Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cour2222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 05:11 AM
    SSD chils support exempt in va
    I was approved for social security disability in the state of Va and was told that I was child support exempt and was showed this on a legal document. A new worker at ssd office to my x that I was no exempt,, what's the truth here question 2,, I found out my x was letting her husband claim my son on his ssd for 14 years while I was paying her child support,, is that legal
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cour2222
    I was approved for social security disability in the state of Va and was told that I was child support exempt and was showed this on a legal document. A new worker at ssd office to my x that I was no exempt,,,whats the truth here question 2,,, I found out my x was letting her husband claim my son on his ssd for 14 years while I was paying her child support,,,,is that legal

SSI benefits are NOT automatically exempt - the law reads: " The exceptions are that benefits are subject: (1) to the authority of the Secretary of the Treasury to make levies for the collection of delinquent Federal taxes and under certain circumstances delinquent child support payments; and (2) to garnishment or similar legal process brought by an individual to enforce a child support or alimony obligation."

I don't understand how your ex-wife's husband could be collecting benefits for a non-blood person (your son). Maybe someone else knows. I know a natural parent can collect benefits and child support at the same time, the total amount of support being reduced by the benefits.
    cour2222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Ssd child support
    In va. Ssi and ssd are very different, I have seen legal papers that say if a person is approved for ssd then they are child support exempt in va... Is this true and where can I find that info,, thanks:confused:
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cour2222
    In va. ssi and ssd are very different, I have seen legal papers that say if a person is approved for ssd then they are child support exempt in va....Is this true and where can i find that info,,,thanks:confused:

It's confusing when you post two threads with the same question - I'm going to see if I can carry this over to the first thread.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
    >Threads merged<
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 11:13 AM
    In va. Ssi and ssd are very different, I have seen legal papers that say if a person is approved for ssd then they are child support exempt in va... Is this true and where can I find that info,, thanks

My post addressed SS Disabiity, NOT SSI - I posted wrong but the quote is right. SSD is NOT exempt. In reading this it appears to be Federal Law, not State law, that prevails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back child support with holding from SSD [ 1 Answers ]

How much can be taken out of my social security disability for back child support a month.

IRS garnished SSD [ 1 Answers ]

The IRS has garnish part of my $627.00 social security disability payments, leaving me with $526.00 a month to live on, can they do this.

IRS garnishment on my SSD [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just recently started receiving SSd monthly payments after waiting almost 4 yrs being disabled. The check I got for this month, November, I got no warning about, the IRS garnished some of it for back taxes on it. Now by them doing this, after I pay my rent, I have 54 bucks left to pay for...

Exempt and non-exempt salary [ 2 Answers ]

I know that non-exempt salary employees are paid for overtime. What is the federal legal requirement for an exempt employee. i.e. management?

View more questions Search