Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanTheMan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2004, 07:56 PM
    Nursing cat with no bowel movements
    Edit: <Problem solved>

My wife and I recently adopted a cat about a week ago, we discovered her in the back of the building that she was working in and discovered that she was very pregnant, so we decided to take her in.  She gave birth a few hours later.

Now, I swear I haven't seen this cat poop the whole week.  I think she's only pee'd once.  My wife and I both thought the other was cleaning out the litter box until today.  The cat seems to be fine, eating, drinking, she has 2 more de-worming treatments to be given on may 10 and may 17, the vet did the first one when he did her immunization Monday.  We looked all over the basement and found no traces of cat poo/pee.  I would imagine we could find some.

So am I just clueless?  do nursing cat's just use everything they can to produce milk (this cat was very skinny when we found her, she's still very skinny, but not as much, she's plumping up slowly.)

We gave the cat a small dose of laxative today, but nothing yet.

I would assume from the posts that I've read so far that she would be having diahrea, not constipation, but I guess it is possible.  Is it normal for a nursing cat to have constipation.

p.s. 3 live and kicking kittens.  one was dead when we found him/her after the birth, another died because it couldn't nurse properly and our interventions failed.  

May 8, 2004, 08:03 PM
    Re: Nursing cat with no bowel movements
    My plan is to monitor the cat closely for bowel movements, she is now in my office here upstairs, and there is very little space to hide any "suprises"

May 9, 2004, 05:10 PM
    Well, problem solved.

With a little laxative, and her being put in a smaller room we had a very full litter box by morning, about a weeks worth, very messy :o

Thank you for your time.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

May 14, 2004, 06:04 AM
    Sorry I missed your post. I've been sick lately and away from the computer.

I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Regards,

May 29, 2004, 02:09 PM
    After reading some of the posts around here I appreciatte what you do here online for people and there pets. The kittens are 4 weeks old and doing fine.

Anyway, when they are ready to eat, will they be ready for dry cat food, or should we try and see if they will eat canned food first. (Would prefer dry food, since it is better for them, but we will be finding homes for them as soon as they are finished weening)
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

May 30, 2004, 08:39 AM
    Nursing cat with no bowel movements
    Hello Dan,

Thanks for the kind words.

Usually, when weaning kittens to dry food, we at the clinic take a high quality kitten dry (like Iams) and soak it in either warm milk replacer or plain water. We then mush it up with a fork until it is canned food consistency.

You are right, dry is better. Once you get a cat or kitten started on canned, they hardly ever want the dry again.

Hope this helps!

Don't forget... kittens need to stay with mom at least 8 weeks! This is very important for their mental development as well as their physical development.

We have found that kittens taken away from mom too soon can have aggressive behavior as adults.

Regards,

Jun 2, 2004, 06:59 PM
    Awesome advise.

My wife will be glad to hear that we keep the kittens another 3.5 weeks at least. Our original cat can't wait for them (and the mother) to leave though, have to keep them separated. The original cat is a jealous little woman. :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bowle Movements aren't what they used to be [ 2 Answers ]

On new years I went to stay at a friends house and we started drinking to celebrate the new years. I had a combination of Beer, Saki, Baily's Irish Cream, Brown Nut home brew beer, and bicardi during the night being the total equivlent of about 12 beers I would guess to say. Well anyway for the...

Weird bowel movements [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have a question about bowel movements I've been having diarreah (well, it's not THAT bad... more like really soft) for the about three weeks now. I noticed that it smells sour and before I had to go my stomach would hurt (after I went it didn't hurt). I went about 2 times a day,...

8 month old lab has bowel problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since I brought my puppy home with me at 7 weeks old, she's had diarrhea stools. Sometimes it's better, sometimes, it's worse. She's not sick or anything, she acts like a normal crazy puppy. I had a country vet who treated her for worms, then giardia, and then suggested I switch food. None...

Dark bowel movements [ 6 Answers ]

I have have unusually dark colored bowel movements the last week. Is that a sign of pregnancy or something else? Almost like a dark chocolate color. (trying not to be graphic) But I wanted to know if this is normal or something worse.

Bottle fed kittens - no bowel movements [ 1 Answers ]

We are feeding KMR to two kittens that are about 3-4 weeks old. They both weigh about 10 ounces and eat about 1/2 - 1 ounce of liquid formula twice a day. They have been urinating after every meal but we have not seen any signs of a bowel movement. We have tried to stimulate the rectum area to...

View more questions Search