Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Oct 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
    My progress (melasma & sun damage) pics & maintenance questions
    I thought I'd share some pics for anyone else dealing with melasma and/or sun damage.

These are pix of my forehead. The top one was taken July 31st and the bottom was taken on Oct 7th.

Left was July 31st ---- Right was Oct 7th

These below (red shirts) are to give an idea what happens when I neglect to do any sort of sun protection or intentional exfoliation.
    I was basically washing & moisturizing only. The photo on the left is not my darkest tan. Apologies for the quality. These are photo of framed photos.:p I hope it's enough to give you an idea of how dark (and uneven) I can get.

On a good summer, I could approximate Kelly R.'s (left) color (not as red though) here

the problem is that my untanned parts were closer to Sanaa L.'s color in this photo

I'd love to hear from anyone who has maintained an even complexion for years. What is your regimen? Have you found any nutritional, dietary elements that help?

I've been reading all sorts of things from taking gluthathione and vit-c to avoiding caffeine & aspartame.

I'm currently using sunscreen faithfully, sometimes hats.. Products are:

Fair and Flawless Parfait
    Fair and Flawless Resurfacing Cleanser (it's like a gentle scrub)
    Dove Soap
    Likas Papaya Soap (when i remember to use it)
    Othine HQ cream
    Belo Whitening Lotion on my arms and knees (just started with this week)

My goal is to have an even color all over. My forehead, back of neck, forearms, knees, and back of hands are the most out of whack.

It's crazy, I used to lay out try to even my skin shades! It looked good for a while but got gross again when the dark tan faded became got patchy. Lots of sun was also a problem depending on what sort of clothes I wore.. some times I'd get an awful farmer's tan... or chocolate head, caramel boobs, you name it. Arrgh.

Of course I thought the answer was even more sun or foundation. Sigh.

Anyway, Thank you in advance for any help or experiences you can share.
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Oct 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Thanks for sharing your pics Eggo. What were between July and Oct. that got you lighter? Was it that same regime you just posted? From the 1st pictures you posted it seems like you color is coming along nicely, but as you said, when you neglect any maintenance care then you can tan quicker than you can lighten again. My arms and legs got very dark during the summer but so did my back and my back was never exposed! Lightening really isn't really a one time quick fix if you want to stay the proper shade; you have to maintain a few times out the week. But as far as your products I have tried Othine, but not long enough to report on its effectiveness. I'm not familiar with the other products but Fair and Flawless is pretty costly to maintain. I will be trying Clair Liss and I just refilled a prescription for 4%HQ plus 0.5 Retin A; the retin a somewhat improves the effectiveness of the HQ as new skin cells are constantly regenerating allowingthe HQ to penetrate better. This combo works pretty good on the face if you do not have an allergic reaction. Good luck and hope you reach your goal.

Oct 9, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itss A New Day View Post
    Thanks for sharing your pics Eggo. What were between July and Oct. that got you lighter? Was it that same regime you just posted? From the 1st pictures you posted it seems like you color is coming along nicely, but as you said, when you neglect any maintenance care then you can tan quicker than you can lighten again. My arms and legs got very dark during the summer but so did my back and my back was never exposed! Lightening really isn't really a one time quick fix if you want to stay the proper shade; you have to maintain a few times out the week. But as far as your products I have tried Othine, but not long enough to report on its effectiveness. I'm not familiar with the other products but Fair and Flawless is pretty costly to maintain. I will be trying Clair Liss and I just refilled a prescription for 4%HQ plus 0.5 Retin A; the retin a somewhat improves the effectiveness of the HQ as new skin cells are constantly regenerating allowingthe HQ to penetrate better. This combo works pretty good on the face if you do not have an allergic reaction. Good luck and hope you reach your goal.
    Thanks for your note! I've been wondering about Retin-A... yes, it seems like anything that reveals fresh skin for the "bleaching" agent to work on is good. Also great for removing the old damage, if one has it.

Yes, that's all I've used recently (items in my first post). From July to Oct. The Othine has only been in the rotation for about 2 weeks now. The Belo is the most recent but for my arms only.

I'm going to try to hold it there on new things for a while. 'Don't want to be back with a sob story and gallery of horror photos. Lol!

I didn't tan much this summer but I was sketchy with my sun protection... hence my lovely forehead.:eek: There's also some residual pregnancy melasma on the sides of my face.. I started to go back to my old aesthetician & spa but that was a serious arm and a leg... worse than the $F&F$ items. Also with the internet, it's not necessary anymore to get the products through the spa, if you're careful.

I'm sure it'll take me a least a year to get some sort of whole body shade harmony going. I've been shoddy with my skin care for so long. Also after my recent research, I've realized that tanning is officially out for me.:( When my skin is together, I'll have to find a good bronzer or some fakebake lotion and call it a day if I get the tropical urge again.

About your back, I read somewhere here than you can get tan through clothes! I had no idea but looking at myself a few minutes ago, my back is darker too. So I guess it's best to put the sunscreen on all over! I've only been putting it on the exposed bits.

Thanks for your well-wishes, I wish you success in your skin care mission too!:)
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Thanks Eggo for this post!! I really like the 3rd after pic of your forehead, what were you using to get that shade? The skin looks clearer, even, and smoother too in your after pics. F&F is way out of my budget, but I would like to know how well the Belo brand lightens your arms. I guess that will take another 3-4 weeks to really see a difference with the arms though. Hq/tret seems to be the most effective and well-priced lightener for the body from what I see so far. I just don't want it to damage my organs or anything if I do use it as a body lightener, don't know how to avoid this.

I didn't know you can get tanned with clothes on? Explains why my back is darker then. I'll just buy more neutrogena sunblock spray, beats rubbing it in everywhere. Please keep us updated.

Oct 10, 2009, 12:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Thanks Eggo for this post!!! I really like the 3rd after pic of your forehead, what were you using to get that shade? The skin looks clearer, even, and smoother too in your after pics. F&F is way out of my budget, but I would like to know how well the Belo brand lightens your arms. I guess that will take another 3-4 weeks to realy see a difference with the arms though. Hq/tret seems to be the most effective and well-priced lightener for the body from what I see so far. I just don't want it to damage my organs or anything if I do use it as a body lightener, don't know how to avoid this.

I didn't know you can get tanned with clothes on? Explains why my back is darker then. I'll just buy more neutrogena sunblock spray, beats rubbing it in everywhere. Please keep us updated.
    Thanks GG!

The F & F Soho parfait since July 31st plus the Othine for apprx 2 week?

Also cleansing scrub and sunscreen

... Yes, it feels so much better already. I don't know what took me so long to wake up! LOL!

I'm going to stay with the Belo unless it bothers me. Hopefully I'll do another round of photos by the end of December.

The HQ-Tret is the same as Triluma right?

I think I saw one of the Filipino products (Maxi-Peel?) with HQ & Tretinoin listed as ingredients too. I'm not sure if I bought one of those.

If you good find budget-friendly items feel free to post here or PM me. I'm trying to get my glow for less. LOL! I'm not crazy about the prospect of being bound to F & F. Companies close sometimes too so I like the idea of having back-up choices.

Oct 10, 2009, 01:08 AM

Your right it is good to have back up options because the things we get dependent on either become resistant by our skin or the company shuts down. Yes triluma is hq and tret and also Fluocinolone, a steroid to control irritation

Oct 10, 2009, 01:57 AM

Thanks It's a New Day! That's another good point. My aesthetician would change things around a bit because of the skin getting 'bored'.

I found the Maxi-Peel with HQ & Tret I mentioned earlier

Maxi-Peel Exfoliant (Tretinoin & Hydroquinone) by Splash Corporation - 60 ml

That's a different one than one I have.. I think.:confused: I'll double check the ingredients on mine in the morning.

The TriLuma here is 95 dollars. :/

Tri Luma Skin Lightening Cream

I'm not a hardcore cheapskate but I don't want to pay through the nose for clear skin.

Oct 10, 2009, 02:10 AM

I see the MAxiPeel has three level depending on the severity of each person's case, so Im guessing each level has a different dose of tretinoin? Yeh Tri Luma is expensive, but thank God for insurance because mine is only $15 with insurance and they are running a $40 rebate right now so it is pretty much free when I go pick up my renewal. Good ol insurance lol

Oct 10, 2009, 02:28 AM

That's a great deal!

Is Tri-Luma supposed to be by prescription in the US? I wonder if using it would speed my process.

... Also wondering if it smells better than the Othine. It's kind of peeyew. Lol!

Oct 10, 2009, 02:35 AM

Othine had an OK scent, it was just too perfumey for me, but as far as I know Tri Luma is by prescription only, but that website you posted apparently has some in stock some way somehow. I see they also have a generic comniantion for $40; this is my 1st time seeing a generic. They also have some other interesting stuff that I know nothing about. Im sure it will speed up your process though, I've only heard good things about retin a and tretinoin. Except from those who have an allergic reaction, which is common.

Oct 10, 2009, 02:49 AM

Wow, I'm looking at the other stuff... Gah.. maybe too many choices.
    My head is spinning! LOL

I'll try to use up some of the gunk that I've bought so far first.

This site (I mean here AMHD - Skin Lightening) is a fab resource. I'm learning so much.

Thanks again!

Oct 10, 2009, 03:03 AM

Looking at my recent pic, I'm also realizing that I need to wax my upper lip! LMAO! My 'stach is not blending well.:p

It's always something.:rolleyes:

Oct 10, 2009, 03:06 AM

Lol I wish waxing my lips was the biggest problem I had right now. Actually as you lighten the hairs on your upper lip do become more prominent in contrast to the lighter skin, so that's another upkeep added to the list lol

Oct 10, 2009, 03:16 AM

It's 3:14.. wow, I totally lost track of the hours. Time to take my Frida Kahlo-Tom Selleck lookin' self to bed.

Wax wax wax. Good Night-Good Morning! :)

Oct 10, 2009, 04:09 PM

OK, I'm looking at this chart trying to figure out if I'm red or olive?

It's from this older thread

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/skin-l...ou-289653.html
    fairr Posts: 285, Reputation: 6

Oct 10, 2009, 04:12 PM

Oh I remember that chart! Good old times!
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Cool! Thanks Eggo. I guess I would say I'm an olive tone level 8 and would like to move up to a level 6, she looks foreign too. So that's 2 levels up, does that mean 2 shades? I know I would have to lighten more than 2 shades though, how many shades is the difference?

Oh by the way I love Frida Kahlo!

Oct 24, 2009, 03:21 AM

Some recent pix (this past week)

Left side without flash - right side with flash on

More "Before"s (I was in the hospital after giving birth center left, and pregnant top row, so please excuse my extra bloatedness.. lol)

Oct 24, 2009, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Cool! Thanks Eggo. I guess I would say I'm an olive tone level 8 and would like to move up to a level 6, she looks foreign too. So that's 2 levels up, does that mean 2 shades? I know I would have to lighten more than 2 shades though, how many shades is the difference??

Oh by the way I love Frida Kahlo!!
    I think so but I get confused with levels and shades, I'm not 100% sure!:p
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Eggo your so lightskin now, you look great and it's so natural. To me you look like your between a 6 and a 5 olive, or Rihanna's complexion on the chart. I would love to reach and maintain this by December or January. What's next on your list to do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Facial melasma [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know of a good crème that will remove melasma? Tri-luma works great but it comes back workerbee

Sued for vehicle damage. Few questions. [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for any answers, I just need to explore my options. In April 2007 I was involved in an accident with my ex... we were fighting, I tried to drive away and while I was pulling out of the parking spot she reached in the window, grabbed my arm off the wheel, which caused me to hit her...

Alternate treatmens for Melasma [ 1 Answers ]

I have used hydroquinine successfully. It lightens the spots to some degree. Now I learn of the toxicity of that product. What are other effective products?

View more questions Search