Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Manta Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 11:41 AM
    How to tell which wire is the hot wire, neutral wire and ground wire
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 12:14 PM

Usually by the colors. Neutral is white, ground is green or bare and hot is black or sometimes colored like a red, if you are in North America. If you have a voltage detector you can use that to find the hot also.

Oct 28, 2010, 12:21 PM

The two insulated wires are not colored. Both are insulated in a clear plastic. Both look the same. The thirs wire is not insulated and looks thiner.

Oct 28, 2010, 12:23 PM

Where are you located and what are you working on?

Oct 28, 2010, 12:32 PM

Located in Florida. Trying to install a ceiling light fixture.

Oct 28, 2010, 02:45 PM

You must be talking about the wires coming out of the fixture, right? If so it doesn't matter much you connect to your ceiling box hot and neutral. The box should have white, black and green or bare.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 02:44 AM
    It does matter how a fixture using a two wire cord that is not color coded.

One wire will have a rib or notches in the insulation, or otherwise "identified", the other will be smooth or have no markings, The identified conductor will be the white neutral.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 05:11 AM

Like tk mentions, it has a ridges douw the side of the wire very hard to see, almost have to feel for it, this makes sure the shell(outer part of the socket is NOT Hot.
    A multimeter could determine as well, the center pin needs to be the hot(more protected from accidental contact).

Oct 29, 2010, 07:47 AM

Both insulated wires look the same but noticed on the clear insulation of one of the wires there are some very small faint black markings, very hard to see. Do you think this is the neutral wire? Also the third wire from the fixture is not insulated. It looks more like a rope wire. I assume this is the ground wire?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 08:45 AM

The black marks you see identify it as the neutral, which will connect to the screw shell of a lampholder.

Yes, the bare wire is the equipment ground.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 12:18 PM

Yes both clear wires will LOOK the same, did you FEEL for ridges or ohm it out? All else use TK's advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?

Using the ground or (bare) wire for the neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with some wiring that I ran for an outside motion light. Although the hot leg and ground wires are fine, the neutral wire is defective ( it may have gotten knicked or something). Of course, now the wiring is covered up behind a wall that I do not want to tear into if it can be...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

View more questions Search