Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JackieDee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Rights and child support issues
    All right so my husband had a child with his ex wife.. no one is sure that the baby is his to begin with... but anyway, she never took care of the child so the child was taken away, her mother got her a lawyer and they settled out of court and then they came with the police and took the baby while the babies father was out of the house.. very very wrong of them... anyway after that she said he was not allowed to have any contact with the child, she told him to his face that she was not going to tell the child who he was, now she keeps pressing and pressing for more and more money yet he is not allowed to see her or have contact.. the one visitation he had she started trouble and she told the judge that he was going to injure or harm the child.. that's a lie.. he was never a bad father he always loved her but now he has no choice but to stay away they have money for lawyers we do not...

My question is this, how can he terminate his rights when he doesn't even know where the child is and if he is caught asking about it he is afraid she is going to call the cops and say he is stalking her... and... since he has no way to see her, the child doesn't even know what he looks like, there is no attachment, and she refuses to let him be apart of her life, is there anyway he won't have to pay support... she has money her family is very rich, a lot of the stuff she did was just to be mean, she has no problem lying in court, she did it at every single one of the probate court hearings and the divorce hearings.. what can we do, he is so stressed out I want to help him out but neither of us know what to do?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 08:16 AM
    You NEED a lawyer. In a situation this convuluted, you're going to be glad in the end that you got one.

Giving up his parental rights will NOT get him out of child suport--let's be quite up front about that.

If he wants to be a part of the child's life, he'll have to take it to court and get ordered visitation rights.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 08:20 AM
    First of all, he needs a DNA test, you say that no one is certain the baby is his. So, if it's not his, then basically your question is moot.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jul 26, 2007, 09:40 PM
    DNA might not solve the issue. As in some states there are limitations on times to contest paternity. Since they were married and he did not contest the paternity at the time of all the previous court appearances he could be very well out of luck in that arena.
    JackieDee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    DNA might not solve the issue. As in some states there are limitations on time periods to contest paternity. Since they were married and he did not contest the paternity at the time of all the previous court appearances he could be very well out of luck in that arena.

He did state in court that he was unsure of the paternity, but this is a very difficult situation as she was lying in court the whole time the judge believed her and took it out on my husband... the court didn't offer a paternity test and it was way to expensive for us to pay that is why he didn't get one to begin with.. this is all so very complicated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support Issues [ 4 Answers ]

My live-in boyfriend (of 5 years) and I have a baby. He also has two teens that he pays child support to (25% of his income). He also has to travel to another state every other weekend to see them, which is very expensive. We are really struggling to make it. Meanwhile, his ex makes over $250,000,...

Child support and Rights [ 9 Answers ]

Okay... I don't even know how to start this. I'm getting married on July 1st. BUT, I have a couple questions because my fiance's ex has a baby who she's claiming he's the father to. We're waiting on the papers so he can take the paternity test, but the question I have is this: My fiance's ex...

View more questions Search