Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Hey there Oneguy! Did you have something more rustic in mind? I saw you were on line earlier today so I just quickly ran a check for style to see if my mind was going in the same direction as yours. Let me know when you have time.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 10:05 PM
    I liked those quite a bit, but I'm still mentally trying to sort out if I want something without the patterns. Maybe plainer or less associated with the southwest or cultural group... not that anything is wrong with that, but I don't want people to think that I am pretending to be part of some other group than I am... I really appreciate your help!
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    I liked those quite a bit, but I'm still mentally trying to sort out if I want something without the patterns. Maybe plainer or less associated with the southwest or cultural group... not that anything is wrong with that, but I dont want people to think that I am pretending to be part of some other group than I am... I really appreciate your help!
    I sort of thought that you might be wanting less designed. Just wanted to know if I was understanding a little bit of what you were sharing. I love the idea and hope you do it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 12:28 AM
    All this talk about old artifacts has contributed to me wanting to wear some really old style clothing... well, more of a blanket I guess like I believe people wore long ago. Any ideas about finding something like the Indians wore in the old movies, that would be socially acceptable and not have people laughing at me? I'm sort of thinking about a ponch or blanket type thing with a whole cut out to put head through... Is that too odd???
    I have searched high and low for authentic looking ponchos. If anyone on the forum can direct me to those, it would be great. I have a picture in my head but all the ones I have found even on the sites dedicated to authentic clothing from that era, do not have what you mentioned. I will be anxious to see what you come up with.

For some reason, I was not notified by e-mail when you answered so didn't get right back to you. I apologize.

Have you ever panned for gold? I have such a desire to do that. I have watched numerous programs on cable about it and I purchased a pan when I lived in California. Just really get excited about those days. It is not the gold so much as the challenge to find it and then just the feeling of accomplishment I think one would have upon finding even a little tiny nugget.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 09:11 AM
    I have not done that, but have been thinking about it many many times. It does seem very appealing. Same with metal detector type adventure which I have done a little bit of.

I've actually been wondering about starting a business related to that type of product. I would really enjoy it but don't know what kind of market there is, or if it is glutted?

Now you've gotten my mind started on that again... seems like I have so many ideas and so little time (and money) for any of them... unfortunately it seems that most of my time is directed toward making money to squeak by with no burden of trying to figure out what to do with extra... well actually the burden would be how to get extra... Seems like there should be a way to shift the primary tasks in life to those that are enjoyed instead of only having those for dreams and enjoyment for brief periods?
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 11:20 AM
    I have not done that, but have been thinking about it many many times. It does seem very appealing. Same with metal detector type adventure which I have done a little bit of.

I've actually been wondering about starting a business related to that type of product. I would really enjoy it but don't know what kind of market there is, or if it is glutted?

Now you've gotten my mind started on that again... seems like I have so many ideas and so little time (and money) for any of them... unfortunately it seems that most of my time is directed toward making money to squeak by with no burden of trying to figure out what to do with extra... well actually the burden would be how to get extra... Seems like there should be a way to shift the primary tasks in life to those that are enjoyed instead of only having those for dreams and enjoyment for brief periods??
    It has been several years since I have had any experience with a metal detector and it was my brother's and it was one he had purchased and had to build himself. It was not very sophisticated and we found a lot of pop caps but each find to me was fun. I looked for one to purchase a few years ago. I found exactly what I want. I think the brand was called "Whites". Not sure. I think it was around $700.00. It showed the depth the item was and the shape, etc. The store is in Tulsa, but like you, no extra funds and when I have extra funds, no time to purchase it or use it. I saw on cable a guy who had found something like 300 (alot but not sure if it was that many) or more gradution rings and always tries to get them to their owners. He had a detector that he could use under water. When he contacted the people, they would say it couldn't be theirs because they lost it while swimming, etc. He would tell them where he located it. How fun to bring happiness that way. One was worth several thousand dollars because of the weight of it, a huge ring. The owner asked how much he owed him for the ring and the guy said just come and get it. I collect rings so would be thrilled to find any ring. I would enjoy finding buttons from the war between the states or old coins, any old jewelry. Well, I won't go on but you see I get very excited about things like this.

We will both one day do these things in our hearts to do. As I stated in an earlier post, maybe I was born in the wrong time. LOL :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Oh that is some cool stuff! One of my very limited hobbies is in finding people who are in photographs, diaries, or letters based on the setting, topic, theme, or any identification that I can come up with.

I once had a series of 20-25 love letters written in 1915 that I found in the attic of my home. They were between the couple who had lived there for about 70 years or so? Anyway, I was able to find a daughter of theirs from Florida who was very excited to get them.

On a garage sale, I once bought a high school class picture from the 20's, so I took it an hour away to where the high school was and began asking questions of older people that I saw there. I know it was dumb, but the first guy I showed the picture to told me the names of some of the people, and even where to find one of them that very minute. So I took the picture to the woman, and amazingly, she also had a twin in the picture and even new which one of her class mates that the picture had belonged to based on a number on the back... evidently, each person in the picture had a number from top to bottom left to right, to make sure that each person had gotten a copy, each picture was numbered individually!

I was also taking a tour of old homes in the past, when I found a camera on the ground. I asked around, but it belonged to no one there. I looked at the camera and found a roll of film which I had developed. In the pictures, I recognized a school shirt so I took the pictures there to the office and explained the situation to them, they asked one of the students in the picture to come to the office. That student knew immediately who the camera belonged to. It was a music teacher, and had students recital/performance pictures on it.

Also done this with a diary, and old post cards a couple of times, but not too much to say about those cases...
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Oh that is some cool stuff!! One of my very limited hobbies is in finding people who are in photographs, diaries, or letters based on the setting, topic, theme, or any identification that I can come up with.

I once had a series of 20-25 love letters written in 1915 that I found in the attic of my home. They were between the couple who had lived there for about 70 years or so? Anyways, I was able to find a daughter of theirs from Florida who was very excited to get them.

On a garage sale, I once bought a high school class picture from the 20's, so I took it an hour away to where the high school was and began asking questions of older people that I saw there. I know it was dumb, but the first guy I showed the picture to told me the names of some of the people, and even where to find one of them that very minute. So I took the picture to the woman, and amazingly, she also had a twin in the picture and even new which one of her class mates that the picture had belonged to based on a number on the back... evidently, each person in the picture had a number from top to bottom left to right, to make sure that each person had gotten a copy, each picture was numbered individually!!

I was also taking a tour of old homes in the past, when I found a camera on the ground. I asked around, but it belonged to no one there. I looked at the camera and found a roll of film which I had developed. In the pictures, I recognized a school shirt so I took the pictures there to the office and explained the situation to them, they asked one of the students in the picture to come to the office. That student knew immediately who the camera belonged to. It was a music teacher, and had students recital/performance pictures on it.

Also done this with a diary, and old post cards a couple of times, but not to much to say about those cases...
    Oneguy, I thought things like this only happened in movies!! Those were some amazing stories. I appreciate you sharing those. That took a lot of work tracking people down. Do you write these experiences down? Surely you could sell some of the stories and make some extra cash to fund your ventures you are thinking about!! :) Well, I have faith in you to do so. Maybe easier said than done in getting them published, I am not sure but would sure be worth looking into. Maybe someone on the writing thread could give pointers on getting stories published. I can see your experiences being developed into a movie but then I do dream large! I believe in the things I say, I just don't know how to make them happen.

Just between you and I and the rest of the world on this forum :p :p :p I think I have attachment issues and if someone found a camera I had taken special pictures on and returned it, how blessed I would feel. I get stressed if I lose a pencil I am needing to use with my art, even though I could run down to the local art store and buy one. I lost a ring when I was quite young. It was from Siam. My mother's cousin gave it to her. She was a missionary there before it became Thailand. So you see, I never forget the things I loose. Therefore you can understand part of why I love your stories and feel blessed knowing there are people who care about history, whether for history sake or for having such a heart for people.

Having lost my dad about a year and a half ago, reading anything he has written warms my heart. I cannot imagine someone contacting me with letters he had written to my mother. They had been married 60 plus years, my math mind is shut down for today! Ha. Anyway, a lot of history of love, caring, giving.

I hope to read more of your adventures. Thanks so much for sharing them! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Thanks for telling me that. I enjoy sharing the stories. I found a guy in Ohio to teach my son and I how to pan for gold, so now I'm planning a trip! Really low cost too... $10 and we each get to keep our pan and are promised to find a "teeny" bit of gold! Not sure when yet, but weather is a factor, and the guy is ordering more supplies currently so he will get back to me.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Thanks for telling me that. I enjoy sharing the stories. I found a guy in Ohio to teach my son and I how to pan for gold, so now I'm planning a trip! Really low cost too... $10 and we each get to keep our pan and are promised to find a "teeny" bit of gold! Not sure when yet, but weather is a factor, and the guy is ordering more supplies currently so he will get back to me.
    Oh my goodness! When did you find the guy that is going to teach you and your son to pan for gold? Is he local to you? Please take pictures and post here. Will the trip be soon? I am so pumped that you get to do that! Made me smile tonight. That will be a great sharing time for you and your son. Those kind of times together just can't even be explained. It is like time encapsulated to keep forever, separate from all other times. Thanks for telling me about the trip. Keep me posted.

I have been hoping others will jump in here to join us in our excitement of history, artifacts, panning for gold, using metal detetctors and share stories. I noticed the thread is getting some views so hopefully others will get excited enough to share with us. Please tell me more about the trip plans, how long will you be gone or is it a day trip?? I am full of questions now. I will be happy to read about your experience and how you discern what is the real deal. I have seen shows as I said on cable but seeing it in person, the colors, the sand mixed in, the silt, etc. I love this! I saw one show not long ago that says gold is really almost anywhere, it gave helpful hints for locations but says it drifts down so it isn't just in one area even though the big strikes of years ago were in a certain area, gold can be found most any where if you know how to pan correctly.

I love it Oneguy! Please share also about your son's take on all of this. My kids were always happy to be introduced to new surroundings and experiences and still are. Just good times! :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 09:53 PM
    I don't know any details about the trip yet, but will let you know. It might not be for awhile.

Earlier this fall, I followed a hot air ballon with my son, and one of his school buddies, so they could see it land and help out with the packing up... It was a ton of fun! We have also gone to stay overnight on battleships, and a couple of trips to Niagara Falls. A number of trips around Ohio to visit various cave formations as well. We've even done a number of fishing trips with my dad as well. My son caught a turtle! I love doing anything with him!
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 09:55 PM
    I created a thread about treasure hunting and panning for gold that a few people have posted on as well.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:00 PM
    I don't know any details about the trip yet, but will let you know. It might not be for awhile.

Earlier this fall, I followed a hot air ballon with my son, and one of his school buddies, so they could see it land and help out with the packing up... It was a ton of fun! We have also gone to stay overnight on battleships, and a couple of trips to Niagara Falls. A number of trips around Ohio to visit various cave formations as well. We've even done a number of fishing trips with my dad as well. My son caught a turtle! I love doing anything with him!!
    The area my parents were raised in was in Missouri. When they were dating, movies were shown in an old cave called "Jolly Cave". There was an old mill in the area also, areas to fish in, etc. One place in the cave, only large enough to put your head and shoulders through, you could hear your heart beat LOUDLY! That was such a strange experience so I had to take my kids to allow them that experience. Do you have knowledge of what was called "carbide" lights? That is what we took into the cave. There were signatures of supposedly "outlaws" but probably were put there by teenagers just to yank our ankles but when I was still a kid, that was some kind of exciting. The Jesse James Gang did stop where my great great grandmother lived and forced her to prepare them an evening meal in Missouri. That is a true story. They were kind to the family, just came in and insisted they be fed though. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:01 PM
    I created a thread about treasure hunting and panning for gold that a few people have posted on as well.
    Oh, maybe I should respond on that thread rather than this one. What do you think? :confused: Since it is more specific to the subject matter. Where do I find this new thread, under which section?
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Totally up to you if you want to try that thread. Awesome story of your own there! John Dillinger was around the area I grew up, and my grandfather told me where one of his hideouts were, from things he had heard from some older fellows he knew before I was born.

As for the carbide lights... my grandfather was a coal miner, bootlegger, and a lot of other things, but I think that may be why I like to go in caves. He told me a ton of good stories.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Oneguy, thanks. I found the thread. I am beginning to find my way around. I may post on it tomorrow. It was a good idea to post it. You have more people posting so getting more involved. That is always a fun thing.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Totally up to you if you want to try that thread. Awesome story of your own there! John Dillinger was around the area I grew up, and my grandfather told me where one of his hideouts were, from things he had heard from some older fellows he knew before I was born.

As for the carbide lights... my grandfather was a coal miner, bootlegger, and a lot of other things, but I think that may be why I like to go in caves. He told me a ton of good stories.
    Write those stories down Oneguy and make some money when they are published. It is sad how many good true stories are lost because of not getting the stories out there, one way or the other. I for one would read them. Post them on the other site, I bet you would get a lot of response. Panning for gold, diamonds, outlaws, fishing, you can't miss! :p
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:19 PM
    You are inspiring me to do so!
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Yea! :) My day has not been wasted then! From reading your posts, I think you have the excitement to do this! I know others will be encourgaing you also. This is something well worth pursuing! Think what it would mean to your son also to have those stories in print to pass on to his family later in life!! Something to really consider.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
    I had to get a few gift cards sent to Tenn. A bit ago. Just got those finished. Hope you have a great night. I will check your thread out tomorrow when I return from Tulsa. Thanks again for sharing about your gold panning trip and about Dillinger, caves, hot air balloons, fishing... goodness, brought back tons of stories to my mind of activities with the kids. You made me remember things long forgotten. Easy to get caught up in today and forget some very special moments. Thanks for that Oneguy! Good night for now. Until later then!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Operation Arrowhead Ripper [ 9 Answers ]

A major battle is taking place in Baquba ,a city in Baghdad's northern "suburbs" . Multi-National Force - Iraq - Task Force Lightning strikes al-Qaeda {Operation Arrowhead Ripper } The NY Slimes reported that 2000 troops are involved .They are wrong . There are no fewer than 10,000 US...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search