Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krltswy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Runaway child is now 18
    Hello,

My son just turn 18 and decided to runaway from the house and move back with his mom in NY, I live in Hawaii... He dropped out of school and borded a plane without my authorization... I know his mom is going to try to seek child support for him. He is currently in his last year of school... I have his custody... would I be forced to pay child support?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 07:41 PM
    If he is in your custody LEGALLY you are not required to pay child support unless she files for and successfully wins custody and files for child support.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Hello k:

If he's 18 he's an adult. Adults don't run away. They move to where they want to live. Nobody has custody of an adult. You don't pay child support for adults.

excon
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 07:45 PM
    If he's 18 he's an adult. Adults don't run away. They move to where they want to live. Nobody has custody of an adult. You don't pay child support for adults

Even if the child is 18, the non-custodial parent is required to pay child support until the child finishes school. I guess though since he dropped out of school no one pays child support for him anymore.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Well while he can't run away at18, he can leave, but this is a legal problem, if he lives with your ex, and goes back to school, including college latter, your ex can file for custody, and request child support, so yes it could happen,
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2007, 05:04 AM
    If he is 18 and not in school you will not have to pay support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Some of this would depend on the custody order that was agreed to at the time of the divorce. But generally, the advice you were given is correct. Once he turned 18 he no longer needed your authorization to do anything. Now if he used your credit card to buy the airplane ticket you can get him arrested.

Also, if he chooses to go back to school, your ex might make a case for getting child support.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Oct 30, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I believe that since he is now 18, even though he may be finishing his last year of high school, mom can not obtain "custody" in a legal sense as he is now considered legally an adult. So, it would stand to reason that you would not be ordered to pay child support as she could not obtain "legal custody". But she could file to terminate her paying child support to you on the basis that your son has "emancipated" himself. Child support would only be paid to you as long as your son is still in school and living with you.

However, I would really check with a lawyer for advice (most will consult for free) because the laws regarding child support, continuing child support for schooling and age of minority can be different in different states.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's movie with runaway children [ 1 Answers ]

This Movie Is From The Early 80's I Think. It Has Children That Run Away From Home With Their Older Sister. They End Up Hiding Out In An Old Shed In The Woods That Has An Old Tractor Inside And The Sister States They Can Eat The Pecans That Fall From The Trees Around The Shed. I Remember One Of...

Daughter wants to move out/runaway [ 1 Answers ]

My story is probably like most of yours when it comes to blended families. My daughter Bee is 13 and her father and I divorced when she was 5 months old. I remarried when she was 1 and a half yrs. Old. Her father got custody when we first divorced, but I got custody back when she was 3 years old....

Runaway cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi hope someone can help me my cat has recently had kittens they are nearly 4 week old but yesterday the mother went out and she has not come back yet (been over 24 hours now) what do I feed the kittens and how please help

Runaway Girl [ 2 Answers ]

What are the names of songe with the words Runaway Girl

Runaway heatpump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1400sq foot 2 story home built in 2005 with a single heat pump. The thermostat is located on the first floor. During the winter the heat will run and run to try to maintain the temperature on the first floor but the second floor will bake. For example, the first floor may be set to 70 but...

View more questions Search