Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    regal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
    How to lay down peel+stick tile
    Hi, my name is regal,I'm new to this site.
    I would like some answers on laying down peel+ stick tiles over existing 12" tiles. Do I just lay them down after I clean my floor good?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 06:42 AM

You posted 5 times in half an hour. Everyone here is a volunteer. Please be patient and someone will answer you in due course.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 06:54 AM

I would make sure of a clean floor, measure the room to see how much edge you will have left over(4" on each side?) then you could do a couple of ways, find the center of the opposite walls, thenform a cross in the center of the room, lay one exact straight line of tiles, orientated correctly, then keep laying down all the full squares until you get to the wall, then cut those small pieces.
    You may even want to start with full pieces along a wall.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 09:02 AM

Some of those tiles has an arrow on the back for pattern. I use ( Lick and hope the stick) tiles in rentals and for basic reasons. Over the years I found no matter what, they seem to shrink and get gaps in them. Even the mid grade tiles. I've never had much long term luck.

That's why I nick named it lick and hope they stick.

The down side is if it's a bathroom or kitchen the tile joints become exposed to water and usually fail/lift on edges . I'm for a sheet full cover floor.

So look for patterns arrows on the backs of the tile. And just follow the box directions carefully.

To lay it out pick the longest wall find center of room from there and both ways. Snap chalk line. Lay out tile dry to check what you end up with fir size pieces. Sometimes you can get 2 pieces out of one tile if you adjust layout center to wall cuts. Work from the center out in blocks. If it's a big floor snap lines about every 6 to 8 feet for "control" on straight lines.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 07:44 PM

I agree with 21boat but if you must use these I would recommend that you use a floor primer, most peel-n-press will recommend something along this line. The primer increase the bonding strenghth by over 3x. Wickes  – Tiles – Tile Accessories – Maintenance – Floor Tile Primer and Admixture or another product TILE PERFECT VINYL FLOOR TILE PRIMER 96300 TILE PERFECT
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Mar 13, 2009, 08:27 PM

Does your current tile have any type of pattern in it. If it does your going to have to either remove it or skim it with a floor leveler.

If you don't the old pattern will eventually show through the new tile.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 12:46 AM

If u don't cover existing tile with a glued down membrane or 15 lb felt , the new tile will crack after some time at the seams of old tile.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peel and stick tile glue [ 2 Answers ]

How can I neutralize peel and stick tile glue?

Peel & Stick tile over existing tile [ 2 Answers ]

Can you install peel and stick tile over existing ceramic tile (bathroom). I am trying too but the tiles don't won't to adhere? I have even sprayed 3M adhesive first!

Peel& Stick Tile over Concrete [ 1 Answers ]

My wife an I were going to buy peel and stick tile from home depot to put in our basement. We were not planning on just relying on the adhesive on the tile, we were also going to set the tile in a separate adhesive. The gentleman at home depot didn't recommend peel and stick over concrete floors...

Peel and stick vinyl tile [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a protective coating that you can put on the tile after installation

Peel and stick tile [ 4 Answers ]

How can I keep my peel and stick tile from popping up? I've tried sticking more glue on the back of the tile, but that does not work. It is being put on 1/4 plywood subfloor.

View more questions Search