Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anka Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Can send but not receive in Yahoo
    Hi all:)

Have not receiving emails in Yahoo since August! Have tried sending from alternate email accounts- which initially say message has been sent, before receiving failure delivery message - but no messages received in Yahoo.

Can still send emails.

Don't know if it's relevant, but had previously tried setting up account to check email from my Hotmail account (via Mail Options --- Mail Addresses --- Mail Accounts), which didn't work. Have subsequently removed this, but still not receiving emails.

Help!:confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:04 AM
    Are people replying to your emails or are they typing in your emaill address and getting undeliverable errors?

Jan 30, 2006, 05:14 AM
    Have tried both ways from my own Hotmail address and from family Yahoo and Hotmail addresses. No joy!
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anka
    Have tried both ways from my own Hotmail address and from family Yahoo and Hotmail addresses. No joy!
    OK, lets do a test OK. I will Private message you my email address. Send me an email and I will reply. Then we will see what happens.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 06:24 AM
    I just sent you an email. It went through as "Sent" and I have had no faliure delivery message to say it has not gone through.

I have had problems receiving emails before. It always turned out to be the very simple thing. People were putting @yahoo.co.uk - instead of @yahoo.com. So in your case people could be putting yahoo.com instead of @yahoo.co.uk.

Let me know if you did receive my email - you should have done.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Hi, Anka,
    I use Outlook Express with a dial-up telephone line, through an Internet Service Provider.
    My wife and I started getting the "failure delivery message" and also another message about "will retry for 30 hours"!
    After about 2 months of calling the ISP HelpDesk, finally a "good" tech found the problem. We had to change our "outgoing mail server" ID to something else.
    We could not send from our home computer to Yahoo, until we changed it.
    The setting was under Outlook Express when opened. It was then under Tools, Accounts, Properties, then the Servers tab.
    I don't know if this is your problem, but it might help in some way.
    Best of luck.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Fred,

As Anka is using web-based email she does not have access to changing the pop or smtp server settings. Just a heads up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2006, 07:32 AM
    The one thing you haven't told us is the reason for failure. I'm assuming you are getting a Mailer Daemon return mail informing you of the failure. That mail should list a specific reason.

Also are you able to log into your Yahoo account and get to the mailbox?
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The one thing you haven't told us is the reason for failure. I'm assuming you are getting a Mailer Daemon return mail informing you of the failure. That mail should list a specific reason.

Also are you able to log into your Yahoo account and get to the mailbox?
    She can get into her inbox OK, and she can send emails, she was just having trouble receiving. She was trying to send herself emails from her other accounts and was receiving Failure delivery messages.

I sent her one though and I did not get a failiure delivery message.

I am just waiting for Anka to respond and let me know if she got it OK.

Jan 30, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    she can get into her inbox ok, and she can send emails, she was just having trouble receiving. She was trying to send herself emails from her other accounts and was receiving Failure delivery messages.

I sent her one though and I did not get a failiure delivery message.

I am just waiting for Anka to respond and let me know if she got it ok.
    I read through the thread carefully before posting my response. I just double checked it to make sure. No where was it specifically stated that she was able to log into her Yahoo mailbox. There was a reference that indicated you might have gotten an e-mail from her, but I have no clue whether its from the address that's the problem or not. All that was referred to was sending mail from other services and getting a delivery failure. Also nowhere was the EXACT message mentioned, which might give us a clue as to why the e-mail may be rejected.

I'm also waiting for Anka, to respond with the information I asked for so that I may be able to give some more definitive help.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I read thru the thread carefully before posting my response. I just double checked it to make sure. No where was it specifically stated that she was able to log into her Yahoo mailbox. There was a reference that indicated you might have gotten an e-mail from her, but I have no clue whether its from the address that's the problem or not. All that was referred to was sending mail from other services and getting a delivery failure. Also nowhere was the EXACT message mentioned, which might give us a clue as to why the e-mail may be rejected.

I'm also waiting for Anka, to respond with the information I asked for so that I may be able to give some more definitive help.
    Scottgem, she emailed me from her hotmail account, giving me more information, so can you have a little bit of faith in what I am saying.

She is having problems with her Yahoo account. She is able to login and send emails, just not receive them. She has tried to send emails to her Yahoo account from her hotmail account and various other accounts, but incurred problems (failure messages). I sent her Yahoo account an email from my Yahoo account and I have had no failiure message, but cannot confirm it has been received my Anka until she responds.

We are both trying to help Anka, so please do not turn this into another argument. Lets just wait for Anke to respond.

Jan 30, 2006, 11:09 AM
    I'm not trying to turn anything into an argument. YOU responded directly to a post of mine in this thread. In that post you posted info that had not been part of the thread and the tone seemed to be chiding me for asking the questions that I had asked. Frankly, I saw no reason to post that note at all. As you said you should have just let her respond with the info requested.

The only info it contained that wasn't already in the thread was about her accessing the account. And I don't understand why you needed to answer for her. Let her give the info I need and then I'll try to provide additional help. I don't think either of us needs anyone else to be a go between.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 03:05 AM
    Scottgem, I am just trying to be helpful. I have a few ideas to what may be the problem - and I naturally thought you would have some ideas also. Sometimes twos heads are better than one in solving problems. I was just trying to be informative with the info I have because she had not responded. I was just communicating what I knew, it's nothing to do with being a go between. Just thought perhaps it would trigger something off in someone's head to go - that's happened to me before and this is what happened. Just trying to help Anka out the best way I can.

Jan 31, 2006, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    Scottgem, I am just trying to be helpful. I have a few ideas to what may be the problem - and I naturally thought you would have some ideas also. Sometimes twos heads are better than one in solving problems. I was just trying to be informative with the info I have because she had not responded. I was just communicating what I knew, it's nothing to do with being a go between. Just thought perhaps it would trigger something off in someones head to go - thats happened to me before and this is what happened. Just trying to help Anka out the best way I can.
    In my opinion, the best way to help is to simply let the OP answer the questions asked and not answering for them. If you see someone offering incorrect advice, by all means correct it. But I still see no valid reason for you to have quoted my response and provide the info you did.

My main point here is that Mailer Daemon failed notices include an explanation of the reason for the failure. Once we know that reasons, we can have a better idea of the problem. Without knowing that reason we are just speculating. So, please, Anka, return to this thread and give us the info we need to help you.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Indeed, but what I am trying to get at is, I have emailed the Yahoo account she is having a problem with and I have received no failure deamon message. It has sent with no problem! So I assume she has received it. Maybe that's why she has not replied, because it has worked and she feels embarrassed. My theory about the @yahoo.com & @yahoo.co.uk may have been the answer. It's an easy mistake that I made many times as have my friends.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Ok so I just received a Failiure message for the email I sent to Anka. I have replaced the first part of her email address with "Address" so that I do not disclose her actual address - but this is what the message reads:

Subject: failure delivery

Message from yahoo.com.
    Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
    <[email protected]>:
    Can't open mailbox for [email protected]. Temporary error
    //I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too
    Long.

So now do you have any ideas scottgem? My theory is out the window because it did not work.

Jan 31, 2006, 08:47 AM
    A "Temporary error" is too ambiguous to diagnose accurately. But it does indicate the problem is on Yahoo's side and has nothing to do with the sender. I would like to know if Anka has gotten the same message or different ones. I PM'ed her asking her to come back and give us more info. Hopefully she will.

With the info available to us I would have to say to contact Yahoo or wait until they fix whatever problem it is.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Jan 31, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Hi,
    I am wondering why nobody has tried the Yahoo help. There is one particular question related to this issue which has been answered by Yahoo help. The question is "Someone sent me a message which I have not received. What happened?

There are few issues for non receipt of messages like blocking the sender, mail filters etc. I think it will be better for Anka to open the Yahoo help from her mail browser and look for this questin and answer. I think she would have switched on the mail filter.

Hope Anka will be able to solve the problem. If it does not help there is an option to contact them for help.

Feb 1, 2006, 04:21 AM
    Hi
    Sorry for the delay in responding - have been offline. I can log into the mailbox, send emails but I cannot receive them.

Definitely the right address, since have tried sending from my daughter and husband's addresses in both Yahoo and Hotmail. Also plenty of space in Inbox since I've only used 1%!

Initially goes through as sent, but subsequently received Mailer Daemon report as follows :

------------------------------------------------------------------

Message from?yahoo.com.
    <[email protected]>:
    //I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
    --- Original message follows.
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    X-Rocket-Track: cat=UK;
    info=ip:NN<ip=64.4.51.17,policy=n-w0,n100,g0>;sv:UK<ip=217.12.12.189>;sg:UK<size=too small>
    X-Originating-IP: [64.4.51.17]
    Authentication-Results: mta103.mail.ukl.yahoo.com
    ?from=hotmail.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 64.4.51.17?(EHLO hotmail.com) (64.4.51.17)
    ?by mta103.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:57:43 +0000
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
    Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:57:42 -0800
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Received: from 64.4.51.220 by by107fd.bay107.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;
    Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:57:41 GMT
    X-Originating-IP: [194.187.32.1]
    X-Originating-Email: [[email protected]]
    X-Sender: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Bcc:
    Subject: Hello
    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:57:41 +0000
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html; format=flowed
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 26 Jan 2006 10:57:42.0182 (UTC)
    FILETIME=[54881C60:01C62267]

Hello
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Hope this explains things more to you than it did to me!

Have tried contacting Yahoo's Customer Care but just got back standard help page!

Thanks for all your replies

Feb 1, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Hi
    Sorry for the delay in responding - have been offline. I can log into the mailbox, send emails but I cannot receive them.

Definitely the right address, since have tried sending from my daughter and husband's addresses in both Yahoo and Hotmail. Also plenty of space in Inbox since I've only used 1%!

Initially goes through as sent, but subsequently received Mailer Daemon report as follows :

------------------------------------------------------------------

Message from?yahoo.com.
    <[email protected]>:
    //I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
    --- Original message follows.
    X-Rocket-Track: cat=UK;
    info=ip:NN<ip=64.4.51.17,policy=n-w0,n100,g0>;sv:UK<ip=217.12.12.189>;sg:UK<size=too small>
    X-Originating-IP: [64.4.51.17]
    Authentication-Results: mta103.mail.ukl.yahoo.com
    ?from=hotmail.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 64.4.51.17?(EHLO hotmail.com) (64.4.51.17)
    ?by mta103.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:57:43 +0000
    Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
    Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:57:42 -0800
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Received: from 64.4.51.220 by by107fd.bay107.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;
    Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:57:41 GMT
    X-Originating-IP: [194.187.32.1]
    X-Originating-Email: [[email protected]]
    X-Sender: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]
    Bcc:
    Subject: Hello
    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:57:41 +0000
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html; format=flowed
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 26 Jan 2006 10:57:42.0182 (UTC)
    FILETIME=[54881C60:01C62267]

Hello
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Hope this explains things more to you than it did to me!

Have tried contacting Yahoo's Customer Care but just got back standard help page!

Thanks for all your replies

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B receive both W2 and 1099 [ 14 Answers ]

I got H1B in 2004. In 2005 I helped one professor with a project. At that time I didn't know it is not legal to work for someone who is not your H1B sponsor. In 2006 I received both W2 from my current employer and 1099 from the professor. The amount he paid me (about $10,000) was listed in #7...

Not able to receive mails on Yahoo as well as rediffmail [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending mails through my site. Persons with hotmail, gmail account are able to receive mails, but persons with Yahoo and rediffmail account are not able to receive. Can anyone please tell me what is the problem.

Must hit send/rec to receive email in outlook 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am new to this site so please bear with me as I learn. My question is: I set a friend up with a linksys router on his desktop, and set up email accts. For he and his wife, in outlook 2003 on his laptop. Laptop connects to internet fine (wirelessly), sends email automatically when...

I couldn't send and receive email from outlook 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem to send and receive email from outlook 2003 behind a linksys router. I configured my outlook 2003 auto send & receive email in every 1 min. When outlook starts send & receive process, It would pop up a window asking me Enter Network Password. When I click OK, it keeps pop up again...

View more questions Search