Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shazgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2015, 03:29 PM
    How do I work back my inactive muscles?
    I just removed my cast about a week ago. I've earlier fractured my 5th metatarsal (pseudojones) from a fall. After the removal of the cast I was advised to walk. But I feel twitches in my heel and the sole of my foot while walking and it hurts. It scares me from walking as I am afraid I might break one of my bones again while stressing the leg. What do you suggest as the best exercise to strengthen my leg muscle?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2015, 05:13 PM
    1. Best quality walking shoes, with socks, and gel pads inside, and a good thick rubber sole. Look at Sketchers.
    2. Walk gently and deliberately, noting how you place each foot forward, how your heel lands, how you follow through. There's no need to walk fast.
    3. Be sure to be warm as you walk. You don't have to do limbering exercises the way runners do, but it's based on that idea.

You won't break a bone. Just walk more slowly if it twinges. When you go home, soak it in a big bowl of warm water, then massage it, or at least keep it elevated and warm.
    When sitting and lying around, wiggle it as often as you can.

You could join a gym for other exercise ideas that don't require you to put your weight on your feet, but which need special equipment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2015, 10:21 PM
    If the bones are properly healed. (your doctor should know that) you can not break another bone by just walking.

If you have a lot of concern, get the doctor to get you also into some physical therapy.

Muscles, tendons, ligaments will hurt after not used for months. After not walking for over a year, I had to actually lean to walk again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it OK to work out the same muscles in a 24 hour period [ 2 Answers ]

I want to increase my time in the weight room because I'm not doing a winter sport this year but I do both spring and fall sports. But I don't want to do any harm to my muscles

Inactive birthcontrol pills [ 2 Answers ]

Yaz birthcontrol has 4 inactive pills at the end of each pack if I have sex during those pills will I have a normal riskof getting pregnant

Back muscles are killing me! [ 2 Answers ]

It starts under my arms and wraps about midway into my back.. it started about 2 days ago. I can barely put deoderant on or even lift my arms up... its like a huge charlie horse that keeps getting worse. I haven't done anything different... no exercise . I am 20 yrs old. Perfect health. No new...

Back muscles [ 3 Answers ]

Does anybody have any idea how can I train back muscles, without a machine or a pole to lift. I only have weights small one and the big one (bench). Thanks

View more questions Search