Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptmaat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 06:24 AM
    SSDI and child support issues
    Hi all, This is new to me, so any feedback is good feedback. I recently got approved for SSDI for serious health issues. My child support was around 600 a month and through Temp disability I kept up with that and childcare as well as providing insc for my daughter. I am a non-custodial parent that is remarried. My amout granted is in the ball park of 1600 a month I will be receiving from SSDI. I got a letter from SSDI stating That they will be taking About 800 out each month for child support giving it to my ex-wife for the care of my daughter. And addition to that my dAUGHTER WILL BE RECEIVING an additional 800.00 a month from SSDI directly. Now this will be apprx 1600 a month for my daughter versus what she used to get 600 a month of support from me. That's a 1000.00 increase and I will only be getting 800.00 to live on. Does this sound right?? Do I have to go to court to get my child support reduced or something. I live in NJ and I am not sure on what I am supposed to do. It seems that 800.00 will not even pay my rent monthly. Shouldn't my support go down if anything? Does anyone out there understand what I am saying? I LOVE my daughter and want her to be taking care of, however it does not seem like somrthing is right there. Please let me know if anyone can steer me in the right direction... :confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmaat
    Hi all, This is new to me, so any feedback is good feedback. I recently got approved for SSDI for serious health issues. My child support was around 600 a month and through Temp disability I kept up with that and childcare as well as providing insc for my daughter. I am a non-custodial parent that is remarried. My amout granted is in the ball park of 1600 a month I will be receiving from SSDI. I got a letter from SSDI stating That they will be taking About 800 out each month for child support giving it to my ex-wife for the care of my daughter. And addition to that my dAUGHTER WILL BE RECEIVING an additional 800.00 a month from SSDI directly. Now this will be apprx 1600 a month for my daughter versus what she used to get 600 a month of support from me. That's a 1000.00 increase and I will only be getting 800.00 to live on. Does this sound right??? Do I have to go to court to get my child support reduced or something. I live in NJ and I am not sure on what I am supposed to do. It seems that 800.00 wil not even pay my rent monthly. Shouldnt my support go down if anything? Does anyone out there understand what I am saying? I LOVE my daughter and want her to be taking care of, however it does not seem like somrthing is right there. Please let me know if anyone can steer me in the right direction...:confused:

If you feel that these amounts are incorrect or leave you nothing to live on you must go back to Court and file for a reduction in child support showing changed circumstances.

It appears that Court Orders are in place and the only way to change a Court Order is with another Court Order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support arrears and SSDI in PA [ 3 Answers ]

Can Domestic Relations take a disabled persons SSDI (their only income) for child support arrears?

Multiple child support issues. [ 7 Answers ]

I have 2 separate child support cases. I earn $48,000yr, I pay out $16000yr support. I am currently having another child with my girlfriend. I can get a standard deduction for my new baby of $3100yr. This is not fair sharing my income equally to all the children concerned. My question is this;...

Child Support Issues [ 4 Answers ]

My live-in boyfriend (of 5 years) and I have a baby. He also has two teens that he pays child support to (25% of his income). He also has to travel to another state every other weekend to see them, which is very expensive. We are really struggling to make it. Meanwhile, his ex makes over $250,000,...

Rights and child support issues [ 4 Answers ]

All right so my husband had a child with his ex wife.. no one is sure that the baby is his to begin with... but anyway, she never took care of the child so the child was taken away, her mother got her a lawyer and they settled out of court and then they came with the police and took the baby while...

SSDI Child Support Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I received 970 a month from ssdi and my child support order is for 940.00 a month how much of my ssdi can be garnished for this in Calif. Thank You Robin

View more questions Search