Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicodem Lihts Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2016, 02:58 PM
    Adoption
    Hello, I am 16 year old Cameroonian, I want to be adopted by a US citizen, but it is complicated and I have some questions and I would really be distressed if you answer me personally; 1) My dad is dead and my mum is married to another man with 4 children, and this making me have a stepdad, but she and her husband are still surviving parents, who are so poor that they cant finance the needs of their own child, so what about me. So I wanted to know if though my mum is wedded, I am still defined as an orphan under US law or can I still get adopted normally? 2) Do I need my mum's concern to get adopted, since I am 16, the person who wants to adopt want that we should do it under US Law, so I will first have to immigrate to the US with and get adopted there, this is possible? Yes, how?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2016, 03:22 PM
    Since you have a legal living parent, you cannot be adopted. Your parents may be poor, but you are not an orphan.

To be adopted your mother would have to abandon you. With that said, few people want to adopt teenagers, they want to adopt babies or very young children.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 12, 2016, 03:52 PM
    It's true - people want to adopt babies. And it's a long, complicated, expensive process. You write good English and know about computers. Is there any way you can give lessons in both in your city or town, to help with family expenses, and save a little for your future?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2016, 05:10 PM
    You are not a orphan, you have a mother, her being married or not married is not an issue of this.

Your mother would have to agree (and perhaps her husband in your country) to allow an adoption. But there is no one that is going to adopt a 16 year old, they want babies or at least very small children.

Next if you did find someone, they would have to travel at least twice to your country and arrange for the adoption. The process can take at least one year and two or more years is not uncommon.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2016, 05:41 PM
    the person who wants to adopt want that we should do it under US Law
    That sounds like you have someone who is agreeing to adopt you. I would be very cautious about this being a scam. I can't imagine someone wanting to adopt a 16 yr old. But for you to be able to emigrate to the US, you need to get a Visa and that means a sponsor.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 12, 2016, 06:40 PM
    This link to the Cameroon page of the Intercountry Adoption site from the US Department of State may answer many of your questions: https://travel.state.gov/content/ado.../cameroon.html

There are many requirements for the adopting parents (they prefer couples) including age, health, staying in the country for three months, etc.

Your mother would have to agree to agree to the adoption and sign legal documents.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 12, 2016, 11:25 PM
    Great link Cat. Based on this the original poster has a lot of paperwork, and legal issues to deal with if he hopes to be adopted to a US couple. Not going to be easy, and likely not possible. This could take years, and that's if his mother is willing to give him up for adoption, and the greater if is adoptive parents that want to adopt a teenager that's almost an adult and will likely be an adult once the adoption is finalized.

This will cost the adoptive parents a lot of money, time and travel. Not likely to happen to adopt a child that's already 16.

Oct 13, 2016, 07:37 PM
    Adoption when in the US
    I am 16, from cameroon, male, I recently met a man online, and told him my present life suituation, and he decided that he will help me, but when I told him I want to live in the US for the rest of my life, we agreed that he's going to adopt me. My dad is dead, and my mum married, but I talked about it to my mum and she agrees that she will give her consent document so I can be adopted. Since I cant be define an orphan by US law if I try to get adopted in my country, the man and I decided that he will come take me here, and we go and I get adopted in the US under US law, I told him about how my familly is, but he said ; I can come get adopted there, and that it depends per your request. 1)Is it possible that (considering that I am 16 and him 36) I go to the US with him and get adopted? How? What type of visa do I need in this case? 2) what type of document will my mum ( and perhaps her husband) need to make in order for me to get adopted this way? 3) how can I get adopted under US law in this case? And what type of request will permit such an adoption under US law?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2016, 07:42 PM
    Most likely this is a sexual predator.

At your age adoption isn't going to happen, especially since you already live with a biological parent. You are not an orphan, so this sick person, or anyone, cannot adopt you.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2016, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodem Lihts View Post
    I am 16, from cameroon, male, I recently met a man online, and told him my present life suituation, and he decided that he will help me, but when I told him I want to live in the US for the rest of my life, we agreed that he's going to adopt me. My dad is dead, and my mum married, but I talked about it to my mum and she agrees that she will give her consent document so I can be adopted. Since I cant be define an orphan by US law if I try to get adopted in my country, the man and I decided that he will come take me here, and we go and I get adopted in the US under US law, I told him about how my familly is, but he said ; I can come get adopted there, and that it depends per your request. 1)Is it possible that (considering that I am 16 and him 36) I go to the US with him and get adopted? How? What type of visa do I need in this case? 2) what type of document will my mum ( and perhaps her husband) need to make in order for me to get adopted this way? 3) how can I get adopted under US law in this case? And what type of request will permit such an adoption under US law?
    I know that you feel your situation is desperate, but this is not an avenue that is going to provide you with a solution. This man is a predator, intending to traffic you or prey on you sexually. The US is not going to allow this adoption of a 16 year old by a 36 year old man who went trolling on the internet to find a victim. Please listen to the previous posters, you are being set up here, and this is not going to be a solution to your problems. This man cannot adopt you.

Oct 13, 2016, 09:16 PM
    See I know he is bisexual and I too I am, so I don't care if sex is included, But my problem is to know, if he can adopt me, because he is going to come take me with his attorney Adoption is just what we want to do, so that I will be permanent resident of the usa How can we migrate, what are the documents he has to submit either to the US embassy here in my cameroon before we immigrate? What type of visa will I need?

Oct 13, 2016, 09:23 PM
    Continuation of the question of adoption
    See I know he is bisexual and I too I am, so I don't care if sex is included, But my problem is to know, if he can adopt me, because he is going to come take me with his attorney Adoption is just what we want to do, so that I will be permanent resident of the usa How can we migrate, what are the documents he has to submit either to the US embassy here in my cameroon before we immigrate? What type of visa will I need? And if adoption isn't possible, what can we do in order to imigrate together, should I take a study visa?

Oct 14, 2016, 02:23 AM
    Please don't start multiple threads. Just reply to this thread.

If this man is trying to lure you to the US for sex, that is illegal. You are a minor and this man is a predator. If he sponsors you for a Visa he will be arrested.

Oct 14, 2016, 04:13 AM
    What if we forget about sex and consider the fact I want to live with him so I will realise my dreams and get us citizenship, and that's why we wanted an adoption, forgeting about sex, he can still get me to the usa, right? How? And why did you say he will be arrested if he sponsors me?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 14, 2016, 04:29 AM
    The US is very strict about any matters pertaining to children, whether it's about adoption or sex or anything at all. You are a child until your 18th birthday, after which you have all the freedoms of adulthood. It could take that long for him to sponsor you to come here. It could take longer.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2016, 04:32 AM
    We don't "forget about" the obvious. The police won't, the INS won't. The more you push this the more red flags are waving. The more red flags are waving the less likely it will ever happen, and it was unlikely from the start. He's an Adult you are a minor, there is no such thing as consent in this country in such cases. And besides everything about this sounds more like attempted Immigration fraud. And even if it DID make it as far as that..he would use stall tactics to make sure if you didn't do exactly what he wanted, when he wanted, you would not have what you wanted and would likely be sent back.

Trafficking is not uncommon in the world. Not even in the more developed and wealthy nations.

Oct 14, 2016, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodem Lihts View Post
    What if we forget about sex and consider the fact I want to live with him so I will realise my dreams and get us citizenship, and that's why we wanted an adoption, forgeting about sex, he can still get me to the usa, right? How? And why did you say he will be arrested if he sponsors me?
    You don't really get it do you. This guy is a predator. He wants a sex slave, not an adopted child. It is unlikely you can get a Visa without his sponsorship. You will need to show that you have the ability to support yourself to come here. Or that you will have been accepted by a school for a student visa. If he tries to sponsor you, Immigration will look at him closely and they will find out he is trying to get you here for sex.

It just ain't going to happen.

Oct 14, 2016, 06:03 AM
    Forget about sex, if you say so, does it mean someone to help me realise my dream is impossible? This is what I ask him when I met him for the first time: "Hi, i am 16, from cameroon africa, I ve a dream i wanna realise and i need someone to help me -how can i help you? You can help me by helping me come into the usa, i live with you( like brother, son or whatever), you help me finance my studies and you help me get usa citizenship." This is how we discussed before we did such a plan of adoption. Ok if you say he is a predator or whatever, but is it possible that a us citizen help me realise that dream without an adoption? and explain how someone can help me realise that dream, because I really need someone to help me do that because I want a new life?

Oct 14, 2016, 08:18 AM
    I would say its very unlikely. I would look for international organization that sponsor immigration.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 14, 2016, 08:39 AM
    This man searches the Internet for people like you who want a better life or education or wealth, especially with the bait being travel to and citizenship in the US. I'm betting he is kind and generous so you will reveal to him your location and contact information. Your future with him "helping" is NOT citizenship but instead sex slavery in some foreign country. You very likely will be confined alone or with other slaves, abused, and starved. When you are no longer useful, you will be killed.

US citizenship plus adoption is a long and expensive process, and not something a stranger will happily go through for a teenager.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption please. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to get adopted by a perfect family. I am from South Africa, a boy and 15 years old. Please I have been threatened by my mother.

Adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Alabama & I have a one year daughter whose father has never been in her life & disappeared shortly after I found out I was pregnant. My husband of a year wants to adopt my daughter. What do we have to do.

Adoption laws Ohio father blocking adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I have a now seven year old boy. His father lives in Ohio and has been ordered to pay child support which he has done for the past three years almost consistently. He has no contact with his child and I can count on my hands the number of times he has seen him while we too lived in Ohio. He has had...

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

View more questions Search