Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelseacorrea929 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing
    MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military clause does not apply to me and won't let me off it. But I was under the impression that I could get off because it says on there " if tenant becomes eligible for military housing, and opts for it they can be let off the lease" is there any laws that say we can be let off?? Also, my roommates knew I was getting married, and refuse to sign me off the lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Sounds like you can get out of it, and landlord is just trying to be a jerk,

Your "law" is the contract that states when elegible, which you are as married to a service person. And of course your roommates don't want to signoff, since they would have to pay more per person ( not really good friends)

So your choices are basically to stop paying and hope the judge will agree with this opinon, if he does not, you would end up paying.

Or pay.
    All4Noah Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Keep records of everything thing girl! I went through the same thing and the landlord ended up paying me!! The law is on your side in this matter! Good luck and let me know how it goes!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chelseacorrea929
    " if tenant becomes eligible for military housing, and opts for it they can be let off the lease"
    Hello chelsea:

If you quoted the above sentence from you lease, then I think you're in the clear.

Tell the landlord to sue you and show your lease to the judge. I think it's pretty clear. It doesn't say anything about you having to be military in order to be able to take advantage of the provision.

excon
    chelseacorrea929 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 12:34 PM
    I have an apt with base legal on wed.
    It just makes me mad, because the guy said because my husband is not on the lease then it does not apply to me because I am not military... but then that just goes agents what the lease says, last time we tried not to pay, my room mates husband, who is my husbands ship mate went around the ship and told everyone my husband screwed him over, when I told them back in OCT we would not be there after DEC(they had more than a month to find a roommate), I gave them over 30 days notice I was going to be moving out, well it went around the ship and then he went and tried to get my husband in trouble with the apartment thing when my husband did not even live in the apartment and his name was not even on it.
    This whole thing is making me mad because we do not live in base housing anymore, so we do not get BAH and my husband is only a E3, and we had to pay rent last month while those two still live in there and with bills and a baby on the way, they have no idea how not signing me off the lease is screwing me over... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
    Thanks guys for the advice I am deff going to go to legal. On wed
    All4Noah Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Good Luck Girl... Keep your chin up!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
    The key here is the clause; "if tenant becomes eligible for military housing..." You became eligible for military housing by marriage. Therefore the clause applies to you. Tell the landlord (nicely) that you have received legal advice (do not say advice from an attorney just say legal advice). That stated that the clause does apply to you. So if he wants to sue you go ahead, that you are sure a court will side with you.

As for the shipmate, your husband should go to his direct superior about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military and probation [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I'm in the navy my husband is on probation can he came with me where ever I get stationed do you know the process

I married into military [ 3 Answers ]

I got married a month ago and I'm having second thoughts my friend said in the military you have 9 months before the marriage in final is that true

Military rules [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone would the military accept a person into it's services that is a hermaphrodite ?

Military married taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are both in the military, and were married in 2006. I lived and worked in VA for the year but am a NV resident. He lived and worked in MO and HI, and is a KS resident. We bought a condo in HI where he is stationed in 2006 so now we own a home in a state that neither of us is a...

View more questions Search