Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    welderchick Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Tightness in chest
    I've had a feeling of tightness in my chest for over a month now. It is most bothersome at night as I can't stop coughing. My cough is most often dry but on occasion I do cough up small amounts of mucus.
    A little history about me is that I am a full-time welder and smoke about a pack of cigarettes a day. I'm wondering if I'm having early signs of asthma as this coughing and feeling of tightness in my chest has been consistent for over a month now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2006, 06:11 PM
    While it could be, at least with my asthma there is normally a trigger that makes it worst, a cat, smoke (the smoke in your house if you smoke in it all the time could make me so sick I would have to get out of it) Not every one is triggered the same.

You did not mention how old you are, how long you smoked, you blood pressure levels, and other issues that can cause various issues.

If you are on blood pressure or other medicine for a long time some people start getting a reation to some brands and it caused coughing.

Also I woul be more concerned over possible gases and metals that could be inhaled at a welding shop.

My best advice is that if it is astman it needs to be looked at and proper medicine taken, If it is not, you need to find out what.

Go to the doctor, get a chest X-ray and breathing tests.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Hi, welder,
    Have you seen a Doctor?
    If anyone, regardless of what occupation they have, developes a cough and it persists, they really need to see a Doctor. A simple X-Ray might reveal the problem, might not. That is up to the Doctor.
    I don't want to alarm you, but it could be a sign of Lung Cancer. That is why persistent coughs should be explained to a Doctor. Hopefully, it will not be something that serious. I do wish you the best, and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chest fat [ 3 Answers ]

I already asked this question below but couldn't find any good answers.my question is that I am 15 years old and I'm not fat.in fact I have a pretty nice body but have some fat around my chest area or "man titties".any exercises to lose the fat fast,I started to bench like 3 weeks ago but any...

Chest and pec [ 1 Answers ]

I have fat around my chest and my pecs how do I make my pecs smaller and reduce my fat so I can my six pack

Chest fat [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old.im not fat at all but have a lot of chest fat. I began working out like 3 weeks ago and now I am doing jump ropes.I sweat a lot A LOT!! But hardley sweat around my chest area where I want the fat to be burned. I am still sweating in the other areas, does that still mean that I am...

Chest fat [ 1 Answers ]

I did what you guys told me and lowered my calories intake and did more cardio.the thing is I lost fat on my upper chest area but there is still a lot of fat on my lower chest area "around the tits". Do I need to keep working out and do more cardio until I lose the fat or is there another way?

Fat around chest [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing jump ropes for about 4 weeks (since I can't go to a gym)to loose the fat around my chest especially my lower chest.I can only see a very little progress where my chest got in a better shape but I still have a lot of fat around it NOT:im not fat at all!! I am benching tooo.any...

View more questions Search