Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momoko122 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Capital Punishment
    Are you for or against? Please give me your reason as well.

Thank you
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2009, 03:21 AM

Hi, Momoko122!

I've moved your question to this forum topic area because I think that it will be much more likely to be noticed and addressed here than if it remained in the Writing forum topic area.

Thanks!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:59 PM

That's not as straight forward as you think... sometimes when I hear of some of the crimes that have been committed, especially against little children or senior citizens... my instinctive reaction is... they ought to be hung drawn and quartered,or they should have the same thing done to them as they put their victim through,
    But then on reflection... I then think... no that would be too good for them they should be made to suffer, all their liberties taken away and locked up for the rest of their natural life(no parol etc.) which if they have a young family would be a kind of torcher.

On the other hand, it would be their family that would be serving the sentence, which again would be unfair.

The problem with capital punishment is that it is final, no if's or but's... your dead, which again raises the problem of what if's...

What if the person was innocent,as he constantly stated?
    What if new evidence came forward to prove this, it would be to late, there dead.

There have been several cases where a person who has been found guilty in a court of law,they were then locked away for many years only to be released an innocent man, his life nearly gone family grown... he has nothing, those years cannot be replaced,not to mention the victimization his family must have gone through for many years.

There will always be an element of doubt, no matter how much evidence points to the persons guilt, no matter how convince we are that this person is such a nasty piece of work that he's definitely... GUILTY

BUT IS HE..!. WOULD YOU WANT TO BE THE ONE TO PUT THE NOOSE AROUND HIS NECK OR PRESS THE BUTTON?

I couldn't...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 02:03 PM

Hello Momoko:

Against. It ain't right to kill.

excon
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

Mar 26, 2009, 02:52 PM

Against, because of the possibility of innocence in some cases and killing is wrong however you look at it. Immediate self defense would be the only exception to "killing is wrong" imo.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 28, 2009, 05:15 PM
    I support capital punishment for murder and other serious crimes that cause death or serious injury to other people. I support it because if a murderer's life is spared, that is like saying that his life is more valuable than the life of the person he killed and I think that is very wrong. I don't think it is a deterrent, but I think that retribution and closure for the victim's family are good reasons. Public safety is also a good reason, a person in jail could escape or be paroled, but an executed person will never victimize anyone again.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Apr 7, 2009, 07:07 PM

FOR!! I say, in cases where there is at least 2 credible witnesses or it is caught on tape, or if there is a clear, absolute confession... cases where it it absolutely cut and dry... IMMEDIATE EXECUTION!! Other cases where possibly the evidence is not 100%, I guess let him sit on death row for a while... at least he'll get tortured a bit before his imminent death.

I'd wager the crime rate may drop a tad if executions were performed basically immediately and publicly.

I'd also support the death penalty for child molestation. There is no rehab-ing those people, sorry. Don't care what anyone says, if you're attracted to someone or something sexually, prison time is not going to change that. NOTHING will change that. If you think that is possible, then you would have to think that a gay person can magically become straight, or vice-versa... which is ludicrous.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 31, 2009, 10:26 AM
    For.

It improves the species. I know that's cold, but we are the only species that does not cull ourselves. If we don't, nature will.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

May 31, 2009, 05:02 PM
    If there is incontrovertible evidence, via DNA and/or security cameras and/or witnesses, I say yes. For crimes of murder, and extra heinous rape/torture situations. There is zero rehabilitation for these types of criminals, and I don't think it's fair that they go on to live and commit more crimes in prison.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2009, 07:37 PM

I don't believe in it

1. in many cases there is always a chance of error of jury

2. it costs the state millions in court fees and attorney fees each year

3. and it does not fully punish the person, I know it kills them, but the idea of never ever getting out of prison, when they wake up each morning is far worst punishment

4. while the state has a legal right to take a life under the law. I don't personal believe it should
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:23 PM

Wow, this question has been around a while, on this board.

If someone is convicted of killing, does that make it okay for us to condone killing them? If you are for capital punishment does that make you pro-murder?

Why not just castrate them after they are convicted 3 times. Brand their forehead and turn them loose. How many people have been raped or murdered by a eunuch? How many guys would be stupid enough to commit a second or third offense if they know their forehead will be branded, etc. Of course, that solution doesn't work as well for women. There would be fewer inmates to take care of though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Budgeting. Cost of Capital. Cash Flow NPV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, This is really URGENT!! NEEDED BY THURSDAY NOON I tried to do this myself but just couldn’t find where to start. Any help would be very much appreciated. CAPITAL BUDGETING TECHNIQUES. This question is based on a case study in Fundamentals of corporate finance 4ed. Ross,...

Importance of keeping paid in capital separate from earned capital [ 2 Answers ]

In all of the reading I've done, it has described what paid in capital is and what earned capital is. However, I can't seem to find anything specific about why it is important to keep them separate. My guess it that Paid in Capital is money that is used in the operations of the business and are to...

The Pros Of Capital Punishment [ 2 Answers ]

What is the pros of capital punishment?

Capital punishment [ 32 Answers ]

Is execution of murderers a deterrent to crime

View more questions Search