Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jafrywilson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
    What is the importance of
    Why the first year of engineering contains ordinary subjects If we cut that subjects the duration of course will reduce to three years so why the subjects added?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Which subjects are you referring to as "ordinary" ?

I took engineering and it's all related. You have to do technical writing for one because it helps you know how to describe mechanical systems in a standard way, sometimes they may ask you to take an english class before this if your english skills are poor.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Mar 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
    To paraphrase from Descartes (I believe it was him, anyway... it's been over 10 years since I read this)... In order to know everything about something, you must first learn something about everything.

For a more practical answer, a lot of people don't go to school knowing exactly what they want to do. A bunch of the people you know will change their majors somewhere along the line. Having core classes that everyone takes allows people to do that without having to start completely over. Further, it creates an actual community, as without those classes, you won't know anybody outside of your major, which is a bad way to do things. Plus, you do learn things that are useful from those classes... biggest things you'll pick up is other ways of communicating that you won't get in the technical classes themselves.
    jimbobcooley Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Now that I'm in the workforce, I know the importance of a lot of the classes. Communication skills are essential to any job, written or verbal. When I was in school (I'm just 3 years removed) I looked at classes as what I HAVE to take. If I went back now I would look at them a little differently. They are classes that you have the OPPORTUNITY to take. So learn as much as you can from each class. Looking back, there were very few classes that I took that didn't help me in some way later on. A couple of classes that didn't help me later were differential equations and cal 4 (there may be a few more). The rest however helped me in some way later.

JB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Importance of Irrelavent Courses. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm under a bit of a rush to get an answer from here, but I'd still like an answer that's confident. I live in Canada, but I'm sure the system isn't too far different from any other place concerning university. I'm going into Honors Art and Literature and planning on getting a Bachelors and...

Importance of Strategic Planning & Shareholders wealth [ 0 Answers ]

Explain or what is the importance of strategic planning and shareholder's wealth?

Importance of a designation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the Iimportance of designation ?

The importance of Rigor mortis [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me why rigor mortis is important to the pathologist. I need info on it for a table in my assessment. Any help would be invaluable.:p

View more questions Search