Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nick187666 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 05:39 AM
    virus, please help
    I've got a message on my computer saying C:\WINDOW\TEMP\SE.DLL is infected with trojan horse start page.19.J
    I haven't a clue what to do, please help.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 05:48 AM
    http://www.androidworld.com/prod91.htm
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2005, 05:49 AM
    What gave you that message? What anti-virus do you use? What instructions did the message give about removing or quaranting?

Sep 14, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Ive got AVG anti virus and that said 'while opening c:\window\temp\se.dll trojan horse start page.19.J was detected. Back up copy infected'
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nick187666
    Ive got AVG anti virus and that said 'while opening c:\window\temp\se.dll trojan horse start page.19.J was detected. back up copy infected'
    Did you even click on the link I gave you and read the information?

Sep 14, 2005, 06:36 AM
    I did click on the link, it doesn't say anything about windows 98 which is what Ive got. Plus it reads like I need a degree in computing before I touch anything
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 06:42 AM
    I did click on the link, it doesn't say anything about windows 98 which is what Ive got. Plus it reads like I need a degree in computing before I touch anything
    Yes, I agree, it is quite involved and I did not know your expertise level. If you have high-speed internet on that computer you can try an online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Sep 14, 2005, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Yes, I agree, it is quite involved and I did not know your expertise level. If you have high-speed internet on that computer you can try an online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
    It doesn't seem to be working, I have a delete option when the AVG pops up with the virus detection... is that something I can do without affecting the operating system
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2005, 07:25 AM
    Virus
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE; and AVG Antivirus.
    When AVG finds a virus, in your case the Trojan, it will ask if you want to delete it. Tell it YES.
    If it sends it to the Virus Vault, you can do an Empty Vault, and that's the same as deleting it.
    There are two ways to open AVG from the desktop.
    You can click on the Icon on the desktop, or go to Start/Programs/AVG Antivirus/AVG Control Center. Then in the Control Center, click on the Virus Vault, then left click on the virus name, and at the top, click on Delete.
    The other way is to Right click on the AVG icon, down on the bottom right in the tray, by the clock, and left click on Virus Vault, then delete it from there as well.
    You can safely delete or Empty anything AVG finds!
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 07:25 AM
    It doesn't seem to be working, I have a delete option when the AVG pops up with the virus detection...is that something I can do without affecting the operating system
    Yes. It will take a while so shut down any programs so that the browser is the only thing running, start the scan by following the directions then walk away for while.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2005, 07:45 AM
    Scan
    Hi,
    If you are going to use AVG to do a Virus Scan, the best way is to do it in SafeMode... more effective and faster.
    Go into SafeMode. If you don't know how, then reboot the computer, and press down and hold the F8 key, on top along the row of F1, F2, etc.
    Then, use the keyboard arrows to select SafeMode, then press enter.
    When the desktop is displayed, click on Start/Programs/AVG/then AVG Contol Center, and run the scan.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Sep 14, 2005, 10:37 AM
    It doesn't seem to be working, I have a delete option when the AVG pops up with the virus detection...is that something I can do without affecting the operating system

If AVG is giving you a delete option, then use it. That's what's its for. It will not affect the OS. This is how A/V programs work. If they detect a virus, they will notify and give you options to deal with the virus. Generally you will have an option to delete, clean or quarantine. You can select whatever option your A/V offers.

Sometimes, the A/V cannot automatically clean out the infection. In that case you need to research the virus at your A/V vendors web site for instructions on how to remove. While those instructions may seem involved and complex, you don't need to understand exactly what they are doing. You just need to follow the steps EXACTLY as written.

Sep 17, 2005, 04:20 PM
    I need more help...
    I run the avg scan and the infected files are in the vault. I tried to cure but it didn't work. Should I delete this file(c:\windows\temp\se.dll)?? Notice that avg doesn't prompt me with -delete virus but with delete file. Don't I need it. I'm a serious newbie so Im really at a loss. Help

Sep 17, 2005, 08:15 PM
    If AVG says to delete it delete it. Its unlikely that you need it.

Sep 18, 2005, 09:35 AM
    I think I've just about gotten over my crisis. Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Express1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 02:52 PM
    To remove the virus
    Run antivirus. If this is a true trojan, your going to have to run "msconfig" and disable the virus from the startup and also turn off system restore for the time being. With trojans you're going to have to also remove it from your Windows Registry. Registry Mechanic is a good program to run. Its about $40 but its worth it. When I uninstalled my Norton IS, it left 75 registry entries. Registry Mechanic will also defrag your registry. After the trojan is removed, turn back on system restore

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help me,Is it a virus or what? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi folks,, I am so happy to join this site cz it's the most valuable site in the whole net,, and I have a problem(as usual... lol) I want you please to help me through it... Actually it's 2 problems :confused:... first: whenever I try to close any program, a strange message -for instance- says: ...

Possible New Virus [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Emails are being circulated and forwarded with a new virus warning, for which there are not yet any Antivirus Definitions. The following may or may not be a Hoax. A new virus is going around. It comes to you in email with the subject line "A Card for You". If you open this email, the...

Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have trend Pcillin virus scanner which finds the follwing viruses : ADW_NCASE.A ADW_MIWAY WORM SOBER A These are shown as deleted but when I scan again they are still there When I do AVG virus scan - these do not show Helppppp please - are they there or not Thanks

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search