Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 02:54 AM
    Did you know ? The Order of St John in Jerusalem.
    THE ORDER OF ST JOHN IN JERUSALEM

Part 1. When the Knights of St John captured Rhodes and assumed authority over virtually the whole of the Dodecanese, they already had two centuries of history behind them. The exact date of the founding of their religious- military Order is difficult to determine, since its beginnings are shrouded in legend and historical obscurity. It is very possible that future research will bring to light new evidence bearing on this issue, but at present it may be said, with reservations, that the inception of a philanthropic Christian Order has been traced back to Jerusalem, in around the middle of the eleventh century. Amalfian traders obtained permission from the Caliph to build the church of Sainte Marie-Latine next to the church of the Resurrection, as well as a hospice for the accommodation of Christian pilgrims to the Holy Land. The hospice-hospital was run by Benedictine monks. It seems that from the end of the eleventh to the beginning of the twelfth century, that is prior to the First Crusade and the capture of Jerusalem by the Western Europeans, this first Frankish hospice-hospital had no connections with the Order of the Hospitallers, as the Knights of St John ( named after their patron St John the Baptist ) were otherwise known.

Parts 2 and 3 to follow.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 28, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    ... It is very possible that future research will bring to light new evidence bearing on this issue ...
    It is always possible, of course, but very possible it is surely not !

To "It is possible that future research will bring to light new evidence bearing on this issue ... " I would say yes, that is possible .

To "It is It is very possible that future research will bring to light new evidence bearing on this issue ... possible that future research will bring to light new evidence bearing on this issue... " I say there is no reason to assume that so positively.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Did you know ? The Order of St John in Jerusalem. Part 2.
    The Order of St John in Jerusalem. Part 2.

In the early years of the twelfth century the enigmatic figure of Pierre Gerard or Gerard Tenque appeared in Jerusalem, a personality swathed in legend. Neither his homeland, his family nor his education are known, yet according to all indications to date, it is he who founded the Order. The Amalfian hospice was merely a precursory foundation. It is very probable that in Gerard’s day the Knights were only hospitallers and had no military capacity or organization. After Gerard’s death, he was succeeded in 1120 by Raymond du Puys, who took the title of Master for the first time. It was then that the Order was organized as a military body, in accordance with Western European feudal principles, though it did not abandon its original philanthropic role, at least ostensibly. Through donations, it acquired an enormous property in land, including entire provinces in the West and East. From the beginning of the twelfth century, the Knights of St John, together with the Templars, became the most important representatives of the ideology of the Crusade, wielding their swords against the Mohammedan foe in the heart of the Holy Land. This explains the zeal with which feudal Europe offered them economic and moral support. They were ever the spearhead, which initially struggled in the cause of Western expansionism and the establishment of Western possessions in the East, and later to defend the West humiliation and defeat at the hands of the “Infidel”. The Knights acquired military strongholds in Syria and Palestine, such as Jerusalem, Caesarea, Capernaum, Jericho, Ascalon, Margat, Krak and others.

Part 3 to follow.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Did you know ? The Order of St John in Jerusalem. Part 3.
    The Order of St John in Jerusalem. Part 3.

The Western Europeans barely managed to maintain their hold on the Middle East for two centuries. In the face of the Arab force, urban centres and fortresses fell one after the other. The Knights played their part in the defence of the Holy Land and, loyal to their mission, were the last to retreat. In the wake of the final fallof Jerusalem and Asclon in 1247, came that of Krak in 1271, and of Margat in 1281. The last beleaguered fortress of the Franks was Acre in Palestine, which too capitulated in 1291. Decimated and with their Grand Master severely wounded, the Knights of St John went to Cyprus, where they installed themselves in the region of Limassol. On Cyprus, however they felt restricted. They were vassals of the island’s Frankish king and thus unable to act freely. In 1306 the opportunity of acquiring new headquarters befitting their purpose presented itself. The Grand Master Foulques de Villaret entered into negotiations with Vignolo de’ Vignoli, who was a liegelord of the Dodecanese. The two men drew up an agreement whereby, after the capture of Rhodes, Vignolo de’ Vignoli would retain one-third of the island, the Knights the other two-thirds, the whole of Leros and two-thirds of Kos.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:38 AM
    Why not just link to your blog?
    ROLCAM: THE ORDER OF ST JOHN IN JERUSALEM

This website is not a blog.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:39 AM

It is VERY possible.

I have been personally researching this for the last 60 years of my 78 years.
    I am sure, GOD willing I shall continue on this research in the future.
    The History of Malta is one of the richest histories and The Knights had a very large part to play in it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:44 AM
    I wanted to make the members here aware of some of the riches of History.
    -

Mar 28, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM
    It is VERY possible. / I wanted to make the members here aware of some of the riches of History.
    Than why don't you specify on what grounds you find that possibility 'VERY possible' ?
    With such a long personal involvement in that research you will have more than sufficient arguments to support that 'VERY possible', is it not?

I have been many times on Malta and carry a warm affinity for the island, but although I agree with you that the knights are part of Maltese history, I see no reason for your suggestion that ' It is very possible that future research will bring to light new evidence bearing on this issue '

So why 'VERY possible' (with the emphasis on VERY)
    -

Mar 28, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Nice link, NeedKarma : thanks for that !

I like to suggest RC to do some editing in the presentation of that blog.
    As it is, the breaking-up of lines makes it difficult to read.
    Most probably this results from mixing a text file via a MS Word file into the HTML document.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    Nice link, NeedKarma : thanks for that !

I like to suggest RC to do some editing in the presentation of that blog.
    As it is, the breaking-up of lines makes it difficult to read.
    Most probably this results from mixing a text file via a MS Word file into the HTML document.

Now that this person has been removed - again - for alias abuse, would it be possible to remove his various posts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proposed Order/Signed order [ 17 Answers ]

We have a signed temporary order from Jan 2008. The court master issued a propsed order Sept 2008, but that has not been signed, and it may take a while since exceptions were fied. The proposed order has a modified schedule and a different CS amount and orders the Sept payment to go to me...

The New Jerusalem [ 46 Answers ]

When will the New Jerusalem descend from heaven and we will be living with God. Will it be after the 1000 year reign of Christ or after the tribulation (before the 1000 year reign of Christ). In other words; will the 1000 year reign of Christ be in the New Jerusalem?

View more questions Search