Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ennabre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 10:37 AM
    How to stop sewage odor? Old sink in garage was removed.
    We had a plumber once remove an old laundry tub/sink from our garage. Then recently we had a sewage back-up which plumber came to repair... most likely was caused by tree roots. There is still a terrible sewage stench coming from the garage. Plumber thinks it may be due to gases coming from the pvc pipe that still exists in the garage since the sink was removed. He suggested we stuff a rag into the pipe. We have done this but the odor is still pretty bad. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to the cause of the sewage smell, or how to go about eliminating it? Any advice or insight into this is greatly appreciated!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:17 PM
    If the sink was removed permanently why not cap the old drain with a PVC glued cap? An old rag is a terrible suggestion. If he left the old trap attached it may now be filled with the backed up sewage rather than gray drain water. Was he really a real plumber?
    Ennabre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennabre
    We had a plumber once remove an old laundry tub/sink from our garage. Then recently we had a sewage back-up which plumber came to repair...most likely was caused by tree roots. There is still a terrible sewage stench coming from the garage. Plumber thinks it may be due to gases coming from the pvc pipe that still exists in the garage since the sink was removed. He suggested we stuff a rag into the pipe. We have done this but the odor is still pretty bad. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to the cause of the sewage smell, or how to go about eliminating it?? Any advice or insight into this is greatly appreciated!!
    I'm not quite sure this is a drain that I'm referring to... it's a pvc pipe coming out of the wall in the garage. But sounds like you may be onto something. Would capping this pipe off be a good solution for this? Thanks for your input!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 07:05 PM
    That PVC was the original drain, it now is missing the trap and the tub. I would cap it with a glued PVC cap even if it doesn't fix the problem. No drain should be plugged with a rag. They dry out, fall out and are not air/gas tight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Methane?sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here. I have a methane/sewage smell in my utility room. This room has my water heater and furnace as well as my washer/dryer. I usually smell this odor when my furnace comes on. The furnace is sitting on a metal box and when I smell under the box when the furnace is on I am able to...

Sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

In the last few weeks, there's a sewage odor from the crawl space beneath our house that has got progressively worse. I tried to crawl under but due to health problems I couldn't get to the back of the house. Now I live in Los angeles, so I know it's not a septic tank issue. I'm afraid to call a...

Basement Sewage odor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Sorry if my question is redundant, but I searched the posts and couldn't quite find one that met the same situation I have encountered. My wife and I recently bought a home that was built 3 years ago. It has 3 bathrooms, one being in the basement. The problem we have noticed is a...

Sewage Odor Throughout House [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I found this site by accident and am hopeful someone can give me advice. We are experiencing a sewage type odor throughout the house whenever water is turned on. I believe it happens when it is traveling through the pipes, hopefully not under my home. It ONLY happens when water is used....

View more questions Search