Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CyberSurfer409 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2005, 10:31 PM
    Processor and Graphic Card Comparison
    I'm currently looking at 3 different laptops. However, I've been unable to find a good site with information comparing the 3 processors, or graphic cards I'm looking at.
    Processor -Pentium 4 w/ HT Tech 3.8 GhZ 800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache vs
    Pentium M 2.13Ghz 533Mhz FSB 2MB Cache vs
    AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 3700+
    The guy at dell said the Pentium M, has or works like 2 processors so would outperform the Pentium 4; as it would act like a 4 Ghz processor.

Graphic Card - Radeon 9700 128MB vs
    GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256MB vs
    GeForce Quadro

If anyone could tell me how these compare stats wise, and which one is most worth the money I would appreciate it. Even a website with stats (framerates, etc) would be helpful. Also, if anyone could verify that the guy at dell was speaking the truth I appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Cyber
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2005, 05:26 AM
    The guy at Dell is partially blowing smoke. Another reason not to buy Dell. That most current Pentium 4s have Hyper Threading (HT) technology. HT means that your software can be programmed (by the programmers, not the user) to view the processor as dual processors. Essentially this means that the processor can be doing double the work at the same time. HT will speed up most tasks, but if the software is designed for it, there can be significant increases.

So both processors are hyper threading. A Mobile processor's clock speed is generally lower then a desktop's. That does not mean it's slower. Clock speed is not the only indication of performance. Generally you can about double a mobile processor's clock speed to compare it wioth a non-mobile processor. So the guy wasn't lying when he said it would preform like 4Ghz. He was just giving you a BS story about why. Basically, it sounds like the guy was trying to explain the clock speed difference to you in a way he thought you would understand. But in doing so he gave you wrong info.

The advantage of a processor specifically designed for mobile use is longer battery life, generally 50-100% better and a cooler running machine.

However, I prefer and highly recommend the AMD Athlon 64 processors. Right now the Athlon 64 is the only true 64 bit processor available to consumers. This means that when the new Windows Vista (I hate that name) comes out next year an Athlon 64 will be able to take full advantage of its 64 bit features. Also the Athlon 64 is the only processor with hardware anti-virus protection. When I needed to replace my desktop at the end of last year, I only looked at Athlon 64 based machines.

As for the video cards. Unless you plan on using the machine for heavy gaming it shouldn't matter much. Both are good video adapters.

Dell's service has been getting poor reviews lately. I think you will find, when you compare, that HP laptops are extremely price competitive with Dell once you compare the full configuration and include all the costs (like shipping).

Try tomshardware.com for comparisons.
    CyberSurfer409 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2005, 07:03 PM
    Thanks
    I just wanted to say thank you for the help. I think I can now decide which laptop I prefer. I wanted to let you know I did consider the AMD, unfortently the only laptop with AMD is through VooDoo and the system is not very good. Unfortently my only choice is between a good system with a Pentium chip, or a poor system with the AMD (unless I'm willing to spend another $1000 which I don't have). Anyway I really appreciate the help and thank you.

Cyber
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Have you looked at HP models. They have several (both under the HP and Compaq brands) that use the Athlon 64 M chip.
    Faloc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Hmm laptops ehh...

<ALIENWARE>

Best laptops in the world
    www.alienware.com
    http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT
    :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Graphic Card in the world ATI or NVIDIA [ 2 Answers ]

I am in dilemma to know which is the best graphic card between ATI and G- FORCE and about to buy a new graphic and I can invest so much money for graphic purpose.Kindly please tell me which is best card for gaming applications and rendering purpose and even tell me which is the best for video...

Require a website for UK price comparison [ 3 Answers ]

Hiya, very new to this site which looks brill... I need to find somewhere that can tell me prices in 1985 in the UK (prices of bread, milk, beer, newspapers etc etc) so that I can use the information for a birthday book that I am composing for someone. I would really appreciate someone telling...

Graphic software... [ 6 Answers ]

May I ask you guys... I'm having problem with adobe and corel ruler... their measurements are not exact in a real ruler... how can I fix it... :confused:

Small Riding Mowers Comparison [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1/4 acre lot in Fl and because I'm disabled I need a small riding mower, preferably with a Kohler engine(had a lot of bad luck with B&S) What do you recommend?

Processor Comparison [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers. I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. ...

View more questions Search