Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 08:40 AM
    91 honda civic
    I have a 91 honda civic 4 door sedan dx. I just replaced the rotor and distributor cap and now the car won't start. First I checked multiple times to be sure I had the firing order correct. I then read the thread written by CroCivic91 and checked my ECU codes. I got a 10 and 16. The 16 sounds like a possible main relay and the 10 is air intake temperature. I checked for the clicks in the main relay and I get all 3 leading me to believe that the relay is good. Is there anything else I could try. It seems very coincidental for a problem to occur that is not related to my changing the cap and rotor.

Thanks for any help.

Sal
    salr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 02:36 PM
    I followed CroCivic91's procedure to test the coil and found the resistance to be too high. Replaced the coil and the car started right up.

Sal
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 26, 2006, 03:55 PM
    There's nothing like a user finding an answer to his own question and posting the results back up...

If only there were more like you... thumbs up for fixing up your car yourself!
    vmdelarosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salr
    I have a 91 honda civic 4 door sedan dx. I just replaced the rotor and distributor cap and now the car won't start. First I checked multiple times to be sure I had the firing order correct. I then read the thread written by CroCivic91 and checked my ECU codes. I got a 10 and 16. The 16 sounds like a possible main relay and the 10 is air intake temperature. I checked for the clicks in the main relay and I get all 3 leading me to believe that the relay is good. Is there anything else I could try. It seems very coincidental for a problem to occur that is not related to my changing the cap and rotor.

Thanks for any help.

Sal
    How did you remove the rotor?
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 12, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salr

Thanks for any help.

Sal
    Sal,

So you replaced the cap and rotor - and then your coil burned out.
    To prevent damage to your new coil, be sure the spring inside the distributor cap isn't missing and that the button that contacts the rotor is in place. I highly recommend using Honda igntion parts - the aftermarket parts cause more problems. Also, make sure there is some kind of threadlock on the rotor screw - it will back out and spin on the shaft = no engine running. The Honda rotor comes with a new screw with threadlock already applied.

Code 16 is for the fuel injector circuit. Your engine is throttle body injected and so the positive side of the fuel injector circuit passes through the Main Relay. IF you crank the engine long enough with an intermittent main relay problem, you will get a code 16. If you haven't replaced your main relay already (or resoldered it) do so. Be sure to clear your ECU (disconnect battery) to wipe out the codes so you can use any new codes for diagnosing future problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 honda civic ex [ 6 Answers ]

Well I have an 94 civic ex and it's giving me problems and the problem is that when I shift gear and go (happens on every gear) then its making this sound from the engin and plus the car is'nt picking up speed like not enough airflow going though or burning gas so I think my trans bad or clucth is...

91 Honda Civic [ 3 Answers ]

Engine runs rough - a lack of power but not a hard miss - until engine warms up but car must sit for at least 18 hrs. 170,000 miles. Replaced plugs, cap rotor - no help. Distributor shaft has minor oil leak allowing oil to get inside of cap - maybe related.

Honda civic [ 3 Answers ]

My 90 honda civic lx 1.5 twin turbo with intake and cat back exaust won't turn over... it just clicks when I hit the key. I replaced the starter.. still just clicks... checked relays and fuses... im lost please help

Honda Civic Dx [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was just wondering what the size of speakers are in the front are rear on a honda civic dx 1991

Honda Civic 95 [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have a civic that every time I put the break the dashboard light comes on is that normal?

View more questions Search