Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaryArli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 02:04 AM
    What do these terms mean?
    I seem to recall seeing the abrevs. Of something that I meant to write down but I got side tracked.. The acronyms were R.A.P and R.V.P. That is for sure as that's what I wrote down I know that it has something to do regarding the paranormal as that is what I was researching at the time. I also recall that it had something to do with updating something... I think. I saw it on a few web sites and wrote down the letters but forgot to record what they stood for or the sites that I saw them on, and I erase the history of my searches with PC shutdown. Any help would be apperciated!
    Thanks in advanced!! ;)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
    What is the context of these abbreviations ?

Jun 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
    Great... now we BOTH want to know. That was the whole point of my question... what do the abbreviations stand for?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
    What I meant was what's the site talking about as they maybe specific to the content.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
    By context he means where did you encounter those terms. For example, if you saw a sentence that said, you need to check the R.A.P. to figure out the throughput, we might have a clue. Those are not common terms so without context the only thing we can suggest is th Google the terms.

Jun 16, 2012, 09:24 PM
    Okay... I can see why this is wrong... I thought that I was submitting this question to the "Spiritual" category. I don't know how it got to computers for beginners. Sorry about that... No, I'm not blonde! How do I change the category or should I resend the question?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
    Moved to Paranormal

Jun 17, 2012, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryArli View Post
    Okay... I can see why this is wrong... I thought that I was submitting this question to the "Spiritual" category. I don't know how it got to computers for beginners. Sorry about that... No, I'm not blonde! How do I change the category or should I resend the question?
    ROFL. Some people do contend that computers are possessed ;) it was moved for you. For future reference, you can use the Report link to request a thread be moved. Also when you submit a question make sure you choose an appropriate topic.
    EidolonProject Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Jun 18, 2012, 04:03 AM
    Hi Mary,
    I actually have the answer that you are looking for. The terms have to do with communication with ghosts and spirits via different instruments. Most people unfortunately use the out dated term of EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena). This term is slowly being replaced by pro-active minds in professional parapsychology circles as the original terminology of EVP has changed. I best break this down to explain it.

History. Sweden, 1959... An opera singer by the name of Friedrich Jurgensen was out and about recording bird calls. Upon play back he heard a voice discussing the songs sung by night birds. Wise as he was, he first assumed that he picked up a radio station (this is the first thing a skeptic throws at a researcher... the ol' 'it's a radio signal' excuse. However as the voice was explaining how he could improve his bird recording techniques... in other words "Subject Related Information", Jurgensen decided to continue investigating. After publication of his book in 1964, a psychologist by the name of Kostantin Raudive picked up the ball and ran with it after meeting with Jurgensen in1965. The phenomena was called "Raudive Voices" for some time.

In the 1970's Ernest Senkowski coined the term Instrumental Transcommunication (ITC) which is still in use today. It was actually a more proper, correct and accurate term than the one that replaced it - EVP.

So why is the term "EVP" falling out of favor? Mostly it has to do with the "electronic" part. When ITC was in its infancy a computer took up entire floors of buildings. I recall the first one installed at the University of Alberta. The reels were the size of an extra large pizza boxes. A repair man had to enter the computer to make repairs. So you can see that things such as computer generated voices were a thing of the future. (Movies & T.V. science fiction shows does not count, as those were people talking like computers... not actual computer generated voices.) However times have changed and "Electronic" voices can be, and are, computer generated. Many are the times when I get tired of reading and have my text to voice program read my e-mails to me. Stephen Hawking is the best example of a person with an ELECTRONIC VOICE!!

Break down EVP. Is the voice that was captured "electronic"? NO (unless you're recording Hawking)
    Is the voice that was captured "Recorded"? YES
    The fact that it was recorded 'electronically' is assumed. I can't think of any tool that can record a voice that doesn't require electricy, be it AC or DC to operate. So again, the electronic aspect is assumed as well as obvious and therefore redundant. Need I add outdated?

The new term that is slowly gaining popularity is 'Recorded Voice Phenomena' - or RVP (finally he answers your question!) It not only uses proper usage of language that duscribes the procedure and it's results, it indirectly pays homage to Raudive (Raudive Voive + phenomena.) RVP is actually part of a broader term, that being the "RAP" you asked about. That stands for "Recorded Auditory Phenomena".

RAP's are recorded sounds such as footfalls, knocks, bangs... basically anything that may be paranormal in nature, but isn't a voice. EVP considers the sounds of someone walking up the stairs, or pots and pans falling to the floor as voices... where is the logic in that?
    Don't answer... there is none, and that is why the term of EVP has outgrown it's accuracy.
    So RAP is a category and RVP is a subcategory of ITC.

It will take time for the terms to become main stream. Change always does. People get stuck in a rut. Change means putting forth a concerted effort to improve things. That means thinking, and moving, outside the box, and not opposing positive forward growth. One of the pioneers of quantum physics (someone who thought outside the Newtonian box), Max Planc said it best. Although he refers to science, one could very well put the words paranormal research, parascience and/or parapsychology in it's place. I shall leave you with his words.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing opponents and making them see the light - but rather because it's opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

Jun 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Mr Pocha. This is a serious Q & A site. Not a place to promote your organization. We do not allow using multiple addresses to misrepresent yourself. Such as posting a question under one ID and answering it under another as you did.

Appropriate action will be taken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Terms of Sale [ 1 Answers ]

3.Terms of Sale. Indicate which firm of each pair you would expect to grant shorter or longer credit periods: a. One firm sells hardware; the other sells bread. b. One firm’s customers have an inventory turnover ratio of 10; the other’s customers have turnover of 15. c. One firm sells...

Algebra; Next 3 terms [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what are the 3 next numbers in the following series and explain how you figured it out? I'm absolutely horrible at math. Thanks in advance A. 10, 12, 18, 28, 42,. B. -5000, 1000, -200,.

View more questions Search