Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MizukiAshlynn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 05:27 AM
    How to handle colleague who bad mouth you to the manager?
    Hi everyone,

Recently, a new colleague who just joined, tries to find fault with me.

He creates all sorts of lies, like, not teaching him, and complain non-stop to the manager right in front of me.

I feel like confronting him, however, I lacked the courage. Unfortunately, the manager
    Believes him and not me.

What should I do to make him stop finding fault with me?

Thk you..
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 11, 2009, 03:14 PM

Why does the manager not believe you?

Oct 12, 2009, 08:47 AM

Ahh, because the manager is a friend of this new colleague.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 12, 2009, 06:22 PM

It is a poor manager that mixes friendship with business to the detriment of other employees.

Well first, you must find the courage to defend yourself when the person lies to the manager. The boss may simply mistake your not fighting back at all as an admission of "guilt". Don't yell or shout. Simply say, firmly, "that isn't true". Be ready to say why it isn't true. Remember that you are defending your job.

If that isn't working I think you should have a closed door session with the manager to address your concerns. Be cool, be professional. Do not attack the "friend". Put the discussion in terms of your being concerned that the colleague's' comments may have left a wrong impression, and you want to clarify things.

If you do not get a positive response, you probably should start looking elsewhere for work, if for no other reason than your boss is a jerk. But... there is one other thing to try, if you think the situation warrants.

If your boss has a boss, and your boss does not give you a good answer, it MAY also be possible to express your concerns at the higher level, and get resolution, but that depends on the dynamics of the company, how well you are known, etc. Even if you get resolution that way it may cause ill feelings that will fester.

Either way, you have to find the courage to resolve the issue, as things will not likely get better otherwise

Good luck

Oct 13, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Hi, thank you for your advice and help:):)
    Yes, you are right, I have to find the courage to resolve the issue..

Have a wonderful day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sent Order To Ex-Colleague By Mistake [ 1 Answers ]

I am asking this to be able to advise a friend of mine (person A). While working at a company, he once sent off for an item on eBay for his colleague (person B). After both persons A and B had left the company, person A ordered a large quantity of items on eBay to sell on for a profit. ...

Self introduction letter as a new colleague [ 2 Answers ]

How to write a self introduction letter asa a new colleague to all staff on first day at work?

Affair with a colleague who's got a girlfriend [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Im a 28 year old girl who recently met a male colleague 5 years older. He wasn't really my type until my other colleagues began teasing us at work because we seem to be getting really close to each other. We sit next to each other and are really enjoying each other's company. I find myself...

Fraudlent Colleague [ 9 Answers ]

I just discovered that my "know it all" co-worker is a liar and a fraud! He has forged university degree to get the current job which is a systems' analyst at a Telecommunications company. I discovered this because one of his former university colleagues asked me if worked together? And I told him...

Married man, girlfriend and colleague, but she is now... [ 64 Answers ]

I am 34, married. I love my wife, but I don't get enough from her As some husbands do... My girlfriend is 24, being my student at the university, my girlfriend and my closest colleague for the last 2.5 years. We both worked for a government organization, and we established A private...

View more questions Search