Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moma1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2014, 11:29 AM
    Will child support for sibling affect disabled child ssi payments?
    Will a sibling child support payment affect disabled child ssi payments?
    Hello, I was wondering will a sibling child support payment affect disabled child payments. I just recent applied for child support because I found out my husband cheated on me. He say the only way he are going to help me, if we are together. I don't want him back. He is abusive physically and emotionally. So I final got up the courage to leave. I am 26 years old an is a full time student at a university. My husband and I have 2 kids.. But he will not give me money to help care for them. Unless we are together in the same household. I want to apply for child support for both kid, but scared it will affect my son ssi payment. Really need that money because it's hard to find a job that will work around school schedule. I'm almost a the end of my rope I have got far in school I have already got associate degree in psychology trying to get a bachelors degree but I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out of school to get a job. I know that degree will give me and my kids a better life. But rite now I at lowest. Please help will child support payment for sibling affect disabled child ssi payments.. I already know if the disabled child get child support it would affected it.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2014, 12:06 PM
    First where are you? There are differences in local laws so letting us know a state is great so there isn't as much guess work. Next, are you divorced or legally separated not just informally separated? If not, have you filed for divorce or legal separation? A child support order is generally handled during the legal separation/divorce process.

Jan 18, 2014, 06:31 PM
    No we are not legal separated nor have I filed for an divorce yet.. I live in Georgia.. In Georgia you don't have to be divorce or going through an divorce nor legally separated to receive child support from spouse..

Jan 18, 2014, 06:38 PM
    Thanks for your reply.. But the question were will child support for sibling affect disabled child ssi payments? Thanks again
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 18, 2014, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moma1 View Post
    Thanks for your reply.. But the question were will child support for sibling affect disabled child ssi payments? Thanks again
    From what Im reading it shouldnt affect it. In the link it states funds that are exempt from federal taxation. Child support so long as it remains child support is non taxable income.

interest or dividends earned on countable resources or resources excluded under other Federal laws;

Ref:

Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI)-- SSI Income
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2014, 08:53 PM
    SSI Spotlight on Deeming Parental Income and Resources

This link describes some of what is not counted when determining SSI. It does not list child support but does mention that foster care payments for a non-eligible child are not deemed. So, it is possible that child support could be ordered for one child but not the other and still have the SSI stay the same. If you want to know more for sure contact a local family law attorney (because at least where I am I have never known the judge to order support for one child and not the other not saying that it isn't possible I just haven't seen him do it). A lot have discounted or free consultations. You could also contact the social security office in your county. If the child support would be more than the SSI that is coming in it might be worth foregoing the SSI to get the greater amount of support. But if you have already figured that the support payments would be lower then it is worth trying to get both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can receiving ssi affect your child support payments? [ 14 Answers ]

I am currently paying 500.00 a month for child support for my disable 16 years old daughter. Her mother is also receiving ssi every month for her also. The mother is now trying to take me back to court for an increase in child support. Can my child support payments be lowered now that I have...

Child receiving SSI as child support payments does the child need to claim on taxex [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter is receiving child support benefits from her father who is on SSI disablity. Will she have to claim this on her tax forms as long as she made under 25,000. For the year. Also will her child support benefits continue as long as she is enrolled in a secondary school.

Can child support for one child affect SSI benefits for another child? [ 2 Answers ]

I will soon start getting child support payments for my son who his father has not paid in over 10 years but I'm concern that my other son who is disabled and gets ssi benefits that it will lower or take his benefits away?

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

View more questions Search