Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    w1ngman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2015, 11:18 AM
    Why culture is ordinary
    I have a question about why culture is ordinary, Raymond Williams mentioned that "culture is ordinary", but I really don't know what's that mean and could you please give me more example to explain it by using film ,TV, pop music,advertisement.. etc
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 26, 2015, 11:37 AM
    Have you read that essay? I'm guessing this is homework. Here's a tidbit that might help explain what he is talking about (and this essay is ANCIENT! 1958) --

"In this essay, Williams takes us to his roots, his rural Welsh home, to give us an understanding of why he dislikes current (as of 1958) interpretations of culture. Williams believes that culture should be defined as both (rather than distinguished between) a whole way of life with its common meanings, as well as the processes of discovery and creativity in the arts and learning." Cultural Studies: Raymond Williams: “Culture is Ordinary”

Here's another idea on what he meant -- Literary Theory: Raymond Williams "Culture is Ordinary"

Now, figure out how U.S. culture fits into his "ordinary" theme.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 26, 2015, 01:43 PM
    I haven't read it, but I will quickly say that to me, ordinary in this context means generalized and watered down. There are so many cultures in the US that I don't even want the word culture to be described for one country in less than a big fat book.
    In fact I don't want it at all. It's archaic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ordinary shares [ 0 Answers ]

A company has expected earnings per share EPS of R6.60, which an increase from R5.99 in the current year. The companys current share price is R50 and floatation costs are expwcted to be R10. The total value of the company is R350 000. Calculate the cost of existing shareholders is 40% of its...

Ideal culture vs. Real culture [ 5 Answers ]

How does ideal culture differ from real culture in U.S. society from other countries?

Is Rape Culture a new 'sex' culture? [ 14 Answers ]

I currently am writing a short summary response to an article and found this one to be the most crazy one ever. On college campuses rapes occur to be about 60-80 percent in occurrence. Only aobut 8-6% have been reported. Where is this all happening? In high risk fraternities, high risk as in risk...

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counter culture in referen [ 1 Answers ]

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counterculture in reference to the 1960s, was there one counter culture or were there may different counter cultures, what were the characteristics of the counter movements, was there a straightforward distinction between mainstream culture...

View more questions Search