Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Sep 27, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Any legal recourse to POA/Executrix taking items of estate prior to death as 'gifts'?
    OK. Just found out the executrix of an estate who was also POA before death took several items to Goodwill for donation and had her own name put on the receipts and used these for her own itemized deductions in her taxes (not the account of the decedent, as her taxes aren't itemized) Sure, these items may constitute a gift from decedent to POA prior to death and then POA donated them to charity. (Is there anything illegal about that considering the decedent was incapaciated by illness at time this occurred?) But the executor (same person as POA) is now using those receipts to claim they were items that do not belong to the personal property of the estate now to be divided into 8 equal shares because they were disposed of prior to death. She is most definitely now using the receipts and referring to the items as belonging to the decedent, not herself. She never states they were gifts to her that she then donated (except, apparently, on her own taxes). Further, POA also took many valuable items for her own keeping prior to death. She is one of the heirs but now none of the personal property is available to be divided by the other heirs because the executrix when she was POA of the person before death took all those items. Again there is no written proof these were gifts, just word of POA. But would these gifts nevertheless be part of the estate, especially since POA/executrix knew she was not sole heir in the will?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
    The will/estate needs to be submitted to probate. The probate court will look at these actions and determine whether there was abuse.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
    The estate needs to be fully itemized with the missing items prior to being submitted for probate. Is there an ongoing estate probate submitted to the probate court? Any good probate attorney can challenge the missing items from the estate in the inventory list submitted to the court. Consult with a good probate attorney to get the items returned to the estate by the judge.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
    In my experience, Goodwill will give you a blank receipt, not stating a value. If you claim the donations as a charitable deduction, it is up to you to put a value on them.

If the items were worth more than the probable expense of selling them, and assuming the executrix cannot prove they were given to her prior to the decedent's death, she would owe the estate the net value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be in legal trouble for abandonment of a disabled person if I am POA? [ 1 Answers ]

All Questions in Elder Law >> Disabled abandonment Disabled abandonment I am a 53 y.o. disabled woman with many health issues. My boyfriend had a massive stroke 2 months ago. He was in hospital and then a rehab center for a month. I then brought him home to try to care for him by myself which...

Gifts before death [ 16 Answers ]

My father, who has been ill for a long time, put me on his joint account. I saw some improprieties of the woman he was living with writing a check to herself. He had vision issues when his Parkinson's disease shakes were really bad but I'm sure he trusted her to put his checks for bills in front...

Cash Gifts to family advised prior to death estate? [ 4 Answers ]

I wish to pass on a cash gifts to my newborn grandaughter. I understand I may be able to do this up to no more $12,000 in one year w/out tax penalty to my son. Question is , if I withdraw from a retirement IRA will I get taxed on the amount withdrawn at years end. I am 60 years old and not...

Death Recourse [ 3 Answers ]

My father died of cance but before he died for like a year he suffered and I witnessed the whole thing. Him going through that. Now whenever anyone's sick like real sick not just cold like hospital sick or can't get up sick. I get really nervouse and like ant to cry. Even if I tell myself its...

Real estate transaction recourse [ 5 Answers ]

We closed on our house a little over a year. The seller was supposed to replace the septic system and it was in the contract. Our septic system, we find out, was not installed properly and the tank is caving in due to incorrect installation and errors made. There are no records of a permit...

View more questions Search