Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GT OH YEAH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Which opportunity would you take?
    I have a unique situation, which requires a little explanation:

I moved to this town after college (graduated last Dec.) to learn a business from a mentor who is very successful. The idea is to work in various positions within his company for a few years while learning as much as I can, and then start a business of my own. Entrepreneurship is a passion of mine.

Over this last summer I had an "internship" with a commercial real estate company, which is unrelated to the business I have previously mentioned. I like commercial real estate, and it is obvious that it is a passion of mine. I have my real estate license in this state, and working/investing in commercial real estate is an option for me.

My mentor is also very successful in his real estate investing endeavors. Originally I was faced with a huge dilemma: Work full time in the company & learn the business or work full time as a real estate agent & begin investing & building a real estate company. After much deliberation, I decided that building a successful company would benefit the most in the long-run, and told my mentor that I would like a position in his company. Now that I’m here, I can see the amount of opportunity in real estate, and have been very tenacious with getting my hands dirty in some real estate investments. Although I have not started work yet, my mentor asks, “Do you want to work in my company or do you want to do real estate investments with us?”

Now I am in question about which avenue would be best. Why can’t I have my cake & eat it, too? Why can’t I work in the company and do real estate on the side? Apparently, my mentor doesn’t think I could do both. So in order for him to be fully committed in me, I understand that I must commit myself fully to one or the other.

Income wise, the salaried position would be a high-paying job w/benefits that would provide money NOW (and I'm broke - coming out of college). As a real estate agent, you only make what you can generate yourself. I’d need to buy insurance, etc. There is no guarantee I’ll make anything. However, with the recent investment activity, I would have made more than triple my salary in 6 months.

What would you do?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Your mentor asks: "Do you want to work in my company or do you want to do real estate investments with us?” And you have stated: "Income wise, the salaried position would be a high-paying job w/benefits that would provide money NOW (and I'm broke - coming out of college). As a real estate agent, you only make what you can generate yourself. I'd need to buy insurance, etc. There is no guarantee I'll make anything." It sounds as though in the real estate investment business you may have to take an equity position such as a partnership, which means borrowing money as well as enjoying the fruits. The salaried position sounds wiser to me because you will be learning about the business and earning a good living. You can be making lots of contacts and improving your equity without much risk. Do it for a couple years and get experienced. Besides, I haven't heard anyone say the current real estate market has bottomed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opportunity [ 15 Answers ]

Now that I'm single I have opportunities. I'm thinking of starting at work. There is a beautiful women here and I would like to ask her out. I believe I should introduce myself and ask if she would like to have a coffee outside work. What do you think. I have not dated anyone at work before but for...

Clarifying opportunity costs! [ 1 Answers ]

I understand the definition of "opportunity cost". However, I've got problem when linking between what I've learned and the practices. Therefore, could you please give me some examples which help me cover this problem? Thank you very much!

Business opportunity [ 1 Answers ]

Has anybody heard about the Unfranchise business system?

Home-based Business Opportunity [ 10 Answers ]

What is the difference between Coastal Vacations and Coastal Synergy Group. I am about to start Coastal as a home-based business. There is a slight difference I believe. Do you know what it is? Thanks, mnomnomno

Quixtar: The Business Opportunity [ 2 Answers ]

Just seeing if anybody has been involved with Quixtar themselves, what they think of it, what they've accomplished, etc. etc. I just recently signed up and I'd like to hear what you guys have experienced so far, if anything! And for those who say it's a scam, I'd rather you not post because...

View more questions Search