Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfs1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Tenant/Landlord Rent
    My roommate and I lived in a privately owned condo for one year (we moved out 14 months ago). When we lived there, we sent our rent checks to the landlord, who did not cash them for five of the months (we believe he was in rehab). Now he is calling asking for the money again and we don't have it but have offered to pay him back slowly, but we are wondering if we should really have to pay all of it back since we originally paid him (when we did have the money) and he chose not to cash the checks? We want to be fair, but also don't want to be taken advantage of... Thanks if you can offer any suggestions!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
    If you paid by check, and he did not cash the checks, were did the money go? Are the checks void after a certain period? Because if he did not cash the checks, the money should STILL be there, in your accounts. What did you do with the money?

Something is not right here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 08:05 PM
    I will agree if you wrote the check, ( the checks are still good months latter,) all he has to do is take those checks to the bank and cash them.

Since you owed the money, and you wrote a check out I am sure you did not spend the money, but left it in your bank account showing that it was due to a check out.

If you thought he was not going to cash them, and you spent that money, you had better find a way to pay him quickly, since if he takes those checks to the bank and they are not good, he can press criminal charges against you on that.

So yes to be fair, you cancell the old checks, and write him a new one today, anything else is not fair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant is late with rent every month and is now avoiding Landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I think I might have a complicated question but am hoping someone out there knows the answer to this. I own a property and entered into a month-to-month lease with the Tenants (Husband and Wife). Generally, in my state (Florida), I am legally required to give a fifteen day notice to the...

My tenant won't pay last month's rent [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant who is a tenant by the previous property owner will not pay the last month's rent. She says that the security deposit is the last month's rent. I told her that is the deposit if there are damages to the property. I also believe that the previous owner did not pay the...

DC-Tenant never paid first month's rent [ 3 Answers ]

My new tenant signed a lease, paid a security deposit, but never made her fist month's rent. She had some ridiculous excuses, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. It has been a week since the start of her lease. She has not taken possession of the unit. Can I cancel the lease and keep the...

Tenant rent in Texas, abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

I have no lease agreement with this tenant they have not paid rent in 6 months they are not living there they come in middle of the night get clothes and other personals. What are my rights of abandoment and getting the use of my property back. What is considered abandoment.

Tenant can't pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

I have been renting out rooms in my house to make ends meet until it sells . The renters knew it was for sale before they moved in . One of the renters told me she can't pay the rent this month cause she quit her job as it was to stressful . She also said if I had to evict her then do it . I am on...

View more questions Search