Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rizwana Babu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2017, 02:43 AM
    About abusive mother in law
    If my mother in law abuse my parents and tell me to forget all feelings about my parents I have then what should I do? Should I be scilent? If I say to her I can not forget them and you can not say anything bad about my parents.is it sin? What will be the best way please show me.she says her prayers daily but her behaviour is not good.All the times she do bad behave with my husband and father in law in front of everyone.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2017, 04:32 AM
    It would help to know what culture and country you live in. In some parts of the world, this is common. I say OF COURSE you don't forget your parents, but you need to be clever about hiding it. Don't say things about how your parents raised children or cooked or felt about the world. The less you say about them, the less she will say about them. Her words are just words. Her words have no power over you or anyone unless you let them. Do not fight about your love and loyalty to your parents. Stay mostly silent. It has nothing to do with sin.
    If something happens that is very important to you, stand up to her according to your own beliefs, not your mother's or father's, even if it comes from how they raised you. Do not do it often. Do it politely but firmly. Eventually you will stop being treated like some sort of invasion in her life, and will be respected as an adult with your own mind. But old traditions are difficult to beat. Your husband may consider all this to be normal, so don't complain to him. When she is really wrong, let him know in little ways, one carefully thought out sentence, without a speech. If your parents live far away, you want to be able to visit them.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 7, 2017, 04:55 AM
    What does your husband say about his abusive mother? Is she well, physically and mentally? I doubt you change her by standing up to her, or hollering and screaming. Maybe she has always been this way, so lets just start by seeing how the men deal with this woman and emulating them. I suspect they let her rant and rave and go about their own business. Of course you not use to being around her, or feel obligated to listen to her rantings are left short of how to deal with her. Have you asked your parents for advice and counsel in this matter? What advice do they give you?

Are you and her the only females in the house? Do you have children? How long have you been married and was this marriage arranged? Sorry for so many questions just trying to get a clearer picture of your circumstance which sounds very much like an eastern Muslim/Hindi traditional culture.

Please correct me if I have it wrong, because I would hate to suggest anything that would go against the faith, traditions, or customs of your culture. Had you had any dealings with his family before you married? Did you know how she was before you were married? Did you have a choice in this matter?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie with an abusive mother... [ 8 Answers ]

I'm pretty sure this was movie from Netflix... but my friend rented so many I'm sure he won't remember. Abusive mother has a few kids but holds a teenage daughter down in the basement. I remember because it was so horrible, mother inserting a hot item into her. It's just killing me because I...

I want to speak to other mother's that have abusive sons. Is this the right forum? [ 5 Answers ]

I raised 3 children alone. They did not suffer for my single situation, I ran a business, worked 7 days a week at least 14 hrs per day for about 16 years. The kids had enough of everything, and I never discussed my difficulties with them. I made sure their needs were always met, a comfortable home,...

In an abusive situation can a mother take her kids to another state? [ 2 Answers ]

Im currently in an abusive relationship and I need to get out but I have three kids?

Verbally abusive mother [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 12yr old boy that is controlling, bossy and whiny at times. I geuss he is somewhat spoiled but he manages to do great in school and never gets into trouble. To me, he is just a typical boy. My mother goes places with my family, weekends away, vacations etc... but it never fails, she always...

View more questions Search