Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samanthar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Am I eligible to a British Passport?
    My identical twin sister and I were born here in Lima, Peru in February 23rd, 1987 to a British Father and a Peruvian Mother. However, they never got married and our father died in October 04th, 1995. My father was born in England, as a consequence, I believe that he was a British citizen by birth, and so, we can be British citizens by descent.
    I have read that marriage between our parents is no longer required, so I would really appreciate it if someone could please confirm this information and let me know if we are eligible for the British Passport.
    In that case, what should we do? Which will be the process to obtain the British Passport?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 01:50 PM

Your parents have never been legally married... this answers all your questions.

He was able to report births of his out-of-wedlock children when he was alive, and he failed to do it. Sorry...
    samanthar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Thanks for your answer, but I believe that their marriage isn't a requirement anymore.
    Besides, his name and signature appears in our Birth Certificate and when he went to the British Embassy when we were born, he was told that he couldn't register us since he was not married by that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Eligible to have French passport ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was born in France and brought up there, I left after 6 years and went back to my country. Both my parents are foreigners, am I elegible to have the french passport. Defineltely I speak french as my mother tongue but wondering who shall I contact and if I there is a chance a can get...

Is the baby eligible for a passport? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a German Ancestral passport. My grandparents were from Germany. I also hold a South Africa passport and have studied Teaching in Pretoria, South Africa the last 2 years. I lived in the UK for 6 years 2000-2006 and am going back to Scotland in February. My father works and lives there. I...

Obtaining British Passport [ 1 Answers ]

My father was born in Scotland and then moved over to Canada when he was around 3-4 years old. He does not have a british passport but has his birth certificate from Scotland. Am I entitled to a british passport based on him being born in Scotland? And I have a 1 year old daughter. If I obtain a...

Is the baby eligible for a passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a German Ancestral passport. My grandparents were from Germany. I also hold a South Africa passport and have studied Teaching in Pretoria, South Africa the last 2 years. I lived in the UK for 6 years 2000-2006 and am going back to Scotland in February. My father works and lives...

Am I eligible for a Portugeuse Passport? [ 1 Answers ]

My both my maternal grandparents and my mother were born in the Cape Verde Islands (when they were still a territory of Portugal). I'm looking to relocate to the UK and a friend told me that I should be able to get a Portuguese passport; without forfeiting my US citizenship. I was born in the US...

View more questions Search