Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jullielala Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Dog lactation and possible lack thereof.
    Two months ago I was adopted by a stray dog. I thought she might be pregnant a couple of weeks ago because it seemed like overnight her breasts(what are they called on a dog?) became swollen but I just didn't realize she was so far along. THis morning I walked outside to lovely suprises... She had already had six puppies, one passed, and she would have two more as the day progressed. Im worried about her not having enough milk. She only has about four swollen breasts and I don't think they are producing very much milk, although my only way of checking was to kind of pinch them, gently.. So how do I get her to produce more milk... I should add that if this involves supplements I'm going to need them to be affordable. Im a college student and Im not taking these puppies to the local animal shelter because I found out even though they say they are a no kill shelter, that they do in fact kill all received puppies... and that breaks my heart. I know I can find these puppies homes, I just want to make sure they are getting enough milk... any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
    I know that walmart has milk replacement. I believe that is was in powder form. Hopefully at walmart it will not be to expensive. I also saw it at meijers and bottles as well.I know nothing about raising puppies. Check back tomorrow I am sure that you will have much advise on this matter. It is late and not many people are on at night. Btw the way you are a kind person and the momma & puppies are very lucky. If you can spot a specific breed that maybe the momma looks like, there are rescues that are breed specific that may help you out. Sometimes there are rescues for size spefic... toy dogs and small breed dogs. These type of rescues are def. no kill. Also if you look around there may be some true no kill shelters in your area. A lot of times they are willing to help you out with medicine, shots, food, vet care, spay/neuter as long as you will foster the dogs. Btw the momma needs to be on puppy food, she needs the extra nutrition that it has in it. This much I have learned. :) just make sure to check back tomorrow.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I'm sure the mother is producing enough milk for her pups; it might not seem like it, but she is. The best thing you can do for mommy dog is provide her with and adequate amount of calories which will allow for ample milk production and prevent weight loss. Fresh water should also be provided at all times to assure a sufficient volume of milk is produced. Hopefully labman will see this post and provide you will some more details! Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 03:36 AM
    Do you have any kind of a scale you can weigh the puppies on? Perhaps a kitchen scale? I know they should be gaining weight, although not how fast. If they are gaining enough weight, they are getting enough milk. Yes the mother should be on puppy food. Since you are short of funds, go ahead with a less expensive one, Purina will be fine. It will be fine for her, slightly larger, softer stools fro you to clean up.

Check your library. They should have books on breeding dogs that will have details such as how much weight the puppies should be gaining. Successful Dog Breeding, by Chris Walkowicz, DMV comes well recommended, but almost any book will be a big help.

Thank God for good people like you that step up to fill a need like this. Since I am friends with people that keep breeding stock for the dog guide school, I have learned a little about caring for new borns. I am happy to share what little I know with somebody that has stepped up like you. Sadly, even if you find homes for those puppies, many more will still die for lack of homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My career, or, lack there of. [ 6 Answers ]

:( I'll be 33 in July, am a quarter shy of a degree which I don't really want, won't get me the job I originally wanted and which I still owe a lot of money for and I can't seem to find anything which really inspires me or that I'm passionate about and would also make good money. Can anyone offer...

Lack of money, lack of job, banging my head against a brick wall it seems. [ 8 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for over 6 months now and I need for it to end... ive not done anything and neither has he, but I am finding it very hard to get a job, the last job I had six months ago was temp,they let me go after a month being there. I have been trying hard to get work, as of yet its...

Basement Staircase Lighting (or lack thereof) [ 2 Answers ]

When we go into our basement, we have a switch at the bottom and the top of our stairs. This is great, except that the light we have only lights the top part of our stairs. There are two big overhangs (its a really old house) and when you get to the bottom of the staircase, its pitch black again...

Kitchen Faucette hot water (lack thereof) [ 1 Answers ]

Good Evening, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have read about a 1000 questions posted looking for an answer to my problem, but I did not see one (probably missed it) anyway, I was wondering why my Kitchen faucette takes approx. 4-5 minutes to get hot water to it. This is the only...

I miss my ex, a long summary thereof, some dreams, some interpretations, some signs [ 5 Answers ]

OK, so this is a very awkward situation... to my friends, its always been "man, do you live in an episode of the oc?" seeing as I have never actually done this, I don't know what to do to receive advice here, so ill just be as truthful as I can remember and go through the whole thing. There are...

View more questions Search