Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloria friant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up
    When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down the track that heads toward the box where the motor is. The door closes just fine. Thanks for any advise.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
    What I would do is to raise the door in whatever way you can. Then, push/pull on the bottom of the door (as if you were trying to raise/lower it) and see if there is some looseness where the arm on the opener connects to the door itself. There should be some kind of bracket that attaches the arm to the door, and it should be tight on the door.

If you don't see anything obvious, I would next pull the rope to disconnect the door from the opener. Now try to manually raise/lower the door (all the way) to see if there is any binding or rough spots. This might reveal where something is loose in the track.

One caution, the first time you disconnect the door from the opener and try to lower it by hand, make sure you can get out of the way if the door comes down suddenly--which it might do if the counterbalance spring is broken or weak. A properly adjusted spring will allow the door to be easily raised and lowered by hand.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door opener [ 6 Answers ]

One of my garage door openers was stolen and I am now on manual. Can I reprogram my garage door opener? Sears is not sure.

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener [ 1 Answers ]

The sending eye on one of my garage doors doesn't light up. The receiving eye does stay lit however. I checked the wiring and nothing is bad... so it seems anyway. I don't understand why the receiving light is on but not the sending eye light. Of course the door will not go down. I also tried...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search