Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poor168 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 12:59 AM
    Collect unpaid rent and vandalize the place
    I have a rental unit which is in California. I provide trash, water and sewer. The tenant is not pay the rent since Sept, so I start the process to evict her. Within the time of the process she still stay in the unit. Now, I received my water bill which is 1450.00. She is out of my unit. I would like to know how can I sue her for this water bill. I think she is revenge to me so she let the water run days and nights to drive the water bill to sky high. I do not have her address, she had just out today. And also she is under SSI. Is it possible for me to collect the 1450 water bill and three month unpaid rent. She also vandalize my place. She is very anger about I evicted her. What can I do to protect myself in the future? Please help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2008, 07:42 AM

First, you can sue her if you can prove that the water bill was unusually high. You can also sue her for any damages beyond what the deposit covered. But if she is only on SSI there is little likelihood you can collect anything.

As for protecting yourself, did you do a background check? You need to take care in screening tenants.

Bottpmline though is this is part of being a landlord.

Nov 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
    I have all my pass bill to prove before she move in the average bill was around 250 for every two month. Soon after she move in the first bill was closed to 400. I give her 30 days notice at the same month, now the bill is 1420. Is that enough prove. If I win the case I am still not able to collect my loss. Is it what you mean? So if people with low income or received Government help are free for anything they do. What kind of the law in US. No wonder our County is going down.

Nov 13, 2008, 11:41 AM

Well they are not entirely free, but yes, such people do sometimes take advantage. You should belong to a landlord's association that can post something derogoatory on her credit report. This will make it harder for her to find a place to live and make it easier for other landlords to avoid making the mistake or renting to her.

Nov 13, 2008, 11:49 AM

The property I purchase is at a very small town, I am not sure do they have landlord association. How can I find out. I am very appreciate your help.

Nov 13, 2008, 11:59 AM

You may want to look at the county or state level, Try a web search for landlord association state (substitute your state).

Nov 13, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Thank you very much! I will try to find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use the deposit for unpaid rent? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a tenant the refuses to pay his last month rent. I need to know if I can use the deposit to unpaid rent? What are the ramifications if I do? This tenant has done damage to the apartment as well. He refused to pay rent based on things he broke in the house. I fixed most everything, some...

Tenants' unpaid utilies on my taxes, how to collect? [ 9 Answers ]

I own rental property in Wisconsin. I had a tenant move out at the end of September. His lease stated that prior to him vacating, he would need to provide me with copies showing all of his utilities were paid. He moved out without paying. Now, $272 of his utility bill has been transferred to my...

Acquiring Unpaid Rent! [ 2 Answers ]

After obtaining a judgement against my tenant to vacate my premisis after 10 days and pay my 3 months rent inc. court fees,late fees and interest I came across a situation. My tenant seems to have no desire to meet her obligations of providing me unpaid due rent for 3 months. Another problem that...

Can my landlord collect double rent [ 3 Answers ]

My lease expires the end of this month, but we are leaving the 13th. Are we entitled to some of that rent back if they rent it before the end of the month? Also, how many days notice do you have to give to vacate in So carolina if your lease is up anyhow?

Roommate owes 1500 in unpaid rent [ 1 Answers ]

I am from Michigan and my roommate who is supposed to be paying rent from us took our money and did god knows what with. He hasn't paid for a few months, totalling $1500. The landlord knows this, if he doesn't pay all the money before our last mont of rent is due can I sue him so we aren't stuck...

View more questions Search