Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sochling5 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 03:46 PM
    ARGH! How do I patch a 2'x2.5' hole in an eave?
    I have *no* clue how this hole appeared in the eave of my Mom's house and neither does she. However our friendly City Code Enforcement was polite enough to point it out and gave her two weeks to fix it (i.e. I get to fix it) I have never owned a home let alone been on the roof of one. She can't afford to have someone fix it for her so I was hoping for any suggestions?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 31, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Give Me Some More Details About The Hole. Is This Wood? When You Say The Eaves I Take It That This Is The Bottom Side Of Where Your Gutters Are.
    I Should Be Able To Help , If You Can Add A Pic Of This Would Be A B Ig Help

May 31, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Ohhh bless you :)

It's a through and through hole from the top where the shingles are all the way through the eave of the house, and yes eave like where the gutters are. I can get an image up this weekend when I go over there to paint. But honestly... it looks like a meteor fell from the sky and went through the roof just on the edge where it hangs off. So if you were to stand under the overhang you could look up and see sky.

The beams under the roofing don't appear to be damaged too much yet, a little rain wear but not rotted. I was hoping that I could patch it with some plywood and then roof it from there :o

May 31, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Ok Here Is What You Do, First Your Need A Pry Bar, This Will Help Take Off The Shingles, You'll Need New Shinges, It Sounds Like You Want Need More Than A Bundle ---$15 Maybe, You Need Some Roofing Felt, Or Black Paper, To Lay Down On The Roof Before You Lay The Shingles Back Down.
    You Will Also Need 1 1/4 Roofing Nails. For The Plywood You Need Osb It Is A 1/2" Thick,

First Thing You Do Is Get On Top Of The Roof And With The Pry Bar Start From The Top Of The Hole And Work Down After You Get The First Shingle Down It Will Be Easier To Reach The Other Nails Holding The Rest Of The Shingles, Once You Remove All The Shingls To Where You Can See The Hole. Youll Need To Find Your Rafters, These Are What Hold You Roof Up.
    The Way To Find Them Is To Look For Nail Head Thats Been Driven Into The Rafters From The Plywood Surface.
    Once You Find That Use A Framing Square To Draw A Square Cut Out Of The Hole Making Sure You Lap Over Halfway Of The Rafters, The Rafters Are 1 1/2 Thick, You Need To Cut Over 3/4 On Each One
    After You Removed The Nails From The Plywood Begin To Cut Your Square Outline , There Is No Set Size For This , Its Just What Will Get Rid Of The Hole.
    After Your Cut It, Take The Measurements And Cut A Replacement Piece,
    You Can Nail It Or Screw It Down If You Nail It Use 8penny Framing Nails.
    If Your Screws 1 1/4 Would Be Fine.
    Once You Attach The Plywood Back , Place The Black Paper Or Roofing Felt As I Call It. Over The Raw Plywood And Let It Lap Under The Other Shingles.
    Once You Do That Just Begin Placing The Shingles Back, As Far As Where To Nail The Shingles , If You Looking At One There Most Likely 3tab, Which Is Nothing More The Shingle Is In 3 Sections , There Is A Tar Strip On The Front About Half Way Up, You Nail Just About This, 3 To 4 Nails Is All You Need, Dont Nails Where The 1/4 Grooves Are Just Offset To The Left Or Right An 1" Or So, This Is So The Next Shingle Want Show The Nail, There Is A Patern To The Shingles You Should Be Able To Pick It Out Adn Just Copy It.

So To Recap Your Materials.
    Shingles, Roofing Felt, 8penny Nails, Or Screw, Osb Or Any 1/2 Ply Wood Would Be Fine, A Skill Saw, Pry Bar, Hammer, Tape Measure, Nail Puller, Razor Knife,
    That Should Do It,

May 31, 2007, 08:59 PM
    You. Freakin. Rock!

*hugs*

Liz

Jun 1, 2007, 03:30 AM
    Thanks your welcome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to patch hole at drainage in vynal inground pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 8ft vynal inground pool. I drained it almost all the way with the exception of 2ft which keeps leaking in through the hole in the liner located at the drain. I have put it on waste but it will not drain all the water,:confused: :confused: so I purchased c sump pump and can't seem to get...

ARGH! What is the name of this 80's 'sci-fi' movie? [ 2 Answers ]

Can ANYONE tell me the name of this movie? I remember little about it, except a kid goes outside one night and wakes up 8 years later in the woods (he had been abducted). His family is freaked out because he's the same age he was the night he disappeared. He is sent to some nasa-type compound......

Can't install windows xp pro - argh [ 1 Answers ]

Built my new computer from scratch, as rock 775 twins motherboard, pentium d 840, 1gb ram, geforce 6600gt, maxtor 160gb, sony dvdrw. However I can't install windows xp pro, I get to "press enter to continue with installation" and I do, and it restarts! I've tried using ide harddrives, sata ones...

Security patch ? [ 1 Answers ]

What is a security patch and what is a patch manager? :)

View more questions Search