Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Texting While Driving?
    I watched a Dr. Phil episode last night (I think it aired Monday) about teens text messaging while they are driving. I sat there slack jawed and couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. The teenager seated next to Dr. Phil was smiling and was not in the least moved by the story of the deaths of 5 cheerleaders nor the bicyclist that were direct results of text messaging while driving. She actually said that the girls died because the driver wasn't a good text messenger. What made me even crazier is the mom that said "I tried to take her phone away, but she cried." I wanted to reach through the TV and slap her.

I made mention of this program at my work break room today and a young 20 something said "oh yeah, I do it all the time."

I guess my question is, where can I buy a tank? It doesn't have to have weapons, I just want to protect myself from these clueless, selfish twits that have taken over the roads.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 11:57 AM
    My sister texts while she drives. She holds the steering wheel with her knees so her hands will be free for texting. She even does this on the freeway in the middle of Fresno, CA. The first time I got in the car with her while she was doing this I was actually scared we were going to crash, and my oldest son was in the car with us. I told her to stop and she just laughed. She scares my mom doing that too. :eek:
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

OMG! I saw that episode. My mom and I were SCREAMING at the TV.

That 17 year old girl had ZERO concept of the fact that she probably going to kill someone.

My cousin is 17 and she is the only one out of all her friends who does not use the phone while driving. 5 of her friends have totaled cars from texting while driving.

Its horrendous. I guess it was inevitable. Kids have grown up with IM and texting so I guess its natural for them to text and drive just like how other people talk and drive. Its just insane. I feel like teenagers nowadays just have zero concept of the world outside of themselves. The psychological stage they are at is to be selfish but it just feels as if its to a whole new extreme. I can't even drive and talk I find it too distracting and I could not imagine trying to text.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

I agree with you, Em. Tuesday morning I was going to work and stopped at a stop light. The driver behind me was coming up rather fast and not aware of the red light. I was watching her in my rear view mirror. She was on her cell, looking down and I could tell she was texting. She slammed into the back of my truck. Not much damage to my truck as it is a good ol' US steel bumper. But her front end is pretty torn up. She got the citation and I just shook my head. Hope her parents have good insurance and they make her do community service. Yeah right. She will out tomorrow driving.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
    I hate texting... I had it removed from our plan... no incoming or outgoing texts.. and if my kids ever have a cell or the futuristic equivalent... it will be disabled there as well...
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:06 PM
    The really stupid thing was that this kid has only had a license for 4 months and has already done 3k worth of damage to the car + 3 other incidents.

I would have yanked her driving privileges on the first incident.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
    So scary, it is a shame cars can't be fitted with phone interference devices to prevent the use of mobiles whilst the engine is on... No one would buy it though! It is more dangerous even than drink driving (I think I made my feelings on this pretty clear in previous posts!)

Makes me so angry! :mad:
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Emland did you get the same feeling I did was that the mother didn't really seem to take it that seriously? I felt like neither of them grasped the severity.

I told my mom if it was my kids I would get them that Mickey Mouse phone where you can only call out to a few numbers and there is no bells or whistles including texting.
    Its like the rest of us grew up and got along just fine without cell phones. If kids cannot stop texting then no phone too bad.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 13, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I agree with you, Em. Tuesday morning I was going to work and stopped at a stop light. The driver behind me was coming up rather fast and not aware of the red light. I was watching her in my rear view mirror. She was on her cell, looking down and I could tell she was texting. She slammed into the back of my truck. Not much damage to my truck as it is a good ol' US steel bumper. But her front end is pretty torn up. She got the citation and I just shook my head. Hope her parents have good insurance and they make her do community service. Yeah right. She will out tomorrow driving.
    You a lot better than I am...

I would not have been able to keep my cool... NOPE, not at all. I could see myself in jail now because I slapped somebody silly. Are you OK?

Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
    And all those IMPORTANT messages. They were nothing but BS!

Both my husband and I have text function, but have it turned off on my sons. I discovered he was using my text function when I would put my phone on the charger at night. He is MRDD and can barely read, but he can figure out how to send and receive text messages! He hasn't tried it again since I read him the riot act.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Shygrneyez based on what I've seen happen with my cousins friends these kids never get punished. They total a car or get into an accident from texting or chatting away on the phone or even just being careless and they are grounded for a week then the parent feels bad ungrounds them and gets them a new car. I mean its like bizarro world the way some parents act. I know if I did something like that at 17 I would still be grounded.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Lol... the firefly... I thought about that too... they can call mom, dad, grandma or the police... and only those people can call in I believe. In my opinion, there is no other reason for a teen to have a cell.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:17 PM
    I think many parents today want to be their kid's friend. My daughter asked me once if I was her best friend. I told her "no, I am your mother"

I love my children and will give my life for them, but I am not going to put my desire to be their buddy above their welfare.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    shygrneyez based on what I've seen happen with my cousins friends these kids never get punished. They total a car or get into an accident from texting or chatting away on the phone or even just being careless and they are grounded for a week then the parent feels bad ungrounds them and gets them a new car. I mean its like bizarro world the way some parents act. I know if I did something like that at 17 I would still be grounded.
    Its this new fad... "be your kids best friend"... its getting out of control. The reason kids are so bad now a days, why they are so careless, is because they are apoiled, the parents don't discipline them anymore, hell you can't discipline you kids anymore with all the worries about abuse... its ridiculous. Parents aren't meant to be your best friend they are meant to be your parent, your guide, your role model. My son may end up hating me as a teenager, but dang it he will follow my rules. I don't care if the whole flippin teenage east coast is doing whatever, he will do what I say and nothing else. When he is out on his own, he can do as he pleases, but he has to things my way until then... I am determined to bring up a boy who values himself, others, and his world.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I think many parents today want to be their kid's friend. My daughter asked me once if I was her best friend. I told her "no, I am your mother"

I love my children and will give my life for them, but I am not going to put my desire to be their buddy above their welfare.
    You're in my head :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Great minds think alike! :D
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:32 PM
    I posted a poll question on our company website. 75% of those responding admit to texting while driving.

I am glad I drive a Ford Expedition. That thing sucks up the gas, but in a crash I think I am better off.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    Its this new fad..."be your kids best friend"... its getting out of control. The reason kids are so bad now a days, why they are so careless, is because they are apoiled, the parents dont discipline them anymore
    Its so true and the parents do not see it is to their kids detriment. These kids are so ill prepared for the real world. They don't get that everyone is not going to kiss their a$$ and tell them they are special and important. They have a totally skewed view of how the world is going to embrace them when they are out and away from their parents. The world is harsh and these kids have zero coping skills.
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I agree... there is a line, you can love your children, be happy for them, buy them things when they deserve it, but you also need to give them a strong background, teach them right from wrong, punish them when they are wrong, teach them that there are no silver platters. I buy my son nice things, but he works for what he gets, even at four, he knows that he must be on his best behaviour if he is to deserve anything... and if he doesn't like something and decides to throw a fit, I ignore him. No one in the world will listen to that and give him what he wants in the end... why should I?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Yeah, those and people putting on makeup and/or reading newspapers (adults) are at the top of the list of other drivers I'd love to revoke their driver license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Texting ma ex [ 11 Answers ]

Do you guys think that it is weird that I can't stop contacting my ex after freaking 8 months. I will go up to two weeks without talking to her and then I'll send her a text message or something. I still think about her a good bit but I never call her. Usually if I write her I will immediately...

Only Texting [ 2 Answers ]

This guy and I have liked each other for about 3 months now, and everything was going fine. He was being super sweet and it was amazing. We just remained only friends because it took the stress out of it. But then we had spring break and I didn't see him for 2 weeks. I was so excited when I came...

Unlimited texting [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know of a cheap cell phone plan that lets you have unlimited text messaging @ a cheap monthly rate? Preferably pre-paid...

My ex is texting me again... What does it mean? [ 7 Answers ]

I posted this one up about 2 weeks back https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=23777 Now after how it was left off on Friday her saying it will only complicate things more if we see each other as friends and for me to take care I get a text from her yesterday (4 days after I said that)....

View more questions Search