Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 29, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Accepting Androids
    How would you feel associating with an Android who was virtually indistinguishable from human? I recently read in Scientific American Magazine concerning the psychological reaction people have when in the presence of a machine which is striving to mimic not only human thought processes but also the human appearance.

It was stated that the more human-like a machine the appeared the uneasier humans felt in its presence. Perhaps this is a culturally influenced reaction and would disappear in time. But I have a feeling that it will take some effort before we can look upon such a machine as being a normal part of our lives.

Interesting Article
    http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyJ7...s/art0180.html

BTW
    Be warned that the article is followed by poster interchanges which eventually degenerate into namecalling.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 29, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Marketing radical products to humans requires smaller steps, I do believe. I suspect machines need to look like machines, at least until we give them the Madison Avenue make over, then maybe it'll work...

Or maybe if they were regulated to smaller, much smaller... oh and custom tricked out to look like whoever purchases one... you know, your own Mini Me?

Now that might coax us into comfortable acceptance. Nothing works like a good old fashioned stroke to the ol' ego! :cool: hahaha
    -

May 30, 2006, 02:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Marketing radical products to humans requires smaller steps, I do believe. I suspect machines need to look like machines, at least until we give them the Madison Avenue make over, then maybe it'll work...

Or maybe if they were regulated to smaller, much smaller... oh and custom tricked out to look like whoever purchases one... you know, your own Mini Me?

Now that might coax us into comfortable acceptance. Nothing works like a good old fashioned stroke to the ol' ego! :cool: hahaha

I guess the newer generations who grow up with such things would have an easier time with acceptance. I personally don't think I could ever get used to having something like that around me for too long since I would always be suspecting that it could malfunction or else be tampered with. But as you said, it is a gradual process and the industry would try to find some way to make these things less threatening. The movie industry with its Sci Fi rebellious Androids such as the one in the film Alien and Terminator definitely doesn't help.

BTW

There was a talking monkey figure that was provided free on the Internet.
    It simulated conversation by reacting to typed input in a seemingly conscious manner. My daughter downloaded it to her computer and all went well.
    But one day we were having an argument and that figurine spontaneously addressed her by her name and told her she should not treat me that way. Needless to say she immediately erased it from the computer.

Now there has to be a rational explanation but I don't see it.
    So it's that kind of thing which interferes with my ability to accept such a machine as a normal part of my life.

But that's just me.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2006, 05:40 AM
    HI,
    Interesting question.
    It will be here someday, in the future.
    I remember back in the 50's, going to a State Fair in FL. ONe of the biggest attractions in "New Science" and "things to come" was a microwave oven. It was amazing at how fast they could boil a cup of water! And cook an egg!
    Things change. Personally, I would LOVE to own one; great house cleaner, cook, run errands, whatever!
    Best wishes.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 30, 2006, 08:13 AM
    It's a fun idea - The robot with a soul... ;) However...

I disagree with Anne Foerst's assertion that "functioning and beneficial communications" is somehow a measure of how a machine can be considered a person. Adaptation of that idea worked for a television script. It doesn't cut it in real life.

It's novel to believe that we can somehow put all these parts together - like a Frankenstien - and have it all "come alive". I just don't believe humans will ever create a sentient machine, let alone one with a soul.

I do believe humans can really care about machines. After all, how many guys are in love with a "special" car?

I also believe human-looking robots could be very beneficial to society. I can easily magine how people would buy a human looking robot just so that they have someone to talk to. Some people might even want one as a sex toy... ;) The thing is they are machines, not room mates. You can put them away if you don't want to talk to them...
    -

Jun 27, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow

Make it small enough and I could imagine it coming after me like one of those chucky dolls. But again that's just me.
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 27, 2006, 12:19 AM
    "It was stated that the more human-like a machine the appeared the uneasier humans felt in its presence."

I mean, I would agree with that! However, its not like I FREAKOUT whenever I use the toaster. Hehe.

I wouldn't mind playing tennis with one or something, (a human Android, not a toaster (would toast my balls)). Accepting them in to society would be a little more difficult, as they might be slaves first, or something, but, I wouldn't mind one being a friend, If they were indeed friendly!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 12:39 AM
    It reminds me of that show The Outer Limits.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 27, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Hey look I just made peace with my toaster now here you come and mess it up .For the record I'm against anything in my house being smarter than I am or better looking with the exception of my wife!
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 27, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Long before we see intelligent androids, I think that the actor androids will be everywhere.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tsmeMHSuduY&search=actroid

I've also seen a interactive Android that would replace a receptionist behind a desk. You could ask "her" where an office was, and "she" would respond with the floor and directions to the elevator. http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com...ves/004834.php

I think these will be all over the place in the coming years, and by the time intelligent androids arrive, people will be very used to them.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 12:52 PM
    I read that article and remember thinking I must be odd (Yeah, I know: Most of you already know that :rolleyes: ). I would frankly love it.

Especially in the case of, say, a house-keeper - or other position where duties are concerned. I would far prefer communicating with the human like Android than a human.

This does not apply for me in social circumstances; I'd just say ones where the Android or person is working for me.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 27, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Frankly I would love it but then I like talking to answering machines too... so go figure?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search