Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp242 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth?
    In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it was turning into a sinus infection. No other teeth hurt though. Also, the tooth next to it also had a root canal and a crown on it. Any dentists out there? Think it is a tooth problem or sinus? FWIW, I am not having any nasal drainage and I do have a dull tightness in my head, near my frontal sinuses.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 03:24 PM
    I would guess that the root canal was not done completely.

I have had this same problem, I went to a dental school to save some money.

The "student dentist" didn't get all the root, and I ended up with a bad infection, under
    the crown, talk about pain.

You might want to have another dentist take an x-ray to see what is cooking in there.

Feb 28, 2008, 03:32 PM
    I don't think the root canal was not finished. I had to have surgery on my jaw after the root canal but before the permanent crown was put on. I had several x-rays done, both by my dentist and by the oral surgeon. I was also on some pretty hefty antibiotics with the root canal and surgery. I can say, and this comes from someone with some serious dentist phobias, my dentist is really great. We are moving in a few weeks and I am pretty upset I won't have him anymore. The dentist did the root canal in 2 parts. He cleaned out the roots and filled them with a antibiotic filling and did an x-ray to make sure he got it all. He had me come back a few weeks (about 2 weeks later) and he finished it and placed the permanent filling in the roots and then xrayed them again to check to make sure it was complete. I should probably get it xrayed in a few days if it is still bothering me to make sure there isn't an abscess. I would prefer to avoid the x-rays since I am pregnant. Ugh.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 06:13 AM
    If you only get the pain when you bend down or walk it probably is due to your sinus. Try taking an antihistamine for a few days and see if it clears up. Tylenol Cold and Sinus might work too. Check with your doctor before taking any medication while you are pregnant.

If it was the tooth with the root canal you wouldn't be able to bite on it or you'd have sensitivity to hot.

Feb 29, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie
    If you only get the pain when you bend down or walk it probably is due to your sinus. Try taking an antihistamine for a few days and see if it clears up. Tylenol Cold and Sinus might work too. Check with your doctor before taking any medication while you are pregnant.

If it was the tooth with the root canal you wouldn't be able to bite on it or you'd have sensitivity to hot.

Thanks Flossie, that is what I was thinking too. It hurts less today. I am going to get a neti pot to clear out my sinuses as most cold and sinus medications are no-no's during pregnancy. Fingers crossed it works.
    debbiehooper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 07:32 AM
    My back two teeth are broke off down to the gum I know I'm going to have to get them cut out and I'm scard
    debbiehooper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
    What can I try to do to ease the pain until I can get something dune I don't take pin meds I have inded up in the er before because the pain was all over my head on the side the teeth are on it was so bad it was the hole side of my head and the back of my head and down my neck
    paco_taco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
    First off they don't remove the roots. The tissue inside the roots is what is removed. The dentist didn't get all the necrotic tissue out and the tooth has been re-infected. Go see a endodontist to see if it can be re-treated.
    stuartcarter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
    Over 12 years ago I shatard my 2 front teeth wer I got the roots drilled out and caps put on over the past week I have had tooth ache in 1 of them how is this possible is it sum think to worry about

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom tooth [ 4 Answers ]

Why do my wisdom teeth smell?

Mark on tooth [ 1 Answers ]

Just lately I noticed this mark on one of my teeth. It's a blackish milky color and quite shiny. I have uploaded an image below. Should I be worried about this? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6494/img2326zs9.jpg

Discolored tooth [ 2 Answers ]

There is a similar post to mine... I also hit my mouth on a curb, I was fine and then 5 days later noticed tooth darkening, no pain. I went for x-ray but they said no abcess and not to do anything; however the tooth was not sensitive to cold so the dentist thinks it must be nerve damaged. He said...

What is a blue tooth? [ 2 Answers ]

I am starting school and want to get a lab top, some of them say with optional blue tooth connection. What is this and how does it help?

Tooth.. [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any activities that is not allowed if u just went ot the dentist to pull your teeth?

View more questions Search