Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitochondria Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    I'm looking for answers, not opinions.

Apr 2, 2015, 04:56 PM
    Is it against the law in any way to be touched (non sexually) without consent?
    A relative of mine that I live with seems to think it's okay to hug me and such without my permission, after I've made it very clear that I am NOT comfortable being touched and that I do not WANT to be touched. Is this illegal? Is there a law against it? Something I could use to make it stop?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 04:58 PM
    Your age? His age? Your relationship?

Is he trying to be cute? What's going on in his head?

Apr 2, 2015, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your age? His age? Your relationship?

Is he trying to be cute? What's going on in his head?
    He's my biological father. I'm 16, I'm not sure how old he is. I don't talk to him and he tries touching me to get a rise.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2015, 05:03 PM
    There are laws against assault, there are laws against improper sexual touching. But I doubt if there is a law against a father hugging his child. I would talk to a guidance counselor at school about this.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 05:05 PM
    Is your mom there? Has she interceded for you? Or wouldn't he care? Is he new to your household?

I had an uncle like that. I did my best to stay away from him.

Apr 2, 2015, 05:07 PM
    Is your mom there? Has she interceded for you? Or wouldn't he care? Is he new to your household?

I had an uncle like that. I did my best to stay away from him.
    He is new to the household. I try to stay away with him but I have to leave my room occasionally (bathroom/getting food, of course). My mother looks the other way.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 05:18 PM
    The more you resist and avoid him, the more he's going to make efforts to hug you "to get a rise out of you." Is he teasing or on the edge of abusive? Does he think maybe you don't appreciate him? How about wheeling and dealing with him -- one (honest) hug a day after supper? ...just thinking...

Apr 2, 2015, 05:23 PM
    The more you resist and avoid him, the more he's going to make efforts to hug you "to get a rise out of you." Is he teasing or on the edge of abusive? Does he think maybe you don't appreciate him? How about wheeling and dealing with him -- one (honest) hug a day after supper? ...just thinking...
    I do not talk to him and I do not want him touching me. Ever. I want him to stop. Thank you for the suggestions, though.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitochondria View Post
    I do not talk to him and I do not want him touching me. Ever. I want him to stop. Thank you for the suggestions, though.
    Then, take Scott's suggestion and talk to your guidance counselor about this. You need an adult on your side. (My uncle had to be flayed alive by my mother to get him to leave me alone. NO ONE messed with my mother.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2015, 08:36 PM
    But this is her father, and he merely wants to give her a hug. If it is not sexual, and he is merely trying to get to know her. It sounds like he has been out of her life and is now in it.

Many cultures hugs are normal and expected.

I guess, I may ask, why it is such an issue, if there a hatred for the father, or resentment?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2015, 04:51 AM
    I'd set up a time to sit with him, and your mom, to talk about it. Acknowledge that you know he is your father, but tell him that he also needs to understand that he is new to you.. Let him know, again so your mother hears, that he needs to give you more time to get to know him and for a relationship to grow, before you are are comfortable receiving hugs or physical contact, from him.

Start getting to know him by talking to him... a simple good morning, or how was work, "would you like a drink" when you are getting yourself one. Watch some television together... make a comment on something you see.

For now anyway you are in the same household, best to try and make a decent situation out of it so that you can live comfortably.

Obviously there were some kind of issues in the past if you don't know him but he is living there now. If they were between your mom and him, perhaps they are working them out. If you feel he kept himself out of your life previously, ask about it. He may have had reasons that he felt were valid, he may have just been a jerk about it, he may have not been told you exisisted, who knows, but he is there now and possibly wants to make ammends... he just may not know how.

Family counseling would likely be of benefit for all of you. I strongly suggest that you bring it up when you have that mature and honest talk with him and your mom.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 3, 2015, 06:06 AM
    The only way to get this resolved, for better or worse, is by communicating between the two of you. He seems to be wanting to get a rise from you because you seem to be ignoring or avoiding him. He wants to know why, and you should tell him.

I also think thats what your mom wants too.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 3, 2015, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... But this is her father, and he merely wants to give her a hug. ...
    Not that it matters, but I don't know whether the OP is a boy or a girl, actually.

In this forum, we are asked for, and try to give mainly "legal" answers, not touchy-feely (play-on-words intended) advice about talking it out, getting counseling, etc.

Legally, unwanted touching is (strictly speaking) an assault and battery. Whether the authorities would decide to prosecute under these circumstances is another matter.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 3, 2015, 07:45 AM
    I gotcha AK, however conflict resolution between parties is often the first steps recommended before taking legal courses of actions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Law of Consent in Hawaii ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm 15 & my boyfriend is 17 , are we allowed to have sex? And what about when he turns 18?

My 15 yr old daughter touched without consent by a boy [ 4 Answers ]

My 15 year old daughter's best friend was at a sleepover and a 16 year old boy at the sleepover laid down next to her and put his fingers inside her. This was a good friend of hers and she was scared to say anything and didn't tell him to stop. She did get up to move away and he came back again....

Age of consent for Pennsylvania, terms of the law? [ 8 Answers ]

I went to the movies with a friend who will soon be 22. I am 17. By the end of the night, there was heavy touching and kissing, "making out" and "wandering hands" and I want to know if this was illegal. My friend, a different friend, told me that the age of consent is 16, but limits to a four...

Implied consent law [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested for dui and fail to implied consent law. I have medical problems. I only thing that I wear about is that law. And losing my driver lic. So what can I do to beat that

HIPAA Law and Implied (Verbal) Consent [ 1 Answers ]

If someone comes in requesting you to send information to someone else and you don't have the patient sign a written consent is this against HIPAA policy, especially if what you sent was only generalities and no medical specifics? It was only done to give the patient more time to accomplish...

View more questions Search