Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tabby662000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Children and SSI
    I know a 16 year old who is receiving ssi benefits. His parents threw him out of the house and are using his ssi benefits for their own personal use not for the child is there a way this child could get his own payee and receive his own benefits or can it be put into trust until he is 18 years old
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Sure it is SSI? I thought that was 65 and older.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 8, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Laws about throwing 'incorrigible children' out vary by state. Many if not most states will consider the parents as breaking the law. They are probably still responsible for his health and welfare and even any crimes he might commit - any expense. He really should go home, with police to explain obligations to parents.

Or he can notify Social Security that his parents threw him out of the house. They can't give the SSI to him. Getting it assigned to a legal guardian will take a lot of time
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2013, 10:50 AM
    As a minor he can't receive the benefits directly. Also as a minor his parents may be breaking the law by throwing him out. Without knowing generally local we can't tell.

Where is he living now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a father on ssi with 3 children can I get money for my children [ 8 Answers ]

I am a father on ssi with 3 children can I get any money for my children

SSI and children [ 2 Answers ]

I work 40hr+ a week to support my children I do my part in supporting the children I brought into this world but my children's father does nothing but break the law by burglarizing someone's house and stealing from them but he is applying for SSI he has been denied several times for SSI and SSD....

Children to get ssi benefits [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters father receives ssi disability he claims it is supplemental but he was court ordered to pay child support and I need to know what to do about my daughter drawing from the ssi.

Can children of a disabled parent who receives ssi also get ssi checks? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I apply for my 2 babies to receive ssi checks... I've been receiving an ssi check since I was about 18.. the mother of my babies is living back at her mothers because her mother has sarcoma cancer and had her leg amputated up to the tip and the cancer then spread to her lungs so she is...

View more questions Search