Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Hates bowl, loves floor
    I just found out that my dog (2 years old) hates eating out of her bowl. This has just started to happen recently...

Her bowl is on the kitchen floor, and when I feed her, she'll grab a mouthful of food from her bowl, walk across the kitchen, put it on the floor, and start eating it. I thought that perhaps she liked that spot, so I moved her bowl to that spot, but now she drags her food to the other side of the kitchen.

Then I thought, maybe she hates her bowl now... so I got her a new bowl... nope. Same problem.

I've caught her "in the act" many times and have disciplined her not to do this, so now she no longer does this while I'm in the room or walking around... only when she "knows" that I'm not there... and by her "knowing I'm not there," I mean when I'm standing on my couch watching her from above.
    Hippopotamus Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 07:26 PM
    It's just a habit that some dogs have or form. There isn't really anything you can do to stop or prevent it. I know lot's of dpogs who do the same thing, trust me, it's fine.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
    I have 2 dogs one does it and the other never does. I think it stems from when they were young and had litter mates. Grab a mouthful and run so they could get their fair share and eat in peace. I'm not crazy over it but I figure that is his thing so I ignore it.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 12:57 AM
    I understand that, but... she JUST started to do this, after 2 years. I'm sure it's normal, but it's a little annoying that I have to clean up after her every time... so... no way of fixing this behavior eh?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 05:47 AM
    I was told by a trainer/behaviorist that dogs are still developing their personalities even when they are 2 years old, so this may be why you are just now seeing that trait in her.

When my dog does this he normally eats what he takes to the other room.

You could put her on a leash or a small tie out when you feed her or be on stand by and correct her whenever she attempts. I think actions that are instinctive in them are hard to if not impossible to break.
    josh1987 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Apr 20, 2008, 07:00 AM
    My dog used to do this a lot only she would stick her nose in the bowl and throw it across the floor I asked some dog pro's and they told me this is a survival/ hunting instinct all animals do it if they have some reason to fear their meal is in danger they will take it somewhere safe you may never know the reason why but it seems as if that may be what's going on. Try pouring some food out on a small place mat or a rug see if she'll eat from there. Could your dogs vision be getting poor for some reason?? Maybe she can't see when she puts her head in a bowl and it scares her try a plate too

Good luck!
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Apr 20, 2008, 09:20 AM
    You have unwittingly contributed to this problem by scolding her during meal time. The solution is to do the opposite, praise her when she eats out of her bowl. You could also dole out her dinner in very small quantities. Give her a small amount (one mouthful) and stand there while she eats it from the bowl. Then PRAISE her. Repeat. Do this for every meal for a few days (6-7 meals). Then give her larger portions, again praising after she finishes each portion. Do this for 2 days (4 meals) working up to feeding the meal in 2 "portions". Stay with her for the whole meal. Then the next day, give her the meal in 2 portions but walk away after you put the first portion down and see if she will eat it all from her bowl. Stay where you can barely see the area so that you know if she takes the food out of her bowl to the other side of the kitchen. If she eats from the bowl, return and PRAISE her, then give her the second half, and repeat (walking away, but keeping an eye on her from a distance). After 2 meals this way, try a meal with the whole portion at once.

With repeated praise for cleaning her bowl and not taking her food to some other area, she should become secure in eating out of her bowl again, and the problem will be eliminated.

If she does take her food out of the bowl do NOT scold, punish, etc. If she does this when you feed her meal in 2 portions and leave her alone to eat the first portion, don't feed the second portion. (She won't die if she only gets 1/2 a meal). Watch her the next meal so you can reward her for eating out of the bowl. Let us know if this problem persists at this stage and we can try something else.

Good luck!

Jc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Hey found an article about first loves and loves in my local paper, might interest you! [ 2 Answers ]

Love Story (from Bournemouth Echo) Might interest you, :P Nothing amazing but its sweet, a book is listed there some may be interetsed in.

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

View more questions Search