Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesleyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Cat urine smells strongly of ammonia
    My daughter came home from school and brought her cat, male, fixed. We have a cat already and her litter box has never smelled. My daughter's cat's box really really smells of ammonia. It hits you when you walk in the front door and I have tried everything to get rid of it. Any ideas or suggestions? Also, could this mean he has a problem?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Could it be that the male cat is spraying horizontaly, and going over the side of the litter box? I have two females, sisters, both spayed, and one of them insists on going like a male cat. I attached high plastic sides on the litter box, and solved the problem. Good luck.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 26, 2007, 07:47 PM
    How old is the litter pan? Plastic absorbs stink and if your litter box isn't bleached at least once a week it will absorb that horrible ammonia smell, making old litter boxes really stinky!

Try using a brand new litter box and scented litter and sprinkle a tablespoon of baking soda in the litter pan.
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Apr 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
    There are a lot of commercial additives for litter that may help with the problem, along with activated carbon which seems to work very well. Does the cat use an open litter pan? You can cut odor by getting a covered litter pan or an attachable litter box cover (think like a canopy bed). Does the male drink enough water? Dehydration can cause strong odors, and so can urinary tract infections. You may actually have to feed a little wet food to make the cat get some fluid into his system.

That all being said, males tend to have stronger scents that females. Also, what Dr. D said. ;)
    ninacon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 06:52 AM
    I would take a urine sample to the vet. If the cat is male, there is a possibility that the cat has stones or crystals. This can build up quickly and the cat can get sick very fast. Usually this indicates a UTI, or the cat is not drinking enough water.
    shintao Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 11:44 PM
    Change the box at least once a week. Add a blue/white crystals to the regular litter. A product like Oust antibacterial spray, used over the litter box daily. Males tend to over shoot sometimes and it hits the wall. They make litter boxes with one high side.

Males also have the kidney problems, no fish foods, & special diet & mineral free water. They sell wheat grass plugs in the veggie department. Indoor cats need that, and males need a special diet. Check him at the vet. :)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 03:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shintao View Post
    Males also have the kidney problems, no fish foods, & special diet & mineral free water. They sell wheat grass plugs in the veggie department. Indoor cats need that, and males need a special diet. Check him at the vet. :)
    I happen to know a bit about kidney disease, and can only say huh?

How about this instead: Cats are carnivores. They need a cat diet, not a "special" diet - just one for cats, which most food, especially dry, is not. Cats also eat little animals that are mostly water, and are supposed to get their moisture from their prey, not a nice, clean water bowl. Canned or homemade food is the closest we'll get to this. This provides help with flushing. Cats in the wild don't get nice bottled, filtered water. Most cats eat foods already WAY too high in plant material and don't generally need any more - indoor foods are a marketing ploy. Males don't need any more "special" diet than females - they need a cat-appropriate diet. Females end up with kidney problems as well, and probably for the very same reasons. Cats in nature don't eat dry kibble garbage full of more plant than anything else.

Instead of fixing the cat after giving them a bad diet, maybe we should be fixing the diet. Just saying.

And... the thread is kind of way old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Cat urine on carpet? [ 10 Answers ]

My cat urinated in a couple places in my basement. I've tried everything to clean the mess and make the odor go away. I've shampooed it and used carpet cleaner, pet deoderizes, etc. but nothing seems to help, the stinch still remains.. Any suggestions?

Ammonia cat urine [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there Quick question ~ I am a new cat owner (1 yr) and I have a sweet loving male neutered cat (Sir Chiggy) and I have just noticed over the past week that his urine smells very strong of ammonia. Never has before! To the point that my eyes water. Is this normal? Possibility of a UTI? ...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search