Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuteandfeisty Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 07:03 PM
    How do I build up a life in a new city .
    I am from Europe and moved to Los Angeles to be with the one I love.
    We married 8 months ago, I love him and am happy to be married... but it is incredibly hard for me to be in this city where everybody seems to be in such a rush...
    I am getting isolated, am job hunting and whereas I would have found a job easily in Europe.. here it is frustrating after sending out hundreds of application letters... I am a producer and well... in LA there are Thousands -if not more- producers :( so there are many fish in the pond...

I am getting depressed... not having my own support group of friends and being so far away from family and friends.

It affects me and needless to say that it is hard for my husband to see me unhappy... I feel I am going around in circles...

I miss going out with my girlfriends, having a coffee...

I feel lonely and isolated and am fighting not to get depressed... (well, I guess I am already... just getting it out in the open now... )

Thanks for listening...
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Hi cuteandfeisty. I feel for you. It is very hard to start over in another city, much less another country! And you had to go and fall in love with a man from Los Angeles, no less! :) L.A. is not an easy place to meet genuine people. Once you start stepping out, be very careful of the people you meet. We have a tendency to be so desperate to find new friends that sometimes we don't always use our best judgements. Building solid friendships takes time. If you think about your friends back home, you will know what I am talking about. These are people you have known most of your life. You need to actively seek out people who are like you and your friends.

So, let's start with hobbies and interests. Do you have any? Start looking at some of the colleges in your area and see what courses they are offering. Maybe there is a course that you would like to take or a lecture you would like to go to. Do you like museums? Maybe they have classes or lectures too.

The important thing in finding a job is to start networking with people that are in the same industry. People who are in a position to give you good, solid leads on jobs. You might want to consider volunteering your time to a local charity that has a lot of people in your industry as members.

Your husband should be able to help you in this research.

In the meantime, here are some web sites you should look at. See if there is anything that interests you. Find some special events to attend.

Viator.com | Los Angeles Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing & Things to Do

THINGS TO DO IN CALIFORNIA - LOS ANGELES COUNTY ATTRACTIONS - Hollywood CityPass

Things to Do in Los Angeles

Things To Do In Los Angeles

I have been trying to locate a women's organization or association for producers. Not having the best of luck. But, I will continue to search and get back to you if I turn something up.

Apr 14, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.
    I highly appreciate it and will take a look at the websites.
    Will keep you posted on how things are going... again: thank you for simply taking the time to "listen".

C.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2007, 11:30 PM
    It would help to know what kind of producer you are. That can mean many things in the U.S.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2007, 11:32 PM
    By the way, Ruby gave some really great advice!

Apr 15, 2007, 01:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    It would help to know what kind of producer you are. That can mean many things in the U.S.

True... I am a producer of TV commercials and photography projects.
    Have worked with advertising agencies, production companies as producer and line producer in Cape Town , Argentina, Brazil, Chile en Uruguay.

C.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
    C&F, please do let us know what is happening. I have been in the same situation you are finding yourself in. It is very hard to suddenly start over in a new place. So, keep us posted. In the meantime, I will do my best to turn up some other links that I think might be helpful to you.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2007, 12:52 PM
    I don't know if the following sites will be of help to you as far as knowing where to network with other people in a similar profession as you. But, I thought that I'd give it an attempt. I hope that they are helpful to you. Since you are new to the area, it may mean that you might not be able to start as being some kind of producer, but to get involved with an employment situation where you could work your way up to what you really want to do.

California Council for the Humanities: Programs

@LA Film/Cinema/Movies in Southern California: Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County and Ventura County

los angeles crew gigs classifieds - craigslist

SAGIndie » Resources » Production Directory - California - Hollywood - 101 - Producer

California - South Film TV Jobs Employment Broadcast Recruitment - mandy.com

Production Central: United States/California/Los Angeles/Crew/Production Department

Film, TV, Video and Broadcast - Crew in USA - New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, Orlando, New Orleans, Dallas, Buffalo

Casting Networks Inc., Los Angeles
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Just one more link for you.

USA California - South (Los Angeles, Hollywood) - Mandy's Film and TV Production Directory

Apr 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Thank you so much... this is absolutely helpful.
    I will definitely keep you posted on what's happening :) :) :)

C.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

How do you build? [ 1 Answers ]

How do u build a ramp that slants up than it goes flat then back down?

Build a jetty [ 1 Answers ]

How do you build a jetty? Is there any websites out there that will show me?

Help to build PC [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I want to build my own pc from scratch including new tower etc. Does anyone out there have a simple step by step quide on how to do it. I want help and advice on everything from choosing the right motherboard to once finished how to format it etc. I would also like to hear what...

Help to build a PC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I want to build my own pc from scratch including new tower etc. Does anyone out there have a simple step by step quide on how to do it. I want help and advice on everything from choosing the right motherboard to once finished how to format it etc. I would also like to hear what...

View more questions Search