble in Florida??

Feb 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
    I am so sorry to hear that I wish you all the best!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2007, 05:54 PM
    In general he needs to work with the unemployment office, also he needs to ask around to see if there are any private programs, often funded though religious groups that help with job training and jobs.

Areas truck driving often with smaller firms is a choice, and jobs in the trades, plumbing, electric and concrete are areas that often have jobs.

It is tough, I just learned this week that here in TN anyone with any felony conviction can't be a insurance agent, It stated it right on the application,

Feb 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Thanks, I will tell his mother to give him the information!
    Mr Dudley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 05:15 PM
    You have to stop thinking job and change it to business.Whatever he is good at is a business opportunity. Now he can hire people to work for him. Pick up a book let him read it. You can not do everything for him. Take him to church.Anything is possible through Christ. Good Luck
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2007, 02:55 PM
    He should start his own business, that way he hires people, I know a great excon who started his own painting business because he couldn't find a job and now he's making more money than he did when he was a con!
    jvwh3b Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Has anyone who is Black, retired, holder of a Bachelor's Degree, but with a slight disability, who wants to work encountered any difficulties in today's job market in finding employment? Just curious. I am of the opinion, from personal experience and from conversations with others that age plays a big factor in not being hired. More so than race or disability. What are your experiences?

Sep 6, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by garcianegrin
    Hi
    My ex is an excon , he was in federal prison for almost 10 years, he came out in the summer of 2006.
    Is there a place in New York City where he can go where they help excons find jobs.
    Where they can set up interviews just help so they can get a second chance in life.
    He is trying very hard to say on the right track he does not want to go back to his old life he wants something better for himself.
    Can someone help him out with any information so he can get started, he just came out of the Half Way House.

Has your question been answered? If not, I can provide a list of organizations that can help your boyfriend.
    nazukeoya Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garcianegrin
    Hi

How I Got A Job As A Felon:

I recently was sentenced in August/2007 for software piracy, putting a felony on my record. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in Graphic Design.

2 months after I was sentenced, I was offered a job doing graphic design work for a prominent dentist office in my area. I told them of the felony and explained what happened and they were OK with it in the end. The #1 reason I got the job was because of God. I give Him all the glory. But even with God's help, I had to put the effort into getting the job. This was my strategy:

First impressions. I knew that there is a prejudice against felons. So I knew that the only way past this prejudice was to have the employer meet me as a person, and get them to like me. I acted nice and curteous to them. I knew that if their first impression of me was of a nice and talented guy, then when I told them of my felony, instead of viewing my felony through their prejudice, they would view my felony through my good first impression.

The problem is that on normal job apps you have to put down the felony. So what I did was apply to places where I just had to email them a resume, no application. So I got a call, interviewed, they offered me the position, I gave them a yes 2 days later and told them of the felony then, a week later they called to say that everything checked out well.

Manipulation is the key. Go for jobs where you don't have to send in a normal application. That way you can choose the right time to tell them of the felony. :)

Nov 6, 2007, 05:24 AM
    This is for garcianegrin who I believe resides in New York City with his/her ex husband/boyfriend. First of all in response to the formerly incarcerated Graphic Designer, even though a potential job applicant submits a resume on-line, if called for an interview, the employer will want an application, and on that application, more than likely the applicant will be asked for his criminal history. Having said that, I say Congratulations to the Graphic Designer.

Now, for garcianegrin's situation. There are several organizations in New York City that deal specifically with ex-felons, they are: STRIVE, 240 E. 123 Street, NY, NY 10035, (212) 360-1100; The Doe Fund, Inc. 232 E. 84 St. NY, NY 10028, (212) 628-5207; The Osborne Association, 809 Westchester Ave. Bronx, NY 10455, (718) 707-2600 or 175 Remsen St. 8Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201, (718) 637-6560; The Fortune Society, 53 W. 23 St. 8 Floor, NY, NY 10010, (212) 691-7554

If these aren't helpful, e-mail me and I'll try to find more.
    nazukeoya Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 7, 2007, 01:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jvwh3b
    This is for garcianegrin who I believe resides in New York City with his/her ex husband/boyfriend. First of all in response to the formerly incarcerated Graphic Designer, even though a potential job applicant submits a resume on-line, if called for an interview, the employer will want an application, and on that application, more than likely the applicant will be asked for his criminal history. Having said that, I say Congratulations to the Graphic Designer.

Now, for garcianegrin's situation. There are several organizations in New York City that deal specifically with ex-felons, they are: STRIVE, 240 E. 123 Street, NY, NY 10035, (212) 360-1100; The Doe Fund, Inc., 232 E. 84 St., NY, NY 10028, (212) 628-5207; The Osborne Association, 809 Westchester Ave., Bronx, NY 10455, (718) 707-2600 or 175 Remsen St., 8Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201, (718) 637-6560; The Fortune Society, 53 W. 23 St., 8 Floor, NY, NY 10010, (212) 691-7554

If these aren't helpful, e-mail me and I'll try to find more.
    That depends on the employer. My experience is that they don't ask for an application. But like I said, it depends on the employer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pricing jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am currently thinking about starting my own office cleaning business. But I don't know how to go about pricing jobs. Has anyone got any experience or advice in that field. I would appreciate any help if you can thank you.

C2c jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I am searching for Oracle corp2corp jobs in US. Please help!

Jobs in History [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about jobs in the field of history and apparently it didn't go through the first time I posted it here a little while ago. I also posted this under History because it pertains to both. I graduated yesterday from Adelphi University with a Bachelors degree in History....

Jobs [ 3 Answers ]

I was on a job for 4 years in October I had problems breathing and the doctor gave me 5 days off with an excuse the job would not except the excuse and counted it towards my attendance I was fired in February and two months later they found the cause a tumor in my head it was removed in July. My...

View more questions Search