Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roycemek Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Oct 2, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Q's About Compact Fluorescent Recess Lighting
    I have a couple q's about some of the compact fluorescent recess lights I've been looking at from Halo. I'm planing out some lighting for the front of my garage and I will be using these in the soffits in front of the garage door for accent lighting/wall wash. I'm curious what the difference is between the 5" energy star model (570 series) and the non energy star model (513 series). Is it just a certification Halo did for marketing or is there something more too it?

Also, in looking at the 570 series from Halo they have a 570 (13W), 571 (18W), and 572 (26W). They all seem to use the same type of bulb just different wattage. Could I buy the H570 housing and then later change to a 26W bulb or is there something internally that would prevent this? I'm wondering if they provide a different ballast with the different models or is it just that they include a different bulb and therefore give it a different part number.

Thank you,
    Royce M
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Royce,

Several words about CFLs. While they work wonderfully in many standard light sockets, they don't seem to like being enclosed.

What you really need to do is make sure that the lamp base your are going to use supports the CFL Ballasts at the base of the bulb.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Besides not liking enclosure, CFL do not like low temps. How cold will it get in your area?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Take a good look at them and read what the packaging says. I think most of them come with the ballast built in. If they are selling exterior grade fixtures, I would expect the bulbs that come in them to work outdoors in them. If they aren't exterior grade fixtures, don't install them outside. Are what you are looking at CFL's or halogen bulbs? Older fixtures had limits on the bulb wattage. With the newer bulbs, again, read the wattage limits on the fixture and don't exceed it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Perhaps if the previous answers had done some research they would discover that their advice had been not valid, since these ballasts are internal to the fixture, the lamps are specific to the socket, the fixtures are specially designed to handle CFL lamps, and not all CFL lamps are screw in type.

The 570 series is compliant with the California Title 24 energy saving regulation: http://www.cooperlighting.com/specfi...24brochure.swf

And Energy Star :Light Bulbs and Fixtures : ENERGY STAR

Here is the specs on the fixture:

Halo: Product Detail for H570ICAT, H571ICAT, H572ICAT, H573ICAT1D

Any fixture installed in in California must be Title 24 compliant.

This and Energy Star is not marketing. This is government legislating energy savings, which I do agree with, to some extent.

If you live in California, then you have no choice but to use the 570 series.

If not, you may use the 513 series.

If you can foot the added cost for the 570, as I am sure they cost more, I recommend the 570 series, in an effort to have the most efficient fixture possible.

Good question on the ballast. The ballast used in all three fixtures may or may not be the same ballast rated for all three lamps. Throw of the dice. Fixture manufacturers buy ballasts from many sources, and for a particular production run may use a different ballast than the last run.

Plus when they have a fixture tested by UL or another third part testing lab, they must show the part numbers and what the fixture is rated to handle.

Best to stay with the lamp rated for the fixture you chose.

I hope this helps.

Oct 2, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Very good info.

You brought up a couple more questions. I'll be installing these on my home in the southern CA area and temp ranges here are usually 40 - 115 at the extremes. I've looked through all the specs for the H570, H571, and H573 and haven't run across any mention of exterior grade or min/max temps. Is this something of a concern? I thought I read in another post that recess lights are generally OK to be installed indoors or outdoors.
    Do you know if it is OK to mount these fixtures outdoors?

As a side note, I really appreciate the help from this board. I tried calling Cooper Lighting / Halo to speak with a technical rep and they referred me to a dealer of theirs that had no clue about the lights or CFL's in general.

Thanks,
    Royce M
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 03:04 PM
    CFL can be used indoors and out but must be shaded/protected from the elements. As the temp drops so will the amount of light.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Both series are UL rated for wet locations per the Labels listed on the spec sheet.

The lamp is what is temperature sensitive. They have come a long way from the early lamps.

See starting at page 5-8 of the GE lamp book:

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Catalogs/GE_CFL.pdf

Look for the base # G24q, you will find lamps starting at 32 Deg F and go down to -4 Deg F. You can chose the lamp temp that suits your needs.

Wind blowing can affect an open lamp fixture. If wind is prevalent, then consider a closed lensed fixture.

These types of fixtures, and many others, are used extensively in commercial applications with CFL lamps.

Oct 4, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Thanks all. I really appreciate the help.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
    If you haven't purchased your lights yet, you may want to look into Ruud lighting... they are out of Wisconsin, either Kenosha or Milwaukee. I have used their fixtures for several years (20+) and the quality is great. I am sure they could locate a distributor for you; and I am sure they could supply a catalog if you requested. Good luck with your project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compact fluorescent lamps in ceiling fans [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible to use compact fluorescent lamps in a Continental Hunter fan (model 23843) and also two Hunter Allendale fans (model 28023)? Also would like to use them in my Hampton Bay Huntington 2 fan (3 lights)? Thank you...

Fluorescent and incandescent recess lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 recess fluorescent lights controlled with 2 3-way switches. Can I add a incandescent recess light to this circuit? Thanks

Flickering fluorescent tube lighting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have the long fluorescent lighting fictures in my den (2 long fluorescent bulbs per ficture). One of the fictures (both bulbs) are flickering... more like they are half on than flickering, kind of give off a grayish appearance. I put in 2 new bulbs but got the same issue. I installed a new...

Spacing of Recess Light [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing recess lights in my living room (20' x 17'). The old ceiling has been demolished, so the installation is relatively easy. My question is: How far apart should I space the lights to have adequate general purpose lighting in the room?

Compact Fluorescent Spring Lamps [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I've noticed that certain brands of compact fluorescent light bulbs (sometimes called "spring lamps" because of the way the bulb is shaped) will light up immediately upon flipping the switch (like a regular incandescent bulb), while others, such as GE, will have a noticeable "lag time"...

View more questions Search