Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cherlem Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Never signed lease. Behind on rent.
    Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10).

Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go through. I now owe him about $2000. (Two months rent & deposit).

He said he wanted me out by Friday. (How can he evict me without a signed lease?) I asked him to give me until Monday to figure this out.

What can I do or do I do now? I'm currently researching charities, programs for rental assistance. (Any help in that department would also be appreciated).

Meanwhile, what can I do if I don't come up with the money & he tries to evict me?

I live in Texas.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2007, 08:35 PM
    It is easier to kick you out without a sign lease, since you are only on a month to month rental. But with a lease or without a lease, you can't stay if both your rent check and your deposit checks bounsed, also if these are bad checks you really need to worry about him pressing criminal charges also, and 2000 dollars worth would be a felony.

So yep, if you don't pay, and don't get out, he will file in court and physcialy evice you, plus to be honest if you just don't move and cause him a issue, most likely he will call the police on the bad checks,

Apr 28, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Well, they weren't bad checks. I wrote them on a good account.

My Mother since disowned me, cleared out the account & CLOSED them. So, they were checks written on a closed account.
    Expert

Apr 28, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Sorry but at least where I used to be a police officer writing on a closed account is a lot worst than writing them on a account and just not having the funds, So yes they can press criminal charges if they decide to.

So you need to work out a payment for them, or get out. But it will take a bit to go tocourt for the sheriff or baliffs to come out and carry your property to the curb, but if you don't pay, that is where it will go to start with

Apr 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
    No lease. What are my rights?
    I guess I'm considered on a month to month lease.

I'm behind on rent. Does landlord still follow regular eviction process? (Notice on door, three days to vacate, etc?) He says if I didn't pay today he wanted me out by midnight tomorrow. Can he do that?

I'm living in Texas. But, this is a privately owned complex. It's not TAA.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
    He will always have to go though the court to physcially remove you,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2007, 01:00 PM
    A landlord can ask or demand that you move if you have violated the terms of the lease, even an implied one. He doesn't have to give you much notice if there is cause. That doesn't mean he can physically evict you, however. If you refuse to leave when he demands that you do, then he has to go through the legal process of eviction.

But Chuck is right about the check bouncing problems. You may have some big trouble there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who keeps the orignal signed lease agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a landlord(Lessor) of a rental property. The tenant/Lessee had asked for the original signed signature page of the lease agreement. Should I give them the orignal signed signature page or give them a photocopy of the signed signature page? Thanks in advanced.

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Lease not signed by both guarantors [ 1 Answers ]

My son signed a lease that required 2 guarantors. The lease lists all 3 parties names, but only 1 guarantor signed the lease. When I signed the lease as 1 of the guarantors I was told I would get a copy of the lease when the other guarantor signed it. The other guarantor never signed the lease...

Getting out of a co-signed lease [ 2 Answers ]

About 5 years ago I lived with a friend of mine and we signed a year lease for an apartment. We were only there for a couple of months before she accidentally got pregnant and we could no longer live there. She assured me that she would take care of the penalty fee for breaking the lease but when...

Lease signed and not moved in [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I signed the leasing documents with an apartment on July 16'th for one year and the move in date was August 1'st. I have a situation where I may have to go to my home country for sometime because of my fathers health condition and I am leaving on August 12'th. I am not sure...

View more questions Search