Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SPUNKY2069 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 03:31 PM
    a/c popping main breaker
    We purchased a reconditioned unit to replace an older unit in a mobile home. The unit worked in the shop where we purchased it. We hooked up the 2 110V lines and then turned on the thermostat to cool. Immediately following, the main 100 amp breaker popped. We then disconnected the thermostat wires and pushed in the relay manually and it popped the main breaker again. Is it something we wired wrong or is it in unit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2006, 03:47 PM
    The main breaker may be defective or have a loose connection, or there may be a miswire, without knowing any amps or seeing the wiring , hard to be specific.

When you say 2-110 lines, you mean using a separate 2 pole breaker just for the AC, correct?
    SPUNKY2069 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Yes, we are using a separate 2 pole breaker. We used 2 8 gauge wires out of the bottom of the double pole breaker. Then hooked up the wires to the bottom of the power block. One on each side. One side has a relay switch the other does not. If there is a problem with any breaker, how do we test it? There is a 60 amp in the a/c disconnect box and 2 70 amp breakers in the main panel in the house.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 05:19 AM
    The wiring sounds OK, is the power block in the AC unit? The relay should be for the compressor and switching both feed wires, as the compressor is 240 volts.

I have to assume the unit is wired correctly internally, but you may want to check it.

It may be easier just to replace the breaker if it is defective, because you need special equipment and knowledge to test a breaker.

The load may be too great for the breaker also, how much load is running? With two 70 amp breakers, what are these for, and how many other circuits are on the main?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Amprobe could help. If you don't have one, With Breaker and Power off, Disconnect load
    Side of Contactor in Outside Compressor Unit, Turn ON Breakers, wait 5 seconds, Set themostat to cool, Breaker Doesn't Trip. Problem may be in outside unit.
    You are saying Unit and also saying 2 70 Amp Breakers, I am assuming separate
    Units, Condensing Lines? Heat Strip?
    Thermostat control due to defect or misswiring, May want to heat and cool at same time.
    Tripping breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer Problem - popping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Last night we stared have a problem with our dryer. When the dryer is running it pops the circuit breaker after 5-10 minutes. I check the wires and heating element and they seem to be fine. Any ideas or suggestions – I’ve got clothes that need drying. Thanks

Switch keeps popping breaker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was try to hook up an outside light to an existing connection for a friend. The original install consisted of using the circuit from the receptacle used for the refrigerator, to power the switch for a light in panty and outside. First off the switch is a duplex type, or a double switch...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Gfci breaker popping [ 8 Answers ]

After installing a second outdoor fan, I tied into an existing fan under an enclosed porch.I decided it would be smart to install a gfci breaker to protect them (vs the standard breaker). The circuit is tied into my kitchen an outdoor spot lights. With all the individual light circuits either...

Did one leg of our 1950's 100 amp main breaker fry because it was overloaded? [ 1 Answers ]

Did one leg of our 1950's 100 amp main breaker fry because it was overloaded by too many dedicated circuits? We have a main breaker with two "legs" outside our house and our main panel inside. Last week, an electrician installed 4 new dedicated circuits -- one each for microwave, kitchen...

View more questions Search