Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephintampa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2005, 03:17 PM
    Board dogs in kennel or at-home dog sitter?
    Hello! I would like advice on how to take care of our dogs when we go away. We have two dogs in our house. We are going away for 4 days, and wonder if they would be happier staying at home alone (with a dog sitter making visits 3 times a day) of if they would be happier being boarded at a kennel while we're gone. Any advice? Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 21, 2005, 04:37 PM
    I distrust those that claim to really understand what is going on in those furry little heads. I would vote for the sitter as long as you know the person well, and they share your ideas of proper dog care. If you don't let your dogs run loose, eat table food, and sleep on the furniture, make sure the sitter doesn't think it is OK.

Kennels are a mixed lot. I am very happy with the one we use occasionally. Still, it is different people, a different place, and maybe different food. The kennel may house the dogs separately denying them play time with each other that they enjoy. If you use a kennel, check it out. If you are not welcome where the dogs are housed, it may be filthy and flea infested. Do not leave your dogs in one that fails to demand documentation of being up to date on shots.

Usually we take the puppies we are raising for the dog guide school with us when we travel. If not, they often visit other people in the program. Here is a link to a picture of a friends Lab enjoying a visit with the Shepherd we had that year, http://www.photolocker.net/images/La...lagretchen.jpg. Ella had other dogs in her house, but they were old ones that didn't enjoy puppy play.
    stephintampa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2005, 06:27 PM
    Labman, thanks for the advice. The dogs in the photo are adorable!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The book called;'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming HOme and other Unexplain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Carrum Downs, Victoria, Australia and have been told by a book shop that it would take two weeks to get in the book I'd like to see about buying. Does anyone have one close to where I live or even a secondhand one. The book is called:'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming HOme and...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Disinfecting for Kennel Cough ? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with disinfecting their house and yard and dog beds/kennels with the germ that causes kennel cough? I know about bleach mixtures, but that seems too caustic for metals crates, loungers and others. In doing a favor for a rescue group yesterday, I may have infected my...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

View more questions Search